BCD436HP Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
BCD436HP Up Close

7WEqpBI.jpg

The BCD436HP is the first scanner to incorporate the HomePatrol-1's ease of use in a traditional handheld scanner. Simply enter your zip code, and the BCD436HP will quickly select and scan channels in your local area. Here is a quick rundown of the BCD436HP's major features.
- 4 Gigabyte microSD card holds the entire USA and Canada database of radio systems, plus leaves room for hundreds of hours of audio recording.
- Programmable Alert LED lets you set a specific color to alert you when a channel becomes active.
- TrunkTracker V with support for APCO Project 25 Phase I and Phase II, X2-TDMA, Motorola, EDACS, and LTR Trunked Radio Systems
- Quick Key access to 100 Favorites Lists, 100 Systems per Favorites List, and 100 Departments per System.
- Discovery Modes help you find new channels on trunked systems and frequency ranges.
- Analysis Modes include Band Scope, RF Power Plot, Trunked System Analysis, and EDACS/LTR LCN Finder.
- Flexible Easy Channel Selection using Zip Code or GPS and Service Types — just pick the kinds of channels you want to hear and tell the BCD436HP where you are and let it do the rest.
- Easy Scan Control using the dedicated System, Department and Channel Hold buttons.
- Complete Front-Panel Programmability — create custom Favorites Lists either using systems from the main database as a starting point or program your systems from scratch.
- Temporary Avoid lets you quickly silence unwanted systems, departments, or channels while allowing you to restore them by cycling power.
- Backlight-on-Squelch option allows the backlight to remain on during an entire transmission.
- Date/Time indication on display with time stamping for recordings.
- Trunked and Conventional Channel Priority with Priority Do-Not-Disturb
- Close Call® RF Capture with Do-Not-Disturb automatically tunes the scanner to nearby transmissions without interrupting reception in progress.
- NOAA Weather Alert with SAME
- Two-Tone Paging with up to 32 tone slots
- Flexible Scanning — scan from any combination of the main database and Favorites Lists
- Included Sentinel Software makes database and firmware updates simple. Also allows you to create, edit, and manage your Favorites Lists.
- USB PC Connectivity - Serial GPS input for location-based scanning using the Uniden GC-GPSK or other compatible GPS receiver.
- 3 AA Battery Operation provides up to 8 hours of operation.
- SMA-type antenna.
- 192 x 160-Pixel Dot-Matrix Display
- Select/Volume/Squelch multi-control
- Side-actuated Function and Menu controls
- Backlit Display and Keypad
- Rotating Belt Clip
- Rugged construction with Rubber Side and Bottom Impact areas to improve impact resistance.
- Printed manual in the box with online updates.
Available January, 2014

Uniden New Scanners Info Site

Uniden BCD436HP Spec Sheet in Adobe Acrobat PDF format.

Uniden BCD436HP & BCD536HP Owners manual in Adobe Acrobat PDF format

Sentinel software program companion to the BCD436HP/BCD536HP.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
No DMR, NXDN,LTR Pas Port, Multinet, proper CQPSK support. Now have to wait to see the new Whistler toys... Other than being as usual behind on things scannists need again... Awesome toy. I'd love to play with one just for kicks... But I really would love DMR, and NXDN for railroads... On with the show.

Gilligan

Database Admin
My question is if the working memory for scanning is completely stored on the microSD card (like the GRE PSR-800) or if it's stored in the scanner's internal memory (like the BCD396XT). The reason why this is so important to me is because if you are out and about and somehow lose power to the radio while it's recording audio or data to the microSD card, and the card then becomes corrupted, you would not even be able to load the scanner up simply to scan systems let alone record anything from them. That was my biggest problem with the PSR-800 -- if you corrupt the card in the field, you can't use the scanner until you format the card and start all over. And all it takes is a power disruption like turning your car on or off while the scanner is plugged into it, or pulling out the DC power cable. I hope the working memory is stored internally, but it doesn't sound like it since no memory caps were mentioned in the video.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
They both look good on the surface. I'm not sure I need to pay the extra $100 on the 536HP. I will most likely go for the 436HP. I'm glad they decided to put a physical keypad. I like the tossing of the serial cable. This should have happened a long time ago. The larger screen is nice as well as the wifi. Well, looks like I will have to make more room in the ol shack!

Manny

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
No DMR, NXDN,LTR Pas Port, Multinet, proper CQPSK support. Now have to wait to see the new Whistler toys... Other than being as usual behind on things scannists need again... Awesome toy. I'd love to play with one just for kicks... But I really would love DMR, and NXDN for railroads... On with the show.

None of those were realistic expectations. LTR Passport / Multinet are not popular enough to warrant support. Better simulcast decoding would require some major redesign of the circuitry and would add many hundreds [or even more] dollars to the price of the scanner -- far above what the average scanner hobbyist would be willing to pay. It's not Uniden's fault. They can't add features that they don't have any hope of making a profit on.

Mike

jje64

While this seems like a reasonable scanner at a reasonable price, it is not, IMHO, what the super-user wants. This seems like the next logical progression in their line of scanners. They had to do PhII in order to keep selling product and to compete with the PSR-800 (or Whisler follow on). Without DMR and NXD it is not the jump forward for the super-user.

Both NXDN and DMR are open standards so I don't see why scanner manufacturers will not add them to their lines. Are they afraid of a law suit? I don't know why since they are open standards.

I guess I was not surprised. This is what I expected, so I am not disappointed. Will not rush to buy this since I want to see what Whistler does. If it ends up they both just do a PhII scanner and Uniden continues to have horrid audio (like my existing Uniden), the my money goes to the Whistler.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
I didn't think this scanner would offer any great shakes other than P25 Phase II TDMA and a bigger capacity and display.

I just wonder what the power draw is with that big LCD running on three AA's ?

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Time to close this thread down and move discussion to the individual
sticky threads for the individual models.

Wow what a Party Pooper!

Had to shut the thread down within a hour after broadcast. Disapointed

puzzleriddle

manual???

have they been posted yet?:). also accessories like handheld carrying case & scanner mount for your home post?:), also Ac adapter ans batts?? AA I hope :)

Last edited:

peepoop

Premium Member
Omission of wifi on this model really disappoints me. I use my handheld scanner tethered to a PC 90% of the time, so power drain is not a concern. I don't see it as a $100 feature either.

And still using an LCD? What? After the HP1 that feels like a real step back.

Pretty disappointed with both of these!

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Can't deny that it looks good. Looks more like a professional radio than a cheap-plastic scanner (I know it's plastic, as are most radios, but the gray looked like it and this looks better quality).

Ersin

I wonder if it takes SD cards greater than 4GB so that there would be more room for recordings? I guess "hundreds of hours" on the 4GB should be enough though.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
On the HomePatrol, IIRC, the 2gb card is way more than enough with plenty of space for recordings.

With a 4gb card, unless they have added a ton of data that's not part of the database (which is only a couple hundred MB at most), you should have days of recording space.

Status
Not open for further replies.