RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 2:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question about the BCDx36HP Sentinel: The mapping of the talk groups. On my 996xt we have 99 systems we can program with a quick key and under each one of them there are 10 subgroups. Example, I could have Baltimore City quick keyed as #1 then have City Fire under sub 1 and City Police under sub 5. Can anyone walk me through the quick key tagging? I have tried playing with the program but to me there seams to be a conflict or maybe I am missing something.
Sponsored links
Old 11-20-2013, 2:26 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The QK structure is FF.SS.DD, where:

FF=00-99 for FQK (Favorites List)
SS=00-99 for SQK (System)
DD=00-99 for DQK (Departments...sites are assigned a DQK)
Old 11-20-2013, 2:36 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

So... I'm going to embarrass myself because of some of the heavy scanner tech terms in here that I do not understand. But... I'm suffering from a severe case of multicast/simulcast distortion. I live 3 miles from a tower in one direction and almost 3 miles to another tower in the almost exact opposite direction. I'm at wits end because I have tried EVERYTHING to fix.

Lay it on me straight UPMan, I am ready and anxious to purchase multiple BCD536HP's... Will it help me or no?! FYI, I use 996xt's and Pro-197's now.

Thanks! :-)

www.frederickscanner.com
Old 11-20-2013, 3:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveJam View Post

Lay it on me straight UPMan, I am ready and anxious to purchase multiple BCD536HP's... Will it help me or no?! FYI, I use 996xt's and Pro-197's now.

Thanks! :-)
Answered here:

http://forums.radioreference.com/uni...ml#post2072879

Old 11-20-2013, 3:49 PM

Upman/ Paul

Ok, I finally have a question in regards to the Wifi on the 536. Once I purchase the 536 (Which I can not wait) and set up the Wifi for me to listen to my on Samsung Note 2 via the app can someone else with my permission use the app and log into my scanner at the same time?

For example where I live, Our dispatch Center only uses simplex at 40 Watts. Its a very small town and the 40 watts work fine with the antenna at 35 Feet for local communications. Many of us firefighters work 30 miles away or better. If my dept has a house fire and 5 or 6 of us want to listen to the call on my scanner can we all use the app at the same time or not?

Motoman55
Sponsored links
Old 11-20-2013, 4:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

ok I see bunches of good ideas. b rings to mind class 1 Bluetooth and headsets . any ideas? I mean rain snow phone in truck with headset on. just for the working man of course
Old 11-20-2013, 4:59 PM

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.4; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1309251116) Presto/2.11.355 Version/12.10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcockfred
ok I see bunches of good ideas. b rings to mind class 1 Bluetooth and headsets . any ideas? I mean rain snow phone in truck with headset on. just for the working man of course
If you are in range for BT, then you are in range to ad-hoc a smart device, and run the headset from the smart device.

This type of setup could be a good use for my old crackberry. (If the ad-hoc is accessible for something without an app, maybe with a small Apache server code.)
Old 11-20-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.4; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1309251116) Presto/2.11.355 Version/12.10)

If you are in range for BT, then you are in range to ad-hoc a smart device, and run the headset from the smart device.

This type of setup could be a good use for my old crackberry. (If the ad-hoc is accessible for something without an app, maybe with a small Apache server code.)
Typical BT range: up to 30 feet (depending on obstacles)

Typical WiFi range: 200 feet (more or less - depending on obstacles)

If you can use either for a smart device, WiFi is the more logical choice.

Joe M.
Old 11-21-2013, 8:24 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Some one will correct me but I read upto 5 clients? So I think upto 5 of you can listen thru the APP.

QUOTE=Motoman55;2074903]Upman/ Paul

Ok, I finally have a question in regards to the Wifi on the 536. Once I purchase the 536 (Which I can not wait) and set up the Wifi for me to listen to my on Samsung Note 2 via the app can someone else with my permission use the app and log into my scanner at the same time?

For example where I live, Our dispatch Center only uses simplex at 40 Watts. Its a very small town and the 40 watts work fine with the antenna at 35 Feet for local communications. Many of us firefighters work 30 miles away or better. If my dept has a house fire and 5 or 6 of us want to listen to the call on my scanner can we all use the app at the same time or not?

Motoman55[/QUOTE]
Sponsored links

Old 11-21-2013, 11:17 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy View Post

Besides that, I'm still leery to spend big $$$ since the HP-1 train wreck.
Train wreck? LOL!

I guess you missed this...

http://forums.radioreference.com/uni...ml#post2057385

Old 11-21-2013, 11:35 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Interestingly, as much as I complain about my HP-1, I absolutely love it. It just works. I am willing to bet that most folks that buy it are not as technically inclined as some of us are and rather just set it and forget it.

Try this... put an HP-1 and an 996XT next to each other on a table.

First, using NO external software, completely program the NYC DoITT system. See which one is faster to do... BTW, you still need a computer or a book to look up all the frequency and tag information for the 996XT

Now do the same with the default available software from uniden. HP-1 will likely still win in time to first lock on frequency.

I live with a 996XT everyday for over a year and I still can't figure it out... without FreeScan it would sit in a box or be sold. The HP-1 I only have used the Sentinel software to customize some favorites lists and that's it. Even if you just open the box and don't even update the database, it is likely to pick up a lot of traffic immediately after entering a ZIP code ...
Old 11-21-2013, 11:40 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Like a lot of people, I can't wait for this to come out. I was a little disappointed at first to find out that it indeed was a Home Patrol type model.From what I had read I was never a fan of the HP, even though I had never used one. But after looking at the videos UPman did (thanks by the way for everything), I like what I see. Just watching it get turned on and up and running like that makes it worth it.

Uniden BC355 in the truck, a BC350A hosting a feed a BC125AT playing several rolls, and now a BCD536HP.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
Interestingly, as much as I complain about my HP-1, I absolutely love it. It just works. I am willing to bet that most folks that buy it are not as technically inclined as some of us are and rather just set it and forget it.

First, using NO external software, completely program the NYC DoITT system. See which one is faster to do... BTW, you still need a computer or a book to look up all the frequency and tag information for the 996XT

Now do the same with the default available software from uniden. HP-1 will likely still win in time to first lock on frequency.

I live with a 996XT everyday for over a year and I still can't figure it out... without FreeScan it would sit in a box or be sold. The HP-1 I only have used the Sentinel software to customize some favorites lists and that's it. Even if you just open the box and don't even update the database, it is likely to pick up a lot of traffic immediately after entering a ZIP code ...
IF it is user friendly and picks up signals just as good if not better than the conventional scanners I would say go for it. Besides this type of scanner would be excellent in a car driving from different areas.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispatcher812 View Post
Like a lot of people, I can't wait for this to come out. I was a little disappointed at first to find out that it indeed was a Home Patrol type model.From what I had read I was never a fan of the HP, even though I had never used one. But after looking at the videos UPman did (thanks by the way for everything), I like what I see. Just watching it get turned on and up and running like that makes it worth it.
The "HomePatrol" part of it really comes down to having the built-in database and the zip (or location) ease of scanning. I guess you could also extend that to the HOLD functions for Systems and Departments. Maybe you could even stretch that to the longer text tags which carried over to the new models and the recording function.

As for the "Train wreck", yea - it was a train wreck that was one of the most successful products Uniden has had according to posts on other forums (or maybe it was this one).

Joe M.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:10 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Oh man love the new radios. I just saw them posted and I want to get a couple but have issues with the LSM issue and the Simulcast issue too. Hopefully it will be figured out. I guess I will just keep waiting until people get their new radios and see what the issues might be.
Sponsored links
Old 11-21-2013, 12:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Can the GPS that i use the bct15, be used wkith the BCD536HP?
Old 11-21-2013, 12:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post

I'll take that 996XT off of your hands if you don't like it
Old 11-21-2013, 12:49 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Can the GPS that i use the bct15, be used wkith the BCD536HP?
If it works with the BCT15 then yes, it should work with the BCD536HP.
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR
Old 11-21-2013, 1:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
The QK structure is FF.SS.DD, where:

FF=00-99 for FQK (Favorites List)
SS=00-99 for SQK (System)
DD=00-99 for DQK (Departments...sites are assigned a DQK)
"sites are assigned a DQK" - So if you have multiple Departments in a System then you would need to have a "Site A" with the associated DQK for each of the Departments? Meaning multiple "Site A"s in the System?
Old 11-21-2013, 1:26 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

No. It means that Departments and Sites share the same "universe" of QK. See my YouTube video with the Sentinel demo, but essentially for my uses right now I'm assigning Departments to a QK from 00-70 and sites with a QK from 71-99. But, those ranges are totally arbitrary.

Tags
bcd436hp, bcd536hp