RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 3:29 AM

Sadly, from what I read, there is nothing that will be making me go for one of these. If they did Turbo, etc, I would jump on one pretty quickly, but without it, there isn't any feature I really have to have. Besides that, I'm still leery to spend big $$$ since the HP-1 train wreck.
Old 11-18-2013, 3:41 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I don't if any one has ask about this to UPMan but when I was Looking at the Online Owners Manual it mentioned:

Under Important Information

Caution - FCC RF Exposure Requirements
Transmitter operating conditions: The antenna(s) used for this transmitter must be
installed to provide a separation distance of at least 7.8 in. (20 cm) from all persons
and must not be collocated or operating in conjunction with any other antenna or
transmitter

I was wondering is this intended for the SMA Antenna you attach to the radio or some other antenna that works in conjunction with the Scanner..this is a first time I seen a label like this.. I looked on my 396 to see if it had a similar warding and it was different..

Thanks.. K-bear

Last edited by bear780ks; 11-18-2013 at 3:46 AM..
Old 11-18-2013, 6:12 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennank View Post
Good catch on that. I am sure there is a way around that. Maybe the record out, I have used that with powered speakers. It looks like the BCD536HP has a record out, but no external speaker out.

I am also curious about how this will pan out, as I currently have a external speaker I use in my truck and I would really prefer to not replace that. If the external speaker uses the USB connection how can you use the GPS at the same time?
Page 9 of the manual:

Quote:
Connecting an Extension Speaker
In a noisy area, an optional amplified extension speaker, positioned in the right place, might
provide more comfortable listening. Plug the speaker cables 1/8-inch (3.5-mm) mini-plug into your
scanners back-panel Ext. Sp. Jack.
If the plug on the back is a record out, then the only other one would be the plug on the front panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear780ks View Post
I don't if any one has ask about this to UPMan but when I was Looking at the Online Owners Manual it mentioned:

Under Important Information

Caution - FCC RF Exposure Requirements
Transmitter operating conditions: The antenna(s) used for this transmitter must be
installed to provide a separation distance of at least 7.8 in. (20 cm) from all persons
and must not be collocated or operating in conjunction with any other antenna or
transmitter

I was wondering is this intended for the SMA Antenna you attach to the radio or some other antenna that works in conjunction with the Scanner..this is a first time I seen a label like this.. I looked on my 396 to see if it had a similar warding and it was different..

Thanks.. K-bear
I would think this is for the WiFi adapter.
Old 11-18-2013, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolfbell222 View Post
You can change the steps in the HP-1 & the 396XT, so should be the same here unlike the BC125AT which is fixed at 25 kHz steps which is a mistake and probably not get fixed because most people don't care about milair
A mistake? Perhaps not. The 125 is not a digital scanner and cannot decode the digital audio on the 380 MHz trunking systems, so it can only receive the MilAir, hence 25 kHz steps are the only logical result.

Joe M.
Old 11-18-2013, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsphotog View Post
Because a lot of us that have permanent installs in our vehicles aren't too keen on keeping a tablet in the vehicle making it more attractive to thieves. And I'm not going to take it out and then put it back in like it's a detachable faceplate radio from the 90's. And I don't like hard-wiring battery-powered devices to the vehicle. Also, and this is important, tablets are WAY TOO BIG to be using as a remote head in a vehicle.
They make tablets in sizes ranging from a few inches up. If a few inches is too big, you would never be able to read the display anyway.

Also, they make tablet locks for vehicles.

Joe M.
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2013, 6:20 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
They make tablets in sizes ranging from a few inches up. If a few inches is too big, you would never be able to read the display anyway.

Also, they make tablet locks for vehicles.

Joe M.
This still misses the point that using a phone or tablet while driving is illegal in most states. Who really wants to risk getting a ticket just to control their scanner?
Old 11-18-2013, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhoto View Post
This still misses the point that using a phone or tablet while driving is illegal in most states. Who really wants to risk getting a ticket just to control their scanner?
If using an OEM touchscreen display is legal, so should the tablet in a RH configuration. Many cars are coming with touchscreens now in place of the radio, climate control, Etc. Most officers can differentiate between a tablet vs a touchscreen device that is being used as a control panel. But, there is a point to be made - the law is ambiguous and should be updated or repealed, as it's already obsolete since it makes some factory-equipped cars illegal to operate. I bet there is a tablet or laptop in the officer's car, too.

You have to wonder if the HP-1 is illegal, as it too is touchscreen-based. I'm sure there are officers that would view it in the same light, and illegal.

Bottom line is that if your state made touchscreens illegal, you may be SOL but blame the state not the advancement in the state of the art. And don't buy a car with a built-in touchscreen. Scanners are illegal in any form in some states, too. So, how do you get around that law? (same concept)

Joe M.
Old 11-18-2013, 7:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
If using an OEM touchscreen display is legal, so should the tablet in a RH configuration. Many cars are coming with touchscreens now in place of the radio, climate control, Etc. Most officers can differentiate between a tablet vs a touchscreen device that is being used as a control panel. But, there is a point to be made - the law is ambiguous and should be updated or repealed, as it's already obsolete since it makes some factory-equipped cars illegal to operate. I bet there is a tablet or laptop in the officer's car, too.

You have to wonder if the HP-1 is illegal, as it too is touchscreen-based. I'm sure there are officers that would view it in the same light, and illegal.

Bottom line is that if your state made touchscreens illegal, you may be SOL but blame the state not the advancement in the state of the art. And don't buy a car with a built-in touchscreen. Scanners are illegal in any form in some states, too. So, how do you get around that law? (same concept)

Joe M.
To answer the second question first, many states that ban scanners have exceptions for ham radio operators, so those people would be safe no matter the configuration from the scanner stand point.

The first question is a little more difficult to answer as you pointed out. If we look at the original RH-96, it didn't have a touchscreen so it wouldn't fall under any laws pertaining to touchscreen operation in a vehicle. Any replacement should follow the same design to maintain the common legality. I think police officers would see it as a phone or tablet and not care that it's only controlling a scanner. They will see it soley as a phone or tablet and give you a ticket, that's my problem with it.

I am in complete agreement that the laws pertaining to operating phones and touchscreens should be looked at so they can be updated if need be to make sure they reflect current technologies built in to modern vehicles.

I personally like the idea of the WiFi control and think it's a unique implementation, but at the same time would have liked to see something they had in the past brought back and updated.
Old 11-18-2013, 7:40 AM

Quote:
The first question is a little more difficult to answer as you pointed out. If we look at the original RH-96, it didn't have a touchscreen so it wouldn't fall under any laws pertaining to touchscreen operation in a vehicle.
Hence the fallacy in the law. Physical buttons are legal - virtual buttons are illegal. Yet, there are many advantages to virtual buttons that can change to suit the situation, don't wear out, don't get dirt in the contacts, and are the state of the art technology. Granted, there are a few disadvantages, too, with respect to tactile feel, but those CAN be overcome if necessary.

What we need is an "app" for the OEM touchscreen which has already been approved by the DOT as legal. Possible? Sure!

It's almost as bad as the now-outdated cell frequency ban, as scanners can no longer receive (decode) cellular, so the ban is moot, but the law will likely never be repealed - likely even when the band is reassigned to non-cellular users.

Joe M.
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2013, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Page 9 of the manual:
Quote:
Connecting an Extension Speaker
In a noisy area, an optional amplified extension speaker, positioned in the right place, might
provide more comfortable listening. Plug the speaker cables 1/8-inch (3.5-mm) mini-plug into your
scanners back-panel Ext. Sp. Jack.
If the plug on the back is a record out, then the only other one would be the plug on the front panel.
You are correct. I read too quickly. The 3.5mm jack on the rear is for an external speaker. The recording is now all done via SD card.
Old 11-18-2013, 8:07 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

How many channels can you program into it?

Uniden BC355 in the truck, a BC350A hosting a feed a BC125AT playing several rolls, and now a BCD536HP.
Old 11-18-2013, 8:15 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispatcher812 View Post
Whatever fits into a Favorites List. 1MB Max, which is lots of channels, UIDs, System Sites, etc. There are 100 FLs so at 1 MB a piece, lots of stuff.
Old 11-18-2013, 8:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispatcher812 View Post
Quick Key access to 100 Favorites Lists, 100 Systems per Favorites List, and 100 Departments per System.

And you can put up to a 32GB card in it. Just on quick keys alone you could theoretically have 1 million departments (100*100*100). Even if you only had 1 channel per system, that's 1 million channels, unless my logic is off somewhere...
Old 11-18-2013, 8:40 AM

Uniden Bearcat BCD536HP Scanner

536 for sale
Universal Radio
list price $599.99
"Your Price...?"

forgive if already posted.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...ners/0436.html
436 $499.99

listed but apparently not taking orders yet.

Last edited by screenersam; 11-18-2013 at 8:42 AM..
Old 11-18-2013, 8:43 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Do I understand correctly that the 536HP price of $599 is before the "extreme" option that costs an additional $100?

Manny
Old 11-18-2013, 8:45 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1SQB View Post
Do I understand correctly that the 536HP price of $599 is before the "extreme" option that costs an additional $100?

Manny
I hope not, that may be a deal breaker for me. What does the extreme update do?

Uniden BC355 in the truck, a BC350A hosting a feed a BC125AT playing several rolls, and now a BCD536HP.
Old 11-18-2013, 8:46 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Re: BCD536HP Discussion Thread

Quote:

Manny
No. The features which did cost $100 in the HP1 are included in these radios.
Old 11-18-2013, 8:50 AM
Banned for duplicate accounts

Quote:

Manny
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Extreme feature is an addt'l $100 on top of the $499 436HP price.
Old 11-18-2013, 8:54 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
No. The features which did cost $100 in the HP1 are included in these radios.
So the $599 price is everything included, thus the $100 price difference between the base and the portable! Thanks for clearing that up!

Manny
Old 11-18-2013, 9:25 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Both the 436 and 536 include the "Extreme" features in the purchase price. The $100 delta between models is primarily due to the Wi-Fi functionality (although the hardware itself, without the Wi-Fi, is a bit more expensive on the mobile than the handheld, and also accounts for some of the delta).

Tags
bcd436hp, bcd536hp