RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 6:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownlab View Post
I am sorry if this has already been asked but how much do we think the 436HP or 536HP will retail for?
$499 and $599 respectively. A few stores are taking advance orders.

PSR-500, PRO-96, BC780XLT, PRO-2067, PRO-2006/OptoScan 456, FT-7900, VX5R, VX150
Sponsored links
Old 12-21-2013, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03msc View Post
What problems do you have? Do you directly download it from the RR database and upload it to your radio and still cannot receive anything?
I have strong signal strength, but the average received transmission misses every other word, or so.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:06 AM

Hey, do you know if/when Amazon will carry these? On the Uniden site Amazon is listed as a place to buy. I contacted Amazon and they couldn't give me an answer.

Also, I wouldn't mind place a pre-order but I don't want to be charged until it ships and I'd prefer free shipping and no sales tax.
Old 12-22-2013, 1:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
Your membership can't be canceled. If you really don't want it, just stop using it.

This is not like a magazine where canceling your subscription sends a message to the publisher that you're no longer paying for their product. Saying you're giving up on RadioReference is, well, pointless, except to prove that you have an attitude problem.
(FWIW, I'll be glad to go over to his location and modify his computer so that it will no longer get RR.)
Old 12-22-2013, 7:25 AM

Default BCD436HP Discussion Thread

Any information regarding charging nimh's on board? Will it be a timed charger or voltage cut off or "smart" charge?

Furthermore, will the clock reset if the batteries are pulled out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2013, 8:52 AM

Does anyone know if this has a pre-event buffer for recording? I would like to see something where it saves the last 30 seconds or so of a transmission at all times so when you hit record, the last 30 seconds are saved. On those 'hot calls' sometimes you miss those first few seconds until you realize it is a hot call.
Old 12-22-2013, 9:06 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Re: BCD436HP Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycophpd View Post
Does anyone know if this has a pre-event buffer for recording? I would like to see something where it saves the last 30 seconds or so of a transmission at all times so when you hit record, the last 30 seconds are saved. On those 'hot calls' sometimes you miss those first few seconds until you realize it is a hot call.
I know the HP-1 does that, so hopefully that feature will carry over to the newer models.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2013, 9:16 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycophpd View Post
These radios are HomePatrol-1 designs in XT form factors, so anything that is true for the HP1 is likely true for the x36.

There are two different recording features in the radio. One records all traffic for later review, and another records up to 240 seconds (4 minutes) of traffic for immediate replay. These are mutually exclusive - you can have one or the other, but not both. The recording time does not include gaps with no traffic - 240 seconds means 240 seconds of actual transmissions.

If you do not turn on the feature which records all traffic, then the replay feature is on by default, and you can play back up to the most recent 4 minutes.
Old 12-22-2013, 9:17 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Try Ham Radio Outlet in Delaware.

Jim
Sponsored links
Old 12-22-2013, 11:30 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun Co Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8OAY View Post
$499 and $599 respectively. A few stores are taking advance orders.
Thanks

A stopped clock is wrong most of the day!
Old 12-22-2013, 7:34 PM

I was just looking at the BCD536HP and how the ring can be configured to light up in different colors around the volume control per channel programming.. Very cool..... Why couldn't Uniden do the same thing for the top mounted volume control in the BCD436HP... And add a color ring at a more useful location that can be seen from all angles??
Old 12-22-2013, 8:38 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Heck, make the whole button light up
Old 12-22-2013, 8:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter900 View Post
I was just looking at the BCD536HP and how the ring can be configured to light up in different colors around the volume control per channel programming.. Very cool..... Why couldn't Uniden do the same thing for the top mounted volume control in the BCD436HP... And add a color ring at a more useful location that can be seen from all angles??
Does the BCD436HP backlight change to the different colors, like the 396XT does?
Old 12-22-2013, 9:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimg View Post
Does the BCD436HP backlight change to the different colors, like the 396XT does?

From the owner's manual:

LCD Display: 192 X 160 Full Dot Matrix LCD with white-color backlight.

Old 12-22-2013, 9:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter900 View Post
Being technical here but it isn't around the volume control it's under the selector knob (remember on the new model the volume and squelch knobs are moved to the right and the silver selector knob is on the left).
Sponsored links
Old 12-23-2013, 10:39 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8OAY View Post
Count me in on wanting one of those! But make it a separate device rather than an additional feature in an already expensive scanner.
Yes, that was the idea - a dedicated unit that would scan the video bands, and not a add on feature.

OK, see, there you go Paul - you've got two buyers right here! (Now all we need is a few thousand more votes and he might actually build us one.)

-AZ
Old 12-23-2013, 11:06 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrush View Post
This is the uniden email

Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 12:10 PM
To: Brush
Subject: RE: scanners

Unfortunately there really is no current solution for the issues that come up on simulcast systems. We are going to release two new scanners in January 2014 but they are also going to experience the same kind of issues. The new scanners will mainly have the ability to support Phase II and X2-TDMA digital systems added while the current scanners will not. Again, this does not address the simulcast issues. We are working towards a solution for it but currently have not time table on when/how it will be available.

Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 11:32 AM
To: Uniden Presales
Subject: scanners

Wichita, Kansas/Sedgwick County is going to a P25 digital simulcast system. I know there are digital scanners now. What I hear is that if a system is simulcast, that can be a problem for many scanners. Do you have a scanner that takes care of this issue or will have one on the market soon?

Thanks,
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a legit email. I don't know about Uniden, but at other companies I have worked at, these emails are usually answered by level 1 support techs who know just enough about the stuff they support to handle common questions and provide basic answers. There's a very good chance that the person who answered the email above was ad-libbing based on a canned answer that Uniden has had in place for years. And why wouldn't he or she? I would have done the same thing!

Think about it, do you want to be the level 1 tech who promised that the new scanners would totally handle simulcast issues? HELL NO. All it takes is one guy living right next door to a couple of sites and the scanner doesn't work right FOR HIM and so he writes Paul a nasty letter about how he was PROMISED this scanner would TOTALLY WORK on his (insert simulcast system here) and blah blah blah. No thanks. I'm not getting fired over something like that.

For those still on the fence over the simulcast issues, I say "stay tuned". These scanners are going to start shipping in the next couple of weeks and people will start chiming in on how well (or not) the new scanners work. When mine arrives, I will also chime in with how well it works in my area. No amount of emails to anyone over at Uniden is going to answer this issue more definitively than actual reports from buyers around the country.

-AZ
Old 12-23-2013, 11:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

AZScanner,

I look foward to your report on the simulcast issue.

I truly hope it has been solved... or at least dramatically improved.

If the reports come back as I hope, I'l definately order a 436.

Regards.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Well that's it for me. If the thing has basically the same simple FM discriminator that can't handle simulcast then it's pointless to own one here. At least that just saved me $500.00.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:00 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratzert View Post
AZScanner,

I look foward to your report on the simulcast issue.

I truly hope it has been solved... or at least dramatically improved.

If the reports come back as I hope, I'l definately order a 436.

Regards.
same here. that is the only thing that will make me buy one of these new scanners over a whistler..

Tags
bcd436hp, bcd536hp