RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 4:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideScannerGuy View Post
Well, the link took me to the FCC website, but then I got this...."You are not authorized to access this page."

Bummer
Then you'll have to get it through the Generic Search page:
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...ericSearch.cfm
Sponsored links
Old 11-24-2013, 4:39 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideScannerGuy View Post
Well, the link took me to the FCC website, but then I got this...."You are not authorized to access this page."

Bummer
You just have to enter it from your own search of the FCC database is all. It's the same manual as on the Uniden site. And those pictures are just CGI renderings of the radio, and don't have the connector ports open for us to see.

Even just confirmation that the GPS connector is the same thing that's been on the 396 (and the 996 front panel) would suffice.
Old 11-24-2013, 4:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I assumed that the 436HP would have all its connections like USB, GPS and SD Card Slot under the removable right rubber pad, but somewhere I read that the micro SD Card slot was actually the last or bottom small opening right under the front speaker grill.

I guess this would be better than in the battery pack compartment but a bit exposed.
Old 11-24-2013, 4:53 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I will admit on here it is Hard to find the Info on the new Scanners, Just doing Like doing a Google search of it.. So the info that is posted on here to me is much appreciated.. bear
Old 11-24-2013, 5:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
Even just confirmation that the GPS connector is the same thing that's been on the 396 (and the 996 front panel) would suffice.
The manual says:
For the BCD436HP, use the 4-pin mini plug to connect to the scanner using a NMEA compatible GPS device.
That suggests there is one mini-USB connector, which serves as power supply connector, data connector for Sentinel data, and data connector for GPS data.
The picture shows a rubber flap on the right side, which probably lifts up.
It's basically the same as the PSR-800.
Sponsored links
Old 11-24-2013, 5:10 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by redburgundy View Post
The manual says:
For the BCD436HP, use the 4-pin mini plug to connect to the scanner using a NMEA compatible GPS device.
That suggests there is one mini-USB connector, which serves as power supply connector, data connector for Sentinel data, and data connector for GPS data.
The picture shows a rubber flap on the right side, which probably lifts up.
It's basically the same as the PSR-800.
I beg to differ - the PSR-800 has a single mini-A USB on the side, which is used for power and data. The enlarged view of the 436 indicates "GPS" very high on the rubber cover and "USB" on the other end. I would posit that the "USB" is used for power and data, and "GPS" is the 4-pin serial that is the same as on the 396 and the 996's front panel. But it's impossible to tell until we get an official answer.
Old 11-24-2013, 5:36 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear780ks View Post
I add my 2 pennies in there with ya Jay how about: The Front a tad closer to the unit, The Back with the battery door removed so we get a peek in side of those battery wells, And some Side views..
I asked the same Question in Post # 452
Old 11-24-2013, 5:58 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I would posit that the "USB" is used for power and data, and "GPS" is the 4-pin serial that is the same as on the 396 and the 996's front panel.
The above is correct.
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR
Old 11-24-2013, 8:10 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Red face

Whoops my mistake Sorry! S.S.S. And hopefully Paul will see all of the request tomorrow and can Post some pictures.. I'm sure he'll have some good one's to Share bear
Sponsored links
Old 11-24-2013, 9:23 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Maybe the radio is not manufactured yet? Perhaps that's why the image we see looks so perfect... maybe a computer generated image?
Old 11-24-2013, 9:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
Maybe the radio is not manufactured yet?
There is at least one in existence. It was in the announcement video.
Old 11-24-2013, 9:50 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyFlyer View Post
There is at least one in existence. It was in the announcement video.
And it would appear Gommert from Butel software has one:

Uniden BCD536HP - YouTube

as well as Lindsay:

The new Uniden BCD536HP in action - YouTube

Old 11-24-2013, 9:53 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdscon View Post
And it would appear Gommert from Butel software has one:

Uniden BCD536HP - YouTube

as well as Lindsay:

The new Uniden BCD536HP in action - YouTube

That's not the 436. That's the 536.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
That's not the 436. That's the 536.

Ooops... missed that 436 was the subject!
Old 11-24-2013, 10:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hi All, I am new here and I am from Bellingham, Washington.. I am looking for a scanner and this one seems like it might fit the bill.... with there being a release in Jan of the product ,, and it sounds like updates for the unit coming around march do you think that all updates will be over internet or will we have to send the units back to uniden or wherever to get the updates done... Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 11-24-2013, 10:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH11 View Post
No way! An expensive battery pack will be a deal killer. With only one battery pack the scanner would be tied to a power source half of the time thus defeating the purpose of a portable. An optional second battery pack would cost a fortune and the radio would become worthless if there is a long power outage. I have a bunch of AA rechargeable on hand along with alkaline in stock and can find AA anywhere at a reasonable price! I never want to see a battery pack in ANY form again! Bad idea!!!
Guys, Please! Don't get all bent outta shape! You CAN have your cake and eat it too! If it is designed correctly, you can have a scanner that comes with a Li-Ion snap-on battery pack, a drop-in smart charger AND the option to use AA cells when you need to. I am not talking about the old style of battery packs that Uniden used with the BC235XLT or BC245XLT that have a little tiny pigtail like cordless phone batteries. I am talking about the same kind a battery packs that commercial radios like Police, Fire and EMS use and like ham radios use.

Every portable ham radio I have bought since I got my license in 1991 has come packed with both the sealed rechargeable battery AND a pack for AA cells. Have any of you used a Yaesu, Icom or Alinco scanner? They are made the same way. Some of them even share batteries with the ham portables.

The Li-Ion batteries last forever. When I use my Yaesu VX5R or VX-150 for listening only, I get 2 to 3 days out of a single charge scanning railroads. I know some of you guys are photographers or news media listening to public safety for leads for stories or photos. You would probably need to Li-Ion packs to get through a day. I am still using the original battery that came with my VX5R in I think 1999 or 2000. when I bought the radio. Consider the cost of one or two extra Li-Ion packs that last several years compared to sets of NiMH or Ni-Cad AA cells that are good for only 300 to 400 charge-discharge cycles. You are saving a lot of money. Keep a few sets of alkaline batteries for use during extended power outages and you still save a ton of money.

The Li-Ion batteries are a lot more convenient to use than AA cells. You snap a latch to remove one battery, slide the fresh charged battery into the slot and snap the latch closed. It's quicker than swapping out AA cells.

PSR-500, PRO-96, BC780XLT, PRO-2067, PRO-2006/OptoScan 456, FT-7900, VX5R, VX150
Old 11-24-2013, 10:58 PM

For location based scanning i wish using a bluetooth GPS was possible. The new Bluetooth GPS's work great on Ipads while flying, or in a vehicle. Less wires is better.
Old 11-25-2013, 6:44 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlkeithp View Post
Hi All, I am new here and I am from Bellingham, Washington.. I am looking for a scanner and this one seems like it might fit the bill.... with there being a release in Jan of the product ,, and it sounds like updates for the unit coming around march do you think that all updates will be over internet or will we have to send the units back to uniden or wherever to get the updates done... Thanks
Updates are thru the internet. Download them from the Uniden site, hook up the scanner to your computer, run the program and you will be good to go. In the event of a scanner being an HP model, the updates are done thru the Sentinel software. Start the program, click on update firmware and the Sentinel program does the rest.

Hope that helps.

And welcome to Radio Reference!

Old 11-25-2013, 7:11 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"Trunking Discovery" sounds like a neat feature using the audio recorder.

http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/New...N_10182013.pdf
Icom 718 // Baofeng UV-5R+ // Yaesu FT-2900R
Old 11-25-2013, 7:19 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I wanted to check out the scanner up-close but it was difficult with the Uniden video because the shots kept changing. I imported the Uniden presentation into iMovie and clipped out just the scanner shots, then uploaded it to YouTube. No copyright infringement intended, and I'll gladly take it down if requested by Uniden, but I doubt there will be a problem as it simply exposes their scanners better.

BCDx36HP - YouTube

Tags
bcd436hp, bcd536hp