RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 2:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
Look no further than the mobile app marketplace. A lot of apps have a free version and then In-App purchase for extra features... it is one of the hottest markets.
Not to mention Uniden has already done something similar with the Extreme Upgrade for the HP-1. The foundation is there, I think it's just a matter of creating a feasible business model that works for both them and us to transition from something like the EU which is really just tools that not everyone will use all the time, but has value for those that do, to going to a completely (or almost completely) base scanner and adding specific trunking and voice selections. We may be another 3-5 years from seeing something like that happen.
Sponsored links
Old 11-22-2013, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkaroo View Post
It would be neat to have a "basic" scanner, then if we could purchase options like P25, DMR, etc. assuming everything is done in software, Uniden doesn't have to engineer, produce and ship separate units (eg 15 & 996) and stores don't have to stock two units especially if one isn't a hot seller. Plus the buyer won't have to pay for features and licensing they don't need. And if they ever do need, the scanner is WiFi connected anyway so log into your account on Uniden.com and the licensing update will be pushed to the scanner.
It would be nice, but they would have to have all the hardware required for the P25 decoding, so the price would likely be close to the high tier model. I'm sure those with no such need wouldn't want to pay for unnecessary hardware.

Joe M.
Old 11-22-2013, 3:55 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
It would be nice, but they would have to have all the hardware required for the P25 decoding, so the price would likely be close to the high tier model. I'm sure those with no such need wouldn't want to pay for unnecessary hardware.

Joe M.
Intel successfully sold Celeron chips which were regular chips with a missing pin to disable the higher end features. I am not sure if the newest scanner hardware has a lot of hardware dedicated to a task as opposed to either a DSP or an ASIC that handles most of the hard stuff and software to harness the power. Look at the small consumer video camera industry... Ambarella pretty much dominates the sensor part with nearly any format and frame rate anyone would want. However, different camera manufacturers implement the features differently, even if they use the same capable chip.

Marketing wise and business wise, you could think of a model where there is a bit of a loss on the hardware up front knowing you can get customers to buy your hardware. If that hardware can then in the future be extended or expanded via incremental software costs 9or as in the BC296D, a separate card) it may make sense.
Old 11-22-2013, 4:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkaroo View Post
It would be neat to have a "basic" scanner, then if we could purchase options like P25, DMR, etc. assuming everything is done in software, Uniden doesn't have to engineer, produce and ship separate units (eg 15 & 996) and stores don't have to stock two units especially if one isn't a hot seller. Plus the buyer won't have to pay for features and licensing they don't need. And if they ever do need, the scanner is WiFi connected anyway so log into your account on Uniden.com and the licensing update will be pushed to the scanner.
The problem is that your "basic" scanner is not going to have the hardware needed to enable a lot of these features or digital modes.
If they did include the hardware so a key or something could enable the features when you decide you need them, you would be paying for the hardware even if you never need it. You need the hardware before it can be enabled in software.

It's easy for Motorola to do it as those radios are made for one purpose and usually the hardware is already installed. New flashcodes just enable features that the hardware already supports.
I doubt many scanner enthusiasts would want to pay for hardware they may never use.
Now if a custom designed DSP chip could be made for just pennies then the idea may work but something tells me the hardware cost alone would add a significant cost to the base radio.
Something based more on SDR may be a better option but decent quality SDR based receivers are still very costly.

The old Electra Bearcat III crystal scanners had hardware based upgrades you could add. They came with either one or two RF boards depending on how you ordered them. You specified the band(s) you needed and the radio shipped with the correct RF board(s) installed. If you only needed one band, say VHF Low, that was the only board installed. Later down the road, you decide you also need VHF High or UHF, you could purchase the RF board and install it yourself with just three screws. One screw to open the case and two to mount the board.
The only problem with that model was that it did not have the hardware to support more than two scanner bands at a time so only two boards (bands) could be installed. They shared one of the crystal socket pins with both boards so no easy way to add a third or fourth board if you needed the UHF T band also.

I guess the "basic" model idea may work as long as the base model does include at least P25 Phase 1. That would mean the base model would at least have a DSP chip in it. If adding support for the other digital modes could be built into that chip for pennies and activated by a key or special FW flash, then it would work as the RF components would already be in place.
And who knows, many here speculate that the x36HP models very well could have a DSP in them that can be "unlocked" for other modes in the future. There is no way of knowing unfortunately unless you are high up within Uniden.

If Uniden could have done this, I'd think they would have done it with the HP1 at least. Then they could have sold an "Extreme Upgrade 2" to enable P25 Phase 2 support. Maybe they learned from that and did include the capabilities for other modes in the future in the new BCDx36HP models. It would be cool if they did. My gut feeling is they did not though as I think it would have added significant cost above the $500 and $600 dollar MSRP now.
The new x36HP models already have a lot of new features yet they managed to keep the cost within line with the older models.
We can always wish or dream though!

It's a neat idea but I just don't think it would really save the end user any money. I'd bet just because the DSP 'could' decode other digital modes, Uniden would need to pay a licensing fee for each radio produced even if those modes are not enabled. The IP holders of those modes would likely want royalties paid now and not when someone decides later that they want to enable a new mode.
If Uniden could incorporate other modes in the DSP without paying licensing fees now, that could save a lot as the licensing fee would be paid for by the end user when they purchase the deactivated mode(s).
I think the IP holders would be worried about someone hacking and gaining access to the hidden modes though so they would demand payment as each chip is made.

Someone clever could probably design a 3rd party Linux based appliance that runs nothing but DSD and can control the new x36HP models so you could use it in a tracking mode. That would be cool.
We also don't know how much control will be allowed for these new models. If it is like the HP1, then I doubt we will see programs like ProScan, ARC HP Pro or Freescan HP for the new models.
Being as these new models are database driven like the HP1 does have me wondering if we are going to lose the control abilities like we have now with the x96T or XT models. They could limit it to the Sentinel software and whatever the app is called that will work with the Wi-Fi dongle.

Hopefully the new models will still have a command set equivalent to the XT series or better for controlling the radio and manipulating memory.
The examples I've seen of the Wi-Fi control feature seem to resemble Butel's ARC Patrol more than anything and looked more like the screen of the HP1. I'd much rather see the same type of control that we have with the XT series and the various 3rd party programs available for those models. I really hope they have not "dumbed" down the options for 3rd party control and memory management.
Old 11-22-2013, 8:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

So, is there a discriminator output for either the 436/536?
Larry
Old 11-22-2013, 9:50 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8IAA View Post
So, is there a discriminator output for either the 436/536?
Larry
None has been noted nor announced officially.
Old 11-23-2013, 7:44 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here is the back panel:
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2013, 8:17 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default CTCSS vs P25 NAC revisited

Anyone in the know (UPMAN, Beta testers) care to put this previously asked question (post #104) to rest?

BCD536HP Discussion Thread

Thanks
Dennis
Old 11-23-2013, 9:58 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

CTCSS/DCS is analog only and P25 NAC is digital only therefore you can only enter one for each frequency. If your frequency had dual mode use (both digital and analog) then you can list the frequency twice, one with a NAC or NAC search and one with CTCSS/DCS or CTCSS/DCS search.

This should allow the radio to search for both of these for that frequency or have I missed your question?
Sponsored links
Old 11-23-2013, 11:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Missed but thanks for at least trying.

I am NOT talking about assigning an analog or digital tone to a frequency but instead having the ability for the radio, while in tone search mode, to determine whether a frequency is using a CTCSS or P25 NAC tone. At present, with the 996XT one must either select CTCSS or P25 NAC for a tone search choice.

My hope is that the new BCD536HP would have the ability to display all tones (CTCSS and P25 NAC) when Tone/Code searching.

Dennis
Old 11-23-2013, 12:13 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I don't know if anybody noticed it or not but the BNC adapter on the 536 has been updated to a Nicer Gold style) On my 996 when you look in on it, It's not Gold and it has just two pins that come's in contact with the pin of what adapter it comes in contact with So being this Way it should help a little in the scanners ability receive dept. might even clear up any sporadic noises that was once picked up in previous models..

The inside pins look like what's in the 396 and possibly like the 436.. this is a nice fully added part of the scanner..

Last edited by bear780ks; 11-23-2013 at 12:28 PM..
Old 11-23-2013, 1:43 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by campd715 View Post
Missed but thanks for at least trying.

I am NOT talking about assigning an analog or digital tone to a frequency but instead having the ability for the radio, while in tone search mode, to determine whether a frequency is using a CTCSS or P25 NAC tone. At present, with the 996XT one must either select CTCSS or P25 NAC for a tone search choice.

My hope is that the new BCD536HP would have the ability to display all tones (CTCSS and P25 NAC) when Tone/Code searching.

Dennis
Looking at the channel options in the new version of Sentinel (for a manually added channel), I'd say the answer is no. You'd still need to enter the frequency twice as N0UDG already indicated. That is also the case with the current HP-1.

You have three possible settings for a conventional channel:
"All", which means both analog or digital transmissions would be accepted for reception, but there is no provision for "search".
"Analog only", which restricts reception to analog, and also opens the option of either assigning a specific tone or DCS code, or setting it to search for active tones/codes.
"Digital only", which limits reception to that mode, and opens the field to allow setting a NAC code, or enabling a NAC search.
Old 11-23-2013, 7:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Think this is better asked in this thread since the actual question is about the radio not SW. My Sentinel Favorites tree looks like this: Favorites Lists:ACountyName:Acounty:County: Sheriff Disp N so where does the AlphaTag displayed on the scanner begin in the tree?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2013, 9:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'll simplify: if I am understanding tagging hierarchy correctly the Channel example above would be displayed as:
ACounty
County
Sheriff Disp N
Is this correct?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2013, 10:20 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Talking

Been waiting for this a while to upgrade my old 996.

Still disappointed no TRBO or NXDN as that seems to be the wave for IG systems around here.

So who has these for pre-order ?
Old 11-24-2013, 10:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default 536 GPS

Will Uniden offer a GPS, as an accessory for the 536?
Old 11-24-2013, 10:37 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooperdude View Post
So who has these for pre-order ?
All the usual suspects - Ham Station, Universal Radio, Scanner Master..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Will Uniden offer a GPS, as an accessory for the 536?
They already do. The same GPS you can get for other scanners and such will work with the 536. It shows out of stock on Uniden's page, but you can search on retailer sites for it.

Serial GPS Receiver for Scanner and Marine Products - Accessories at Uniden
Old 11-24-2013, 1:38 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Nice looking scanners with some great new features. But not having DMR is a dealbreaker for me. Could have at least put a discriminator tap on them.

Last edited by w4amp; 11-24-2013 at 1:43 PM..
Old 11-24-2013, 2:38 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
All the usual suspects - Ham Station, Universal Radio, Scanner Master..

They already do. The same GPS you can get for other scanners and such will work with the 536. It shows out of stock on Uniden's page, but you can search on retailer sites for it.

Serial GPS Receiver for Scanner and Marine Products - Accessories at Uniden
So then my understanding of this is that you can plug this into your Tom Tom or Garmin Nuvi GPS unit to get the benefits of pre-programed scanners like the BCD 436HP and BCD 536HP that will soon be released to be able to automatically scan the area you are driving in?
Old 11-24-2013, 2:46 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Nope, you need a GPS that has a serial port output for the NMEA protocol. 99% of the ones like nuvis and TomToms don't. The one I linked to does.

Tags
bcd436hp, bcd536hp