RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 9:03 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There is still no easy way to program a bunch of channels and add them to quick buttons where I can switch between them via a simple press of a button. Say I want to have

Approach Control
Final Approach
Tower
Ground
Ramp
Company

And simply let me tap on each to tune to it immediately... no scanning etc. Is there a easy way to do this with the new scanner from what you can tell? I just read the manual and nothing jumped out at me
Sponsored links
Old 11-16-2013, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
There is still no easy way to program a bunch of channels and add them to quick buttons where I can switch between them via a simple press of a button. Say I want to have

Approach Control
Final Approach
Tower
Ground
Ramp
Company

And simply let me tap on each to tune to it immediately... no scanning etc. Is there a easy way to do this with the new scanner from what you can tell? I just read the manual and nothing jumped out at me
I can do that on the existing scanners using Channel Number Tags.
(and do use that quite often)

Joe M.
Old 11-16-2013, 9:48 PM

how will these new scanners handle encrypted talk groups on 3.6 baud rate and 9.6 baud rate systems? for example,on my psr-600 it skips over encrypted talk groups on the ohio marcs 800 trs. the psr-800 gives you i think 3-4 options when you come across encrypted talk groups.
Old 11-17-2013, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert-cheetah View Post
That's a good idea, actually. If I end up buying one I'll look into doing that...once I figure out how. Hahaha
I highly recommend that you start with two -- always have (at least) a 2nd card/hot spare ready.

The BCDx36HP manual warns of potential card corruption. I've already experience this many times with the PSR800 so the new Uniden's are apparently very similar when it comes to this issue.

FWIW - I just ordered and received 4 new cards (2 - 2Gb and 2- 4Gb) at about $6 each... a very good investment. I put two into service within minutes of getting them from the mailman!

Last edited by troymail; 11-17-2013 at 5:53 AM..
Old 11-17-2013, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7eir View Post
From the manual "LCD display: 192 x 160 Full dot Matrix LCD with white-color backlight "
From the video, the display appears to be BLUE with white backlighting. I kinda expected these units to have the color options that others have had in the past too. I recall in my "younger" days hearing people upset that the blue screen is hard to see/read. At that time, I didn't get it but s I've gotten older (seems like overnight!) I can hardly read that blue display now too (here's where I apologize to those who identified this problem years ago - sorry 'bout that!).

It's really cool to see all of the information on the display at one time (assuming you switch from the 3 line BIG letters mode) but I imagine that text is going to be really small.

I'm guessing moving away from colors/options for color is a cost savings thing so I can't complain about that too much (but just a little) as I've always said I want the $$$ put into making the radios receive and decode as good as they can (vs. interesting but unnecessary features) since listening to the radio is really the reason we buy these things.
Sponsored links

Old 11-17-2013, 6:17 AM

The reception for a Phase 1 or Phase 2 system will be the exact same on this scanner as it would be on the 536 correct?

I'll probably just get this one since it's cheaper and easy to take with in the car.
Old 11-17-2013, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
I highly recommend that you start with two -- always have (at least) a 2nd card/hot spare ready.

The BCDx36HP manual warns of potential card corruption. I've already experience this many times with the PSR800 so the new Uniden's are apparently very similar when it comes to this issue.

FWIW - I just ordered and received 4 new cards (2 - 2Gb and 2- 4Gb) at about $6 each... a very good investment. I put two into service within minutes of getting them from the mailman!
Thank you for the advice. That's a good idea.

^--^ PRO-106...436hp^--^
Old 11-17-2013, 7:01 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
No DMR, NXDN,LTR Pas Port, Multinet, proper CQPSK support. Now have to wait to see the new Whistler toys... Other than being as usual behind on things scannists need again... Awesome toy. I'd love to play with one just for kicks... But I really would love DMR, and NXDN for railroads... On with the show.
Me too. I'll wait and see what Whistler comes up with before buying a new scanner. My GRE scanners run rings around my Home Patrol and 996 as far as decoding the Cincinnati/Hamilton County P25 system. Every Uniden I've owned has been a disappointment on P25. While it has some nice features, companies need to start adding other digital decode methods to the scanners as not everyone is using P25. Time to really build a modern scanner.
Old 11-17-2013, 7:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
None of those were realistic expectations. LTR Passport / Multinet are not popular enough to warrant support. Better simulcast decoding would require some major redesign of the circuitry and would add many hundreds [or even more] dollars to the price of the scanner -- far above what the average scanner hobbyist would be willing to pay. It's not Uniden's fault. They can't add features that they don't have any hope of making a profit on.

Mike
Seriously? GRE's P25 decoding works just fine in comparison to Uniden and their scanners were usually $100 a unit less expensive. So it does not need a major re-design, it just needs engineers and programmers who know what they are doing when creating the design.
Sponsored links

Old 11-17-2013, 7:33 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I must say I was dissapointed after I watched the vid put out by Uniden. I have been scanning for 40 yrs and feel the HP1 is one of the best radios I've ever owned. They sould have taken the touch screen features and incorporated them to the new models. $500-600 everytime a new scanner comes out? Reall!? Sheesh...
Old 11-17-2013, 7:45 AM

Default BCD436HP Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
From the video, the display appears to be BLUE with white backlighting. I kinda expected these units to have the color options that others have had in the past too. I recall in my "younger" days hearing people upset that the blue screen is hard to see/read. At that time, I didn't get it but s I've gotten older (seems like overnight!) I can hardly read that blue display now too (here's where I apologize to those who identified this problem years ago - sorry 'bout that!).

It's really cool to see all of the information on the display at one time (assuming you switch from the 3 line BIG letters mode) but I imagine that text is going to be really small.

I'm guessing moving away from colors/options for color is a cost savings thing so I can't complain about that too much (but just a little) as I've always said I want the $$$ put into making the radios receive and decode as good as they can (vs. interesting but unnecessary features) since listening to the radio is really the reason we buy these things.
Not a fan of the blue LCD, I agree it has poor readability. Curious why they didn't choose their signature orange display once they decided to go with a single color with no options. I find the white LCD on my PSR-800 to be extremely readable even with the backlighting at its lowest setting at night. I think the orange is also a much better option and they should seriously reconsider ditching the blue.

I'll wait and see what Whistler announces, looking to upgrade my HP-1 and PSR-800. The Wifi feature and remote smartphone/tablet apps have some interesting potential around the house as well as being able to control and access a scanner dedicated to providing a scanner feed from anywhere you have web connectivity, so I hope these features are added to the '436HP. I suspect scanner feed features (Broadcastify integration?) are at play somewhere in Uniden's plans..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2013, 8:50 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

i hope im misunderstanding this here, but in that video, at 12:20, he mentions discovery mode, which finds channels not currently in the database, weather its a trunked system, or just scanning a selected frequency range. Is that the same as "ID SEARCH" on the 396xt? (or a custom search in conventional mode)? Im basically wondering if i have to pay $100 extra for those features, or is this "discovery mode" something else?

Also, THANK YOU for no touch screen!!!!!!

Last edited by SquierStrat; 11-17-2013 at 8:57 AM..
Old 11-17-2013, 8:50 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Maybe I missed something, but I think wi-fi is only available on the 536?
Old 11-17-2013, 9:00 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquierStrat View Post
i hope im misunderstanding this here, but in that video, at 12:20, he mentions discovery mode, which finds channels not currently in the database, weather its a trunked system, or just scanning a selected frequency range. Is that the same as "ID SEARCH" on the 396xt? (or a custom search in conventional mode)? Im basically wondering if i have to pay $100 extra for those features, or is this "discovery mode" something else?

Also, THANK YOU for no touch screen!!!!!!
He said that they have included the discovery mode in the new scanner that you had to pay 100 extra on the HP1.
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecop View Post
Maybe I missed something, but I think wi-fi is only available on the 536?
Yes.
Sponsored links

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopranosno1 View Post
how will these new scanners handle encrypted talk groups on 3.6 baud rate and 9.6 baud rate systems? for example,on my psr-600 it skips over encrypted talk groups on the ohio marcs 800 trs. the psr-800 gives you i think 3-4 options when you come across encrypted talk groups.
I was wondering this myself.. There should be several options but I did not see any in the owners manual. Perhaps a future firmware update will address this. Lots of good questions on here but no answers.
Old 11-17-2013, 9:01 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquierStrat View Post
No, it's not the same as ID search. Discovery Mode comes from the HomePatrol. I'll try to explain.

Discovery Mode has two versions - one for trunking and one for conventional. The conventional mode is kind of like a limit search (a custom search in 396XT terms), except that it will record anything it picks up, and "avoid" (lock out) frequencies that have reached the maximum record time. So you can let the scanner run on a chunk of bandwidth for hours on end, and then review the recordings after it's all done, and determine what a particular frequency is being used for.

The trunking Discovery Mode does a similar function on known trunk systems. So you could set up a trunking discovery session on your local trunk system, and it will record any talkgroup hits it comes across, until the recording time has elapsed. You come back to the recordings and listen to them and now you have an idea of what a previously unknown talkgroup is used for.

In both cases, you can tell the session to either ignore the frequencies/talkgroups already in the database (skip over known freqs/TGs) or include them (treat ALL hits as new, and record everything). You can also have the radio resume the discovery session after x number of seconds on a signal, so it doesn't get "hung up" on telemetry, pager, or trunk control channels (though I see other folks saying that the last one in the HomePatrol is kind of buggy, although I've never had problems with it myself).

Discovery mode is really useful for figuring out the talkgroups on, say, a commercial trunk system, where you have construction crews, delivery drivers, private security, etc etc etc all nattering on and on and on all the time. After a certain amount of traffic on a given talkgroup is recorded, that talkgroup is locked out for the duration of the session, and the radio will have more time to keep listening to the other TGs.

As for the $100 comment, what that was about was, people who purchased the HomePatrol could get an upgrade package that included a lot of enhanced features. It cost them $100 to buy this upgrade. These features are included without cost in the new radios.
Old 11-17-2013, 9:08 AM

The silence is deafening. Since no one has responded to the questions regarding the problems with LSM/CQPSK I presume the answer is "NO", this has not been addressed. No point is wasting more $$ for a radio that won't improve this.
Old 11-17-2013, 9:17 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
No, it's not the same as ID search. Discovery Mode comes from the HomePatrol. I'll try to explain.

Discovery Mode has two versions - one for trunking and one for conventional. The conventional mode is kind of like a limit search (a custom search in 396XT terms), except that it will record anything it picks up, and "avoid" (lock out) frequencies that have reached the maximum record time. So you can let the scanner run on a chunk of bandwidth for hours on end, and then review the recordings after it's all done, and determine what a particular frequency is being used for.

The trunking Discovery Mode does a similar function on known trunk systems. So you could set up a trunking discovery session on your local trunk system, and it will record any talkgroup hits it comes across, until the recording time has elapsed. You come back to the recordings and listen to them and now you have an idea of what a previously unknown talkgroup is used for.

In both cases, you can tell the session to either ignore the frequencies/talkgroups already in the database (skip over known freqs/TGs) or include them (treat ALL hits as new, and record everything). You can also have the radio resume the discovery session after x number of seconds on a signal, so it doesn't get "hung up" on telemetry, pager, or trunk control channels (though I see other folks saying that the last one in the HomePatrol is kind of buggy, although I've never had problems with it myself).

Discovery mode is really useful for figuring out the talkgroups on, say, a commercial trunk system, where you have construction crews, delivery drivers, private security, etc etc etc all nattering on and on and on all the time. After a certain amount of traffic on a given talkgroup is recorded, that talkgroup is locked out for the duration of the session, and the radio will have more time to keep listening to the other TGs.

As for the $100 comment, what that was about was, people who purchased the HomePatrol could get an upgrade package that included a lot of enhanced features. It cost them $100 to buy this upgrade. These features are included without cost in the new radios.
I wonder when the new scanners come out if Uniden will stop charging for the HP-1 extreme upgrade? Probably not, but it would be the fair thing to do for us current HP-1 owners who couldn't afford the extra 100 bucks.

From Uniden's Twiki...."But, we absolutely refused to leave our loyal HomePatrol-1 owners behind. For the first time, ever, we are offering an easy, fast, and inexpensive upgrade path...without having to buy new hardware." But, people who buy new hardware, i.e., the forthcoming 436HP and 536HP, will get these fantastic features at no additional cost. What about the "loyal" HP-1 owners who currently don't have the extreme upgrade, hmmmmm?

Okay, rant over. I now return you to your regularly scheduled BCD4346HP discussion.

Last edited by SouthSideScannerGuy; 11-17-2013 at 9:32 AM..
Old 11-17-2013, 9:19 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by don333 View Post
The silence is deafening. Since no one has responded to the questions regarding the problems with LSM/CQPSK I presume the answer is "NO", this has not been addressed. No point is wasting more $$ for a radio that won't improve this.
Making presumptions is a dangerous practice. You truly won't know what the answer is until someone comes out and says it. And just because nobody has answered yet doesn't mean that you're being ignored - it means that nobody who has seen your question has the answer (or that they can't answer, either because they have signed a non-disclosure agreement, or because that's not how their company permits them to act).

In both the video and the myriad of hints dropped in the preceding few weeks before the announcement, Paul made reference to specific trunking systems. I don't know enough about these systems to know if they're simulcast, but someone who does would be wise to look at "Uniden Upman"'s Facebook posts and the video again and listen to which towns/systems are mentioned, and compare that to what the composition of those systems are. That might give a clue as to whether or not simulcast/P2/whatever anyone's hobby-horse pet peeve is has been addressed.

Tags
bcd436hp, bcd536hp