RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 12:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default I know I asked

about the USB/GPS cables, but did I miss "what's in the box"?

I don't recall seeing that anywhere in the product details/descriptions.

Can anyone tell me what it comes with, specifically (or most importantly) where power/connectivity is concerned?

Thanks guys
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf340b View Post
So for the newbie, will this scanner work for a station that has this quote....

"Some talkgroups on this system are using Project 25 Phase II TDMA modulation which can ONLY be monitored using a GRE PSR-800"

Or do I need the GRE?

thnx
The BCD536HP will work for that type system, as would the handheld BCD436HP.

Strictly speaking, the only scanner available today, 01/01/2014, that can monitor the system is the PSR-800. However, the two new scanners, due out later this month or early February, will add more choices to suitable radios to track that system type. Pre-orders are being accepted for the 536 & 436, but it will be several weeks before those start shipping.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntEnvy View Post

Can anyone tell me what it comes with, specifically (or most importantly) where power/connectivity is concerned?

Thanks guys
If it's like previous models, it will have the two power connections (cigar lighter plug with the coaxial connector, and a 3-wire flying lead cable), the programming cable (USB), and the Wi-Fi adapter. It will also come with the Micro-SD card (4GB from what I recall) and the mounting bracket and knobs. It will not have the DIN sleeve (nor the two DIN sleeve keys) from earlier reports, but will use the same sleeve as previous models.

The GPS cable would be part of the GPS you purchase.

Joe M.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:

Thanks guys
That's covered in the "unboxing" video.

Comes with AC adapter, DC power cord (for cigarette lighter plug-in), DC power cable (for hard-wire installation), USB cable, antenna, wifi dongle, bracket, and knobs. Also a printed manual.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:41 PM

Thank you sir.

Is this overcoming the encryption or "flash code" issues or is this a separate item all together.

I have been out of the biz for quite a while and need to relearn everything.
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2014, 1:28 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Thanks hiegtx

I found an even better link with all kinds of info from that.

And just in case, we will have to download the sentinel for that specific unit and not use the HP version?
Old 01-01-2014, 1:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Will there be any special considerations for the WIFI dongle, such as whether it could be mounted to something using double-faced tape or velcro? I imagine we should shy away from electronic things that could generate RF interference. How about extending the cable if someone would be so inclinde for some reason or another?
Old 01-01-2014, 1:42 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf340b View Post
Thank you sir.

Is this overcoming the encryption or "flash code" issues or is this a separate item all together.

I have been out of the biz for quite a while and need to relearn everything.
Encryption is a totally different issue. No scanner made, now, or in the foreseeable future, will receive & decode encrypted transmissions. That includes the PSR-800, all other current & previous model scanners, and the soon to be released Uniden models. Bottom line is that it's illegal, so no manufacturer will risk trying to do it, and trying to decode a properly encrypted transmission is exceedingly difficult, if not impossible for all practical purposes.
Old 01-01-2014, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiegtx View Post
Encryption is a totally different issue. No scanner made, now, or in the foreseeable future, will receive & decode encrypted transmissions. That includes the PSR-800, all other current & previous model scanners, and the soon to be released Uniden models. Bottom line is that it's illegal, so no manufacturer will risk trying to do it, and trying to decode a properly encrypted transmission is exceedingly difficult, if not impossible for all practical purposes.
Receive? Not a problem.

Decrypt? NEVER

As you've stated - it's illegal - and if people wanted you to decrypt it, they wouldn't have encrypted it to start with.
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2014, 1:50 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I found an even better link with all kinds of info from that.

And just in case, we will have to download the sentinel for that specific unit and not use the HP version?
There is a separate version of Sentinel for the new scanners.
http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/New...on_1_01_07.zip

That is the subject of this lengthy thread.

However, you can export your current HP-1 Favorites lists into *.hpe files, then those will import directly into the x36HP Sentinel program. Then, just edit to add quick keys for the Favorites lists, Systems, Departments, and Sites, as well as Number Tags and Start-up KEYS IF YOU SO DESIRE.
Old 01-01-2014, 1:54 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
Receive? Not a problem.

Decrypt? NEVER

As you've stated - it's illegal - and if people wanted you to decrypt it, they wouldn't have encrypted it to start with.
Right. On the 'letter agency' frequencies (Federal), where encryption is common, most of what you hear is unintelligible gibberish. Once in a while, you may catch some 'clear' transmissions.
Old 01-01-2014, 2:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Just to keep things on the up and up probably best the encryption conversations move here: The Official Thread: Live audio feeds, scanners, and... wait for it.. ENCRYPTION!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2014, 4:15 PM

Does the scanner ship with an invisibility cream to spread on my right hand so that I can see through it as I turn the large left side dial to scroll things on the display? That's about as intelligent as placing the keypad above the display on a handheld scanner!

Who thought putting that on the left side was a good idea? They should be fired.....unless it was Upman, in that case, he should be beaten with a wet noodle for at least 30 seconds!
Old 01-01-2014, 4:23 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You know, folks, when you run out of things to complain about, you don't have to invent new ones...

(Just use your left hand)
Old 01-01-2014, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiegtx View Post
That's covered in the "unboxing" video.

Comes with AC adapter, DC power cord (for cigarette lighter plug-in), DC power cable (for hard-wire installation), USB cable, antenna, wifi dongle, bracket, and knobs. Also a printed manual.
Unless I missed something in everything I've seen and/or read, neither unit comes with an AC cable, and the 536 does not come with an antenna. The 436 is powered by the USB programming cable, and you can buy an AC-USB adapter for a couple bucks if you don't already have some laying around.

Joe M.
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2014, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
You know, folks, when you run out of things to complain about, you don't have to invent new ones...

(Just use your left hand)
Really? I'm supposed to use my LEFT hand to control a scanner mounted in a console on my right hand side while driving? That sounds dangerous. Try it with your FM radio some time if you don't have a scanner in your car. I think you will agree after testing your proposed solution that it's not viable.

I agree with Anderegg, and that was one of my first thoughts when I saw the pic of the 536.

Joe M.
Old 01-01-2014, 5:15 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you're controlling a radio installed to the right of you, using a button or knob on its left edge cannot interfere with the screen to the right of the knob, regardless of which hand you use.

As for my FM radio, I touch a button on my steering wheel. And on my installed scanner, there are no buttons or knobs, just a touch screen.
Old 01-01-2014, 5:33 PM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

I thought the same thing also when I saw the knobs were reversed. I'll just live with it even though with my Tahoe setup it's easier for me with the function knob on the right side while my arm rest on the center console. I was able to see the display, operate the keypad and function knob. It will take some getting use too.
Old 01-01-2014, 5:36 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Unless I missed something in everything I've seen and/or read, neither unit comes with an AC cable, and the 536 does not come with an antenna. The 436 is powered by the USB programming cable, and you can buy an AC-USB adapter for a couple bucks if you don't already have some laying around.

Joe M.
Joe,
The 'un-boxing video' that UPMan (Paul) posted on YouTube shows both an ac adapter and an antenna as among the items in the box. The antenna (it did not show clearly) was probably similar, if not identical to the 'back of the set' snap on telescoping antenna like what came with the 996 series. The antenna is 'found' at about 2:24 of the video, the adapter at 3:09.

The 436, though, does not come with an AC adapter. I purchased one of these to give me both two USB ports with 1.0 amp charging capability, as well as three surge protected outlets. That way I can charge my cell phone and/or the 436. And there are a ton of other AC-USB charging options, as well as DC-USB, as you noted.
Old 01-01-2014, 7:01 PM

I noticed the "included" items in the manual did not provide an AC adapter for the 436.

Will the AC adapter for the 536 work for or does the 436 need to be USB only due to the rechargeable batteries?

Tags
bcd436hp, bcd536hp