RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 5:10 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Ok, may have been answered already, but I'm getting dizzy going through all the posts...

Does the BCD436HP have built in GPS? I travel a lot, and this would be great, so with built-in GPS I wouldn't need to lock in and out each area as I travel.

If not, what are my options, rather than plugging the unit into a GPS receiver? (Other comparable digital scanners) Reason I'm not interested in plugging in a separate GPS is, if I decide to take the scanner out of the vehicle in different areas, I wouldn't want it to revert to scanning all the banks each time.

Thank you
Sponsored links

Old 01-03-2014, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Ok, may have been answered already, but I'm getting dizzy going through all the posts...

Does the BCD436HP have built in GPS? I travel a lot, and this would be great, so with built-in GPS I wouldn't need to lock in and out each area as I travel.

If not, what are my options, rather than plugging the unit into a GPS receiver? (Other comparable digital scanners) Reason I'm not interested in plugging in a separate GPS is, if I decide to take the scanner out of the vehicle in different areas, I wouldn't want it to revert to scanning all the banks each time.

Thank you
It does not have a built in gps. I thought the same at first.. would have to purchase the bcgpsk i think is what it is called.. 89.95 to 100.00 depending where you purchase... could possibly plug into a regular gps... Im not sure how that is done though.. lol..
Old 01-03-2014, 8:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post

Thank you
If the BCD436HP works like the HomePatrol-1, when you disconnect it from the GPS, it leaves your location as the last GPS lat/long it received. So is doesn't revert to scanning the full data base. I've traveled with my HP-1 for several years, and almost always connect to the GPS when I'm in my vehicle. Even at that, it pretty easy to set your location at anytime to a specific City/State or Zip Code, or from a list of predefined locations; I am assuming the BCD436HP works similarly.
Old 01-03-2014, 9:49 PM

What is the official release date? Scannermaster is not taking orders, who is?
Old 01-03-2014, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9gunner View Post
This is what im wondering as well... I have preordered but no exact date.. Was told by Feb...
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2014, 9:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
This has been asked and answered numerous times...last half of January Uniden will begin shipping the 536. 436 follows in a week or two.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I haven't seen a revised "official" release date, but it sounds more like the first week or two of February for the 436, based on UPMan's comments in a previous post.
Universal Radio is still taking pre-release orders, as is The Ham Station. There may be others. At some point, these dealers are going to reach the point where their expected incoming new unit stock will match the number of pending orders, and they'll cut off as well.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

k9gunner. It looks like there is no "official" date but the last couple posts that read said the 536 around week 3 this month, then the 436 a week or 2 later.

I just preordered mine from txradio on ebay. Paid a few more $$ for shipping but they said they still have some pre-order spots left. Just search for BCD346 and you'll find it.

I can't wait... I'm upgrading from a BC246T so this will be a pretty good step up for me. Going to order a GPS too as I drive daily and will get plenty of use out of that feature.

Take care!
Yancy
Old 01-03-2014, 10:14 PM

Thanks, I must have missed the post in the previous 44 pages of this post.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:32 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default BCD436HP Discussion Thread

I started a FAQ section in the wiki. First entry is that of the release dates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2014, 5:49 PM

I just went thru The Ham Station to order mine. Great customer service there.

(Retired) Chief Rich has finally converted me to Uniden based upon his comments on how our local system works on Uniden. My Pro-106 has been terrible on MetroSafe's system while picking up Kentucky State Police fine. Hopefully this new 436 will be just as good or better.

Last edited by kycophpd; 01-04-2014 at 5:51 PM..
Old 01-05-2014, 8:27 PM

I am disappointed that the 436 does not have all the options that the 536 has.
I can think of many many many things I would have enjoyed doing with the 436 and all those 536 options!

I would have already preordered if.............
I am going to wait a while before I buy, if I buy.

I will stay tuned and read your posts.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:05 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulca View Post
I am disappointed that the 436 does not have all the options that the 536 has.
I can think of many many many things I would have enjoyed doing with the 436 and all those 536 options!
Which options are those? IIRC the only thing that's different is the 436 doesn't have wifi.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
Which options are those? IIRC the only thing that's different is the 436 doesn't have wifi.
I was thinking the same thing, Jay...but thought maybe I was forgetting something.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:20 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

The only option other than wifi that the 536 has is the $100 price premium over the 436. If the 436 was $599 I wouldn't have pre-ordered it (even with wi-fi)
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2014, 12:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Has anyone seen or know how the GPS will hook up to the 436? I'm trying to figure out if my Garmin Rino 530hcx Will work with it. I have learned it will output NMEA data and I can get it to work via USB on my laptop and track me on Google earth. So now I just need to see if I can get it to do the same on the scanner. I don't have a serial cable for it and will have to buy one if it won't work with USB.

Yancy

Old 01-06-2014, 1:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancmo View Post
Has anyone seen or know how the GPS will hook up to the 436? I'm trying to figure out if my Garmin Rino 530hcx Will work with it. I have learned it will output NMEA data and I can get it to work via USB on my laptop and track me on Google earth. So now I just need to see if I can get it to do the same on the scanner. I don't have a serial cable for it and will have to buy one if it won't work with USB.

Yancy

It uses this cable Uniden BWZG1844001 GPS Cable for Homepatrol, Bearcat BWZG1844001
Old 01-06-2014, 1:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

That cables not the same as the programming cable on a BC246 is it? It looks close but I'm sure it's not going to be that simple.

Yancy

Old 01-06-2014, 1:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I ordered my scanner today!!! Now I can't wait. My Pro 94 is boring without police/HP/sheriff.
Old 01-06-2014, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancmo View Post
That cables not the same as the programming cable on a BC246 is it? It looks close but I'm sure it's not going to be that simple.
It's the same as the standard programming cable with two differences:

1. The gender of the DB-9 is different. (to plug directly into the GPS NMEA DB-9 connector)

2. It has a null modem cable "built-in" (it's wired differently between TX and RX)

You can accomplish the same thing with a null modem / gender changer added onto the standard programming cable. The ones I use I purchased for a couple bucks from eBay and they are both in one and add about a 1/4" to the cable. Of course, that was before the Uniden GPS cable was available.

Joe M.

Tags
bcd436hp, bcd536hp