RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 7:13 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimg View Post
I'm a little confused because on the release video it looks to me like the backlight is blue. Can anyone advise?
It's been discussed... it is just showing up that way in the video... it is white!
Sponsored links

Old 12-25-2013, 7:13 AM

Quote:
I'm a little confused because on the release video it looks to me like the backlight is blue. Can anyone advise?
The back light looking blue is a result of the white balance of the camcorder used to shoot the video. It appears that the predominant lighting used while shooting the video was from an incandescent source which has a yellow cast. So when the camcorder corrects for that color by shifting blue, anything that is illuminated by a white color source, such as the LCD screen, will also shift blue. It's like if you're taking a picture with your iPhone in a room with incandescent lighting and the windows to the outside of the house look blue.
Old 12-25-2013, 7:50 AM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
It looks blue on video but the background is white.
Old 12-25-2013, 5:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise871 View Post
It looks blue on video but the background is white.
Thanks for all the posts that cleared up the confusion, because if it had been the "blue" shown on the first video, that would sure be a strike against me purchasing one when it becomes available!
Old 12-26-2013, 12:28 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Decided to bite on this one and ordered the 436 from Scanner Master. I sold my BC72XLT to help cover the costs so this is going to be a huge upgrade for me. Thought about getting a 396XT but decided the 436 would be better for future proofing because it is P25 Phase 2 capable. I am excited to finally be able to listen to the Ohio MARCS system in my area and the audio recording feature is nice.
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2013, 6:55 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise871 View Post
I plan on keeping my XT scanner. I always try to have the last two version in my inventory. I have sold all my 996T and BCT15's. You can't beat the XT scanners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your right, you can't beat the 996 or 396 xts,I'm keeping mine and not planning to buy the 2 new models for the price they cost ,some people may sell theirs to defray the cost of the newer one if they chose to buy them,some people may not need the new models for what they listen to but would but them for the upgrades features and the bells and whistles as they call them lol,I have no need at this time unless more services upgrade to the system the xts won't pick up
www.rescue9photography.com
Old 12-26-2013, 4:10 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Does the scanner have an AC adapter so you can plug it in and recharge batteries if you chose to use rechargable aa batteries
www.rescue9photography.com
Old 12-26-2013, 4:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerick100 View Post
Does the scanner have an AC adapter so you can plug it in and recharge batteries if you chose to use rechargable aa batteries
It charges through the USB port, but ONLY when the scanner is turned off. There is no included AC adapter, but any standard AC -> USB adapter should work just fine if you do not want leave it connected to the computer while charging.
Old 12-26-2013, 9:47 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default BCD436HP Discussion Thread

I have a set of 16 AA Immedion batteries and a cell charger. I just swap batteries and charge them externally. The built in charger just never word for me how I tend to use the radio.

For extended listening, I gave an 11,000 mAh polymer rechargeable brick I carry with me. Powers my BC125AT, iPhone and iPad for almost two days continuous use.

It will come in handy with the 436 when I get around to buying one.

Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2013, 9:59 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
I have a set of 16 AA Immedion batteries and a cell charger. I just swap batteries and charge them externally. The built in charger just never word for me how I tend to use the radio.

For extended listening, I gave an 11,000 mAh polymer rechargeable brick I carry with me. Powers my BC125AT, iPhone and iPad for almost two days continuous use.

It will come in handy with the 436 when I get around to buying one.

I was looking at getting some Imedion 2400mAh batteries and a Maha MH-C9000 Advanced Battery Charger for my 436HP. I have always preferred external chargers to built in.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk 4
Old 12-27-2013, 3:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

So, does anyone have ANY info. yet on whether the new **6HP scanners will KEEP the "decoded" control channel data output capabilities of the XT scanners, or will we be forced to create a homebrew discriminator tap for Pro96Com logging?? If so, Uniden should at least distribute guidance on the best way to insert a discriminator tap...

(note: this would NOT be a new feature, it is a pre-existing feature of the XT scanners...)
Old 12-27-2013, 5:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg1604 View Post
So, does anyone have ANY info. yet on whether the new **6HP scanners will KEEP the "decoded" control channel data output capabilities of the XT scanners, or will we be forced to create a homebrew discriminator tap for Pro96Com logging?? If so, Uniden should at least distribute guidance on the best way to insert a discriminator tap...

(note: this would NOT be a new feature, it is a pre-existing feature of the XT scanners...)
I'd like the answer for this one also as I rely upon Pro96com pretty heavily.
The bad thing is that Pro96com does NOT work with discriminator audio. It only works with the decoded data that a few scanners supply. Unitrunker works with raw discriminator audio though but it is not as user friendly as Pro96com.
I do wish the author of Pro96com would provide an input for true discriminator audio as I have several radios that are superior to any scanner for capturing the raw unfiltered audio. I'm forced to use Unitrunker with those radios though.
Correct me if I'm wrong about Pro96com but the last time I looked, it only accepted data that is already decoded and formatted for a serial port and not an audio line input which is what a true discriminator tap needs.
The data from the pro96com supported scanners is not discriminator audio.
I think the author did mention once that he may look into adding an audio input for those that would like to use raw discriminator audio but I've never seen anything more on the subject.
What would really be nice is if the new Uniden models could output both, raw discriminator audio as well as the formatted data output like they do now.

I'm sure a true discriminator tap could be added to the new Uniden models but I'm also fairly certain it would void any warranties.
That is if they have not eliminated access to the unfiltered audio with epoxy just as they do with the bandswitching circuits to be ECPA compliant. With the new ECPA proposals coming down the pipe, it would not surprise me if discriminator audio became off limits in addition too the band switching section.

Being as the new models are largely based on the Home Patrol, I don't have high hopes that they will offer formatted data output or raw unfiltered audio output as a stock feature. Most any radio can be fitted with a raw audio output but again, it would also be a warranty breaker.

We can only hope that Uniden has thought about this and will offer some type of useful data output other than simple scanner control. Speaking of scanner control, that is another area that I've not seen a full answer on yet. Will they offer a full program and control feature set so we can continue using our beloved favorite scanner control and programming and monitoring applications that many of us have been using for years? I'm talking the likes of Freescan, ProScan, Butel's software etc. I much prefer to control and monitor my radios with those applications instead of the included Sentinel software. They do a much better job. Sentinel may be ok for programming from the proprietary database but systems I create manually should be allowed to be done as they are today and that is from 3rd party developers software like the ones I mentioned earlier.
The Home Patrol is a prime example. You must use Sentinel to do the initial programming and then you can manipulate some parts of the favorites list with ArcPatrol from Butel but the virtual control feature of Arc Patrol is almost useless. It does not even come close to what can be done with virtual control for the current DMA scanners or the object oriented models from GRE. The PSR800 was a mistake as they kept the control protocol under wraps so no 3rd party developers could write control or programming software for that model. If Whistler does not continue support for the PSR800, there could be a lot of paperweights sitting around unless someone reverse engineers the control codes or someone releases them into the public domain so 3rd party developers can write basic programming and control software for that model.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:22 AM

Default BCD436HP

Unless it turns out that this is a total dog I will eventually buy one after things calm down a little.
I will probably not hear any more systems on it then I do now with my 396xt but I will buy one anyway.
I'm sure there will be somethings about it that I prefer. And to be able to spend five hundred bucks on something I don't really need is a trip!
Old 12-30-2013, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg1604 View Post

Yes, this would be another deal breaker for me too if they don't do it.

I'm not going to spend $500-$600 on a radio that doesn't have CC data output or at the very least, discriminator output for external logging/decoding.

I might as well just buy a BCD15x and fit the Disc tap instead or use an SDR

And, for those of you that say "well, you could always fit a discriminator tap to the 536HP" - It may not actually be possible.

If the new radios utilize an IQ demodulation system for FM, AM and Digital modes, there won't be a discriminator or anywhere that you will be able to tap into.

FuncubeDongle Pro+ - PSR600 - PSR500 - BCD996XT - BCD396XT - TM9155 - IC-208H, amongst others :-)

Last edited by Boatanchor; 12-30-2013 at 6:09 AM..
Old 12-30-2013, 3:05 PM

Does anyone know if the bcd436hp will decode Camden County, NJ's new 700mhz countywide dispatch system?
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2013, 4:51 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosguy View Post
Does anyone know if the bcd436hp will decode Camden County, NJ's new 700mhz countywide dispatch system?
Looking in the database the Camden County system appears to be a Phase 2 TDMA system which both the BCD436HP and BCD536HP should be able to monitor. Note: the scanners should be able to monitor all non-encrypted talkgroups marked with a "T" in the mode column.

Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR
Old 12-31-2013, 4:47 PM

Will Uniden be at CES next week? I'd love to check this out in person, but according to the show guide, "Uniden Cellular Boosters" is the only "Uniden" on the expo floor.

edit: whoops, just saw this- http://forums.radioreference.com/uni...es-2014-a.html So nevermind

Last edited by peepoop; 12-31-2013 at 4:52 PM..
Old 01-02-2014, 1:38 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Scanner Master is no longer taking pre-orders for the 436HP "due to the volume of orders" they are still taking pre-orders for the 536HP.

There is a seller on ebay (txradio) that says "We will be able to ship these around 1/15/14" it says this on both their ebay listing for the 436 and 536. Who knows they are probably just guessing like most of us on here.

In the product images for the 436 the rubber flap that covers the GPS and USB ports looks like it opens from the bottom. While in the video that UpMan posted shows the flap opening from the top. I'm guessing that it will work like the one that UpMan had since that is the actual physical product and not just some 3d rendering. That is why they say "actual product may differ from this picture" or something along those lines.
Old 01-02-2014, 5:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nategb View Post
Scanner Master is no longer taking pre-orders for the 436HP "due to the volume of orders" they are still taking pre-orders for the 536HP.
Woohoo! Glad I got in on that first shipment! Of course with the weather currently hammering the East Coast, I may not actually RECEIVE my new scanner until Spring sometime...LOL

-AZ
Old 01-02-2014, 9:44 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nategb View Post

There is a seller on ebay (txradio) that says "We will be able to ship these around 1/15/14" it says this on both their ebay listing for the 436 and 536. Who knows they are probably just guessing like most of us on here.

In the product images for the 436 the rubber flap that covers the GPS and USB ports looks like it opens from the bottom. While in the video that UpMan posted shows the flap opening from the top. I'm guessing that it will work like the one that UpMan had since that is the actual physical product and not just some 3d rendering. That is why they say "actual product may differ from this picture" or something along those lines.
I am trying to be patient.... lol... Going freakin crazy waiting......

Tags
bcd436hp, bcd536hp