RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 1:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7eir View Post
Page 15 of the manual states "If the batteries are not installed, “No Battery” is displayed." While not directly saying so, it would appear that the unit will work fine without the batteries installed. The scanner does not charge the batteries when it is turned on, so that would lead me to think that it entirely bypasses the batteries while it is turned on, so their presence should have no effect on it's operation.
Since the new radios are patterned after the HP-1 to some degree I believe I remember a caution about running the HP-1 on AC without the batteries installed too. I believe it had something to do with if a sudden power failure occurred while the HP-1 was recording to the SD card it could result in a corrupted SD card. The batteries prevent this from happening (assuming the batteries are not dead). Indeed, I think you may not be able get the HP_1 to record to the SD card unless batteries are installed even if it is on AC.

I run my HP-1 99% of the time on AC but I do make for sure the batteries are installed and have an adequate charge. When the power does fail and I am away the HP-1 continues to record all of its own.

Anyone else remember this?
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2014, 1:45 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm 99% sure the radio will not record without batteries installed.
Old 01-11-2014, 4:21 PM

So who still has them available for purchase?

Last edited by k9gunner; 01-11-2014 at 5:37 PM..
Old 01-11-2014, 4:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0UDG View Post

Anyone else remember this?

Power cable "pig tail"

Old 01-11-2014, 5:06 PM

Thumbs down UNIVERSAL RADIO

[QUOTE=scancapecod;2103504]Wow. I'm typing this assuming you were on their waiting list. I don't want to turn this into a bashfest but I've never had good luck with that company. Rude and indifferent people, slow shipping. < in regard to universal radio.>

YUP, THATS THEM !. ORDER FROM SCANNERMASTER. A PLUS SERVICE.
Old 01-11-2014, 5:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Bearcat Warehouse is still taking pre-orders.
Old 01-11-2014, 5:46 PM

Thank you firemedic, I just ordered one from them.
Old 01-11-2014, 6:11 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Jeff @ Ham Station also got in touch with me to say he won't be running out, if anyone else is still in the lurch. Least I can do is send some of you his way for his personal contact with me after all this week's mayhem
Old 01-11-2014, 11:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There was a discussion long ago in this thread about chargers - the BCD436HP requires but does not ship with a USB charger. I found a great bargain today at Walmart. GE model 14096 10 outlet Surge Strip with 2 USB charging ports for $29.98. This item normally sells for about $45 at Amazon Amazon.com: GE 14096 10-Outlet Surge Protector with 2 USB Charging Ports: Computers & Accessories and Newegg. I can not find it on Walmart's web page, so it might be a "special buy" one time deal. The UPC bar code is 043180377524. I found it in the Electronics department on the rack with HDMI video cables and boom box stereos. It was on the bottom row of the rack along with other GE and Monster brand surge strips.

Obviously, I can't test it with the scanner because i don't have one, but I do have my Motorola Droid phone charging on it right now and it appears to be working OK. The charge output is good for up to 2.1 amps, which should be more than adequate for the scanner (the average wall wart USB charger output is 0.5 amps).

PSR-500, PRO-96, BC780XLT, PRO-2067, PRO-2006/OptoScan 456, FT-7900, VX5R, VX150
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2014, 11:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
Jeff @ Ham Station also got in touch with me to say he won't be running out, if anyone else is still in the lurch. Least I can do is send some of you his way for his personal contact with me after all this week's mayhem
Jeff at Ham Station is one of the best! I have bought a lot of stuff from him, both mail order and from their booth at Dayton Hamvention. I have also bought from Universal at their store and Hamvention (I never bought mail order because their store was an hour drive from my home until I moved to Alabama) . Both are good reputable dealers to by from, and they support what they sell.

PSR-500, PRO-96, BC780XLT, PRO-2067, PRO-2006/OptoScan 456, FT-7900, VX5R, VX150
Old 01-11-2014, 11:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8OAY View Post
There was a discussion long ago in this thread about chargers - the BCD436HP requires but does not ship with a USB charger. I found a great bargain today at Walmart. GE model 14096 10 outlet Surge Strip with 2 USB charging ports for $29.98. This item normally sells for about $45 at Amazon Amazon.com: GE 14096 10-Outlet Surge Protector with 2 USB Charging Ports: Computers & Accessories and Newegg. I can not find it on Walmart's web page, so it might be a "special buy" one time deal. The UPC bar code is 043180377524. I found it in the Electronics department on the rack with HDMI video cables and boom box stereos. It was on the bottom row of the rack along with other GE and Monster brand surge strips.

Obviously, I can't test it with the scanner because i don't have one, but I do have my Motorola Droid phone charging on it right now and it appears to be working OK. The charge output is good for up to 2.1 amps, which should be more than adequate for the scanner (the average wall wart USB charger output is 0.5 amps).
Just for clarity, for the others reading the thread, I do believe the 436 comes with the USB cable which can be used to charge the scanner. An external charger, which you are referring to, is not included, however.

Just wanted to clear that up before someone sees your statement about it being required but not included. That is somewhat misleading since it can be charged with the computer's USB connection, if so desired.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:57 PM

As most modern USB 2.0 ports will put out roughly 500-700 mA (not a whole helluvalot for sure but it's something), charging the 436 using such a port would take a considerable amount of time so at least you do have the option to get an external USB charger that offers significantly more current capability aka faster charging. I currently have some 1A, 1.5A, and even a 2A USB charger that would - of course - charge such a device at a faster rate. Can't say how much faster given nobody including me has a 436 just yet but, perhaps UPMan could offer some input or information there with respect to using such external chargers.

Depending on the batteries used (as some folks are content with low end AA rechargeables meaning 1500-1800 mAh rated while others go for the higher end with 2300 mAh or even higher if they exist), using such an external charger should offer substantially improved charging times. I'm guessing the 437 user manual probably doesn't even offer estimates of such charging times so I suppose we'll see what happens once these devices are in people's hands and they start reporting on such info.

USB 3.0 ports do offer more current capability natively but, I'm pretty sure the charging circuit on the 436 - like most USB-powered or devices capable of recharging using USB - will have a current cap on it so it only pulls up to a certain amount. I wonder if UPMan could inform us of such a limitation aka what the current charging capacity of the 436 is... UPMan, you around?

There may also be an issue there as some companies (Apple most notably) have hissy-fits about people using "non-official" charging devices and sometimes will even fail to honor a warranty if something goes wrong because of using a "non-official" charger...

Last edited by br0adband; 01-12-2014 at 12:00 AM..
Old 01-12-2014, 12:07 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03msc View Post
Just for clarity, for the others reading the thread, I do believe the 436 comes with the USB cable which can be used to charge the scanner. An external charger, which you are referring to, is not included, however.

Just wanted to clear that up before someone sees your statement about it being required but not included. That is somewhat misleading since it can be charged with the computer's USB connection, if so desired.
Yeh, I just realized my screwup and came back to edit the post, but now will not to avoid really confusing folks.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:14 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by br0adband View Post
As most modern USB 2.0 ports will put out roughly 500-700 mA (not a whole helluvalot for sure but it's something), charging the 436 using such a port would take a considerable amount of time so at least you do have the option to get an external USB charger that offers significantly more current capability aka faster charging. I currently have some 1A, 1.5A, and even a 2A USB charger that would - of course - charge such a device at a faster rate. Can't say how much faster given nobody including me has a 436 just yet but, perhaps UPMan could offer some input or information there with respect to using such external chargers.

Depending on the batteries used (as some folks are content with low end AA rechargeables meaning 1500-1800 mAh rated while others go for the higher end with 2300 mAh or even higher if they exist), using such an external charger should offer substantially improved charging times. I'm guessing the 437 user manual probably doesn't even offer estimates of such charging times so I suppose we'll see what happens once these devices are in people's hands and they start reporting on such info.

USB 3.0 ports do offer more current capability natively but, I'm pretty sure the charging circuit on the 436 - like most USB-powered or devices capable of recharging using USB - will have a current cap on it so it only pulls up to a certain amount. I wonder if UPMan could inform us of such a limitation aka what the current charging capacity of the 436 is... UPMan, you around?

There may also be an issue there as some companies (Apple most notably) have hissy-fits about people using "non-official" charging devices and sometimes will even fail to honor a warranty if something goes wrong because of using a "non-official" charger...
The USB 3.0 higher charge rate would not be possible with a USB 3.0 port and cable. The connectors are totally different - there is an extra row of pins on both the male and female plugs.

Old 01-12-2014, 6:20 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks Jay for the kind words and we will have plenty of 436 and 536 I expect no shipping issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
Sponsored links

Old 01-12-2014, 8:48 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hello,

Using a USB charger does not mean the 436 will charge faster. The 436 has to implement the USB Standard for Battery Charging so it can detect connection to a USB Charger and draw more current. Otherwise there is no difference between using a 500 mA computer USB port and a 2 A USB Charger.

73 Eric
Old 01-12-2014, 11:21 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Have to echo sentiments about Jeff at The Ham Station. I've known Jeff many years since the days when I used to write columns for the many now extinct scanner publications. Jeff was always there to assist with information, and in many cases to send me "loaner" radios to review without cost or obligation to purchase, (Even though I wound up buying many anyway) ! Who does that?

You will not go wrong making a purchase from, and supporting this long established business supporting Hams and radio enthusiasts for years.
Old 01-12-2014, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconti View Post
Have to echo sentiments about Jeff at The Ham Station. I've known Jeff many years since the days when I used to write columns for the many now extinct scanner publications. Jeff was always there to assist with information, and in many cases to send me "loaner" radios to review without cost or obligation to purchase, (Even though I wound up buying many anyway) ! Who does that?

You will not go wrong making a purchase from, and supporting this long established business supporting Hams and radio enthusiasts for years.
Where is his store located? I would love to see an advertisement.
Old 01-12-2014, 2:34 PM
Idaho DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray327 View Post
Where is his store located? I would love to see an advertisement.
The Hamstation!, Your one stop on-line source for amateur radio fun.
DPD 700-1000 MHz LP Antenna
TinLee Diplexer

Old 01-12-2014, 2:43 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My only concern with Ham Station is the $18 ground shipping - that is extremely inane!

Tags
bcd436hp, bcd536hp