The RadioReference.com Forums

The RadioReference.com Forums (http://forums.radioreference.com/)
-   Uniden Thread Archives (http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-thread-archives/)
-   -   BCD436HP Discussion Thread (http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-thread-archives/278120-bcd436hp-discussion-thread.html)

N8OAY 11-23-2013 9:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3MTA344 (Post 2075529)
Look at these prices at this angle. The other day I was going through receipts from years ago and found one from May 2005.

I bought from a local HAM shot a Uniden BC296D portable digital scanner and I paid 519.99 for the radio back in 2005.

So these prices are not crazy at all compared back to year 2005. Back in 2005 that was a lot of money.

So for the technology and all of the features of a portable unit the price has only increased 20 bucks in 8 or 9 years now. I am serious. I was shocked when I found this receipt.

As I remember is that in the BC296D there was a separate digital card that was a separate item that was installed into the back of the radio so you could get the digital talkgroups. Its was a solid radio. I sold it and got top dollar for it too.

Bringing back memories...comparatively speaking, scanner priced have gone down over the years. $519.99 was a lot 8 years ago, but back in the early 1980s, I paid $350 for a 50 channel Bearcat 300. That was a whole month's pay at the time!

N8OAY 11-23-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoryD81 (Post 2075870)
Someone asked about an AC adapter for the handheld-It obviously uses 3 AA batteries, either alkaline or rechargeable depending on your preference, the rechargeables can be recharged by using any external AA battery charger compatible with NiMh batteries or by using the supplied USB cable and connecting it to a PC, or more importantly any AC-USB adapter that I'm sure most all of us have plenty of laying around from most cell phones or tablets that would work for this, I'm not sure if the specs for power consumption or requirements were listed anywhere yet, but I know on 'similar models' that use 4 AA's a AC USB adapter for an old cell phone (5v at 500ma or 2.5watts) works fine for use and charging, so I would assume newer adapters like those for iPhones (5v at 1000ma or 5watts) or larger capacity ones for iPads (5v at 2000ma or 10watts or 2400ma or 12watts, depending on the version and adapter) would definitely supply more than enough power to charge the unit (when it's off only) or supply power for use/scanning at high or full volume and backlight on and bright. I can't say how fast the 436 will charge, but the 'other model' with 4 AA's charges at a rate of 150ma/hr, so that might give some idea what kind of power requirement one would need if using external power supplies for the 436, but I can't guarantee any of that since I don't have those specs in front of me for this new scanner, you will if you get one :) In the manual it shows the items included with the scanner and it does list an AC adapter without a notation of "BCD536HP only" like it does for the cigarette lighter plug (which is another item very inexpensive to get for using a USB cable for power on the 436), so it might include the AC adapter.

One other option for charging with the USB cable that many folks may overlook is a USB Hub. Most USB hubs are powered, which would also provide the required 5vdc, and will definitely supply enough wattage. And a USB Hub would probably never be powered off unless you use a surge/power strip to turn everything off that is plugged into it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182212

N8OAY 11-23-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzalu (Post 2075939)
I would caution that the battery compartment door is usually not meant to handle continuous removal and re-insertion and eventually will wear out the plastic tabs that hold it tightly in place. a better latching door would be ideal for this... or better yet, DROP IN CHARGING... why hasn't this been offered yet?

My high end MotoTRBO 7550 cost me $550 dollars, meets milspec, has TREMENDOUS battery capacity and is designed to be easily dropped charged... surely this can be accomplished within the $500 price. I even bet there are standard slide on/off batteries out there the scanner can be made compatible with so as to allow for pricing to be competitive. No need for yet another proprietary connection or mounting.

This I think will become a pet peeve for many people. If Alinco can ship their $290 DJ-G7T tri-band HT or their $400 DJ-X11T wideband scanner with a Li-Ion battery AND drop in rapid charger, why can't any of the past, present or future scanner manufacturers do it? And those radios are designed to withstand frequent opening and closing of the latches that hold the battery in place. Most drop-in chargers have the ability to charge a battery without the radio so that you can be using one battery on the radio while another is charging.

PUHLEEZE UpMan, give us Li-Ion and Drop-In charging with the next new model!

PanJurekMrJerry 11-24-2013 12:11 AM

Youtube Video Link AboutThe Two New Scanners: BCD436HP & BCD536HP

I just found this link on YouTube Thought that you might want to see it too.

Here is the link: Uniden New Scanner Launch - YouTube

PanJurekMrJerry 11-24-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzalu (Post 2076326)
Everyone, this has been answered. Yes you can use any USB lead that suplies power... including a USB wall wart such that for an iPhone or any modern cell phone. If you don;t have a spare (and the unit may come with one) you can buy them at BestBuy, Walmart, K-Mart, Amazon etc.

iPod & MP3 Wall Chargers - Best Buy

Rayovac USB Wall Charger - Walmart.com

Travelocity Usb Wall Adapter Adapter from Kmart.com

Amazon.com: USB Wall Charger: MP3 Players & Accessories

Will these devices supply the proper voltage for the BCD436HP?

SquierStrat 11-24-2013 8:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzalu (Post 2075939)
I would caution that the battery compartment door is usually not meant to handle continuous removal and re-insertion and eventually will wear out the plastic tabs that hold it tightly in place. a better latching door would be ideal for this... or better yet, DROP IN CHARGING... why hasn't this been offered yet?

fwiw, ive taken the battery door off of my396xt at least once a day for the last 2 years, and its still just as secure as it was the day i bought it. It may wear out someday, but when it does, with the prices uniden charges for parts, i cant imagine it costing more then $5.. Totally worth it to me. If it had a battery pack that died on me, i wouldnt be able to stop at the nearest grocery store, department store, dollar store, gas station, or wherever, to get my scanner going again.

fxdscon 11-24-2013 8:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanJurekMrJerry (Post 2076920)
I just found this link on YouTube Thought that you might want to see it too.

Here is the link: Uniden New Scanner Launch - YouTube

That video was announced in these forums by Uniden over a month ago.

http://forums.radioreference.com/uni...ml#post2060434

More of them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/UnidenUpman?feature=watch

gonzalu 11-24-2013 12:59 PM

I wonder how the meeting went with the App Dev guys yesterday, UPman ;)

RogerH11 11-24-2013 1:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N8OAY (Post 2076898)
This I think will become a pet peeve for many people. If Alinco can ship their $290 DJ-G7T tri-band HT or their $400 DJ-X11T wideband scanner with a Li-Ion battery AND drop in rapid charger, why can't any of the past, present or future scanner manufacturers do it? And those radios are designed to withstand frequent opening and closing of the latches that hold the battery in place. Most drop-in chargers have the ability to charge a battery without the radio so that you can be using one battery on the radio while another is charging.

PUHLEEZE UpMan, give us Li-Ion and Drop-In charging with the next new model!

No way! An expensive battery pack will be a deal killer. With only one battery pack the scanner would be tied to a power source half of the time thus defeating the purpose of a portable. An optional second battery pack would cost a fortune and the radio would become worthless if there is a long power outage. I have a bunch of AA rechargeable on hand along with alkaline in stock and can find AA anywhere at a reasonable price! I never want to see a battery pack in ANY form again! Bad idea!!!

NWI_Scanner_Guy 11-24-2013 2:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerH11 (Post 2077159)
No way! An expensive battery pack will be a deal killer. With only one battery pack the scanner would be tied to a power source half of the time thus defeating the purpose of a portable. An optional second battery pack would cost a fortune and the radio would become worthless if there is a long power outage. I have a bunch of AA rechargeable on hand along with alkaline in stock and can find AA anywhere at a reasonable price! I never want to see a battery pack in ANY form again! Bad idea!!!

+1

:)

troymail 11-24-2013 2:36 PM

I'm very happy with AA batteries. I agree... no more specialty/ cordless phone batteries thank you very much. However, a good quality charging system coupled with a drop in/cradle charger would be really nice... And for bonus points, allow the charger to trickle charge to full (then stop!) even while the radio is powered on/in use (my radios are on 24/7/365).

SouthSoundScanner 11-24-2013 3:11 PM

Would it be possible for someone at Uniden to post a few Photos of the open Battery Compartment and a picture or two of the side,(with the rubber cover open) where the USB and GPS plugs in.

Jay911 11-24-2013 3:14 PM

I too would like to see some better external shots of the 436 please Paul if you can. :)

03msc 11-24-2013 3:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troymail (Post 2077185)
I'm very happy with AA batteries. I agree... no more specialty/ cordless phone batteries thank you very much. However, a good quality charging system coupled with a drop in/cradle charger would be really nice... And for bonus points, allow the charger to trickle charge to full (then stop!) even while the radio is powered on/in use (my radios are on 24/7/365).

I don't think they're talking about the old 'cordless phone style' battery packs that you switch out by unplugging and replugging the little wire connector inside the radio, I think he was meaning a snap on battery and drop in charger like basically every portable radio on the market uses.

Even if it sticks with AA batteries, a drop-in charger option would really be nice.

Voyager 11-24-2013 3:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03msc (Post 2077221)
I don't think they're talking about the old 'cordless phone style' battery packs that you switch out by unplugging and replugging the little wire connector inside the radio, I think he was meaning a snap on battery and drop in charger like basically every portable radio on the market uses.

Even if it sticks with AA batteries, a drop-in charger option would really be nice.

As has been mentioned several times, a charger that charges all the cells in series would not properly charge the cells and could lead to internal shorting and melting of the cell and any plastic around the cell.

The only proper way to charge cells is individually, and that means each cell would have to be isolated which means the scanner would have to combine the cells internally which for 3 cells means 6 charging contacts and 6 scanner contacts. Do-able, yes, but not ideal.

And before someone says "Well, MFR X does it", yes, I know. If one cell goes bad, you have to spend $100 on a new battery pack.

+1 more to the side of keeping the status quo - using stock and relatively inexpensive cells.

Of course, this is already a non-issue for the 436, so it's really OT for this thread.

Joe M.

fxdscon 11-24-2013 3:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay911 (Post 2077214)
I too would like to see some better external shots of the 436 please Paul if you can. :)

Strange that the FCC report page says that the 436 external pics won't be available on their site (short term confidential) until 12/21/2013....

where the 536 external pics were no longer confidential on their site after 11/16/2013 - the date both scanners were announced by Uniden.

redburgundy 11-24-2013 4:27 PM

Quote:

See page numbered 11 of the user manual that was submitted to the FCC with the 536:
https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicat...tml?id=2077530
(not certain that link works)

NWI_Scanner_Guy 11-24-2013 4:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redburgundy (Post 2077272)
See page numbered 11 of the user manual that was submitted to the FCC with the 536:
https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicat...tml?id=2077530
(not certain that link works)

Well, the link took me to the FCC website, but then I got this...."You are not authorized to access this page."

:( Bummer

bear780ks 11-24-2013 4:35 PM

Jay I agree..

Quote:

I add my 2 pennies :D in there with ya Jay how about: The Front a tad closer to the unit, The Back with the battery door removed so we get a peek in side of those battery wells, And some Side views..

redburgundy 11-24-2013 4:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxdscon (Post 2077230)
Strange that the FCC report page says that the 436 external pics won't be available on their site (short term confidential) until 12/21/2013....

where the 536 external pics were no longer confidential on their site after 11/16/2013 - the date both scanners were announced by Uniden.

The Confidentiality Letter cites an FCC Public Notice (DA 04-1705) that permits temporary confidentiality for 45 days after the date of grant.