RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1221 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 9:09 AM
Jay911's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bragg Creek, Alberta
Posts: 6,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise871 View Post
I was going through the manual. Under Custom Search I see no option for Control Channel only like on the XT. I take it there is another way to search for WACN and System ID. Maybe this is now under Discovery Mode?
The HP1, in addition to Discovery Mode, has a feature called Analyze Mode. It's not quite exactly what you want, and it's not in the manual, but it is shown on the menu (on the 436) on the cover of the manual, so I'm hoping it is still included.

I'm going to explain the two (Discovery and Analysis) as they pertain to the HP1, below.. if you already know about them, my apologies, and just scroll past.

Discovery Mode has two different settings - Trunk Discovery and Conventional Discovery. (In the HP1, Limit Search was added here with a firmware update, but I presume the x36 line has it in a separate menu like the x96 line.)

Conventional Discovery lets you set a lower frequency limit and an upper frequency limit, and in that way it's much like a limit search. Where it differs (and gets much better than limit search, IMO) is that you can not only record what you find - which you can with limit search as well - but after you've recorded a pre-defined amount of time on each frequency, it's avoided for the rest of the session. That way you record a certain amount of traffic on a channel, can identify it, and then move on to other channels.

Trunking Discovery works much the same way, except that instead of a lower band limit and upper band limit, you specify a trunk system and site. On the HP1, this has to be a known trunk system/site, and has to be loaded in memory and not out-of-range, not avoided due to your service type selections, etc. So it will listen to all talkgroups and record them, and then avoid them once it's recorded your set amount of time.

Both discovery modes allow for between 30 and 600 seconds (0.5 - 10 minutes) of audio per channel, and you can have it automatically resume searching after 10 to 60 seconds of continuous transmission (so a yammering tow truck driver or a data/telemetry channel doesn't lock up the search). Also, you can tell the session to compare hits to the database if you want - that way if it's a known channel it won't use up recording time on something you (or somebody else on RR) has already identified.

Analyze Mode, at least on the HP1, also requires a "known" trunk system and site, so you can't just search for a signal and immediately come up with the trunking information. However, I have a "dummy" system and site programmed into one of my favorites lists, and I can just change the frequency on the site to whatever frequency the control channel I happen across is.

You can do several neat things in analyze mode. One of them automatically sorts out the LCNs on EDACS and LTR systems, given the frequencies are already at least programmed into the site in some order. Another one will let you watch LCN activity with a colored bar graph that indicates when each frequency is in use - helpful if your system rotates sequentially through its assigned frequencies. But my most favorite function in analyze mode is the Activity Log. That will show you the WACN/SysID/RFSS/Site#, or equivalent in other systems like EDACS and Motorola, and will show channel grants and such as they are transmitted on the CC. If you've ever used Unitrunker or another trunking protocol decoder, this is like that. It's even written to disk and can be reviewed within Sentinel (at least in the HP1; the x36 version of Sentinel doesn't have the Analyze menu, so I'm hoping it's just a bug/omission and it'll be brought back before release).

Having said all that, I just remembered one more thing - on the HP1, if you go into the Advanced menu on a trunk system and hit Site Information, you can then browse all the sites and within each site, tap on a frequency to directly monitor that frequency. If CC data is present and it matches that system's protocol/flavor (i.e. you receive a P25 CC signal while on a system that is set for P25), you will see the WACN, SID, RFSS, Site, and NAC (or, of course, EDACS/Mot equivalents) on-screen. Perhaps the limit search/custom search on the x36 takes that functionality and runs with it, decoding any monitorable CC on the fly?
Sponsored links
  #1222 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 9:17 AM
wise871's Avatar
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: N.W. Florida
Posts: 2,314
Default

Jay
Thank you for the detailed explanation. Yes I have the HP-1 and your detailed explanation helped jar my memory.
Thanks
__________________
Dan M
BCD436HP /BCD536HP /BCD396XT /BCD996T(XT) /BCT15X /PRO-197 /PRO-106 /PSR-410 /HP-1 /BC898T
  #1223 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 11:39 AM
TedRHayes's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Beavercreek, Ohio
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
The HP1, in addition to Discovery Mode, has a feature called Analyze Mode. It's not quite exactly what you want, and it's not in the manual, but it is shown on the menu (on the 436) on the cover of the manual, so I'm hoping it is still included.

I'm going to explain the two (Discovery and Analysis) as they pertain to the HP1, below.. if you already know about them, my apologies, and just scroll past.

Discovery Mode has two different settings - Trunk Discovery and Conventional Discovery. (In the HP1, Limit Search was added here with a firmware update, but I presume the x36 line has it in a separate menu like the x96 line.)

Conventional Discovery lets you set a lower frequency limit and an upper frequency limit, and in that way it's much like a limit search. Where it differs (and gets much better than limit search, IMO) is that you can not only record what you find - which you can with limit search as well - but after you've recorded a pre-defined amount of time on each frequency, it's avoided for the rest of the session. That way you record a certain amount of traffic on a channel, can identify it, and then move on to other channels.

Trunking Discovery works much the same way, except that instead of a lower band limit and upper band limit, you specify a trunk system and site. On the HP1, this has to be a known trunk system/site, and has to be loaded in memory and not out-of-range, not avoided due to your service type selections, etc. So it will listen to all talkgroups and record them, and then avoid them once it's recorded your set amount of time.

Both discovery modes allow for between 30 and 600 seconds (0.5 - 10 minutes) of audio per channel, and you can have it automatically resume searching after 10 to 60 seconds of continuous transmission (so a yammering tow truck driver or a data/telemetry channel doesn't lock up the search). Also, you can tell the session to compare hits to the database if you want - that way if it's a known channel it won't use up recording time on something you (or somebody else on RR) has already identified.

Analyze Mode, at least on the HP1, also requires a "known" trunk system and site, so you can't just search for a signal and immediately come up with the trunking information. However, I have a "dummy" system and site programmed into one of my favorites lists, and I can just change the frequency on the site to whatever frequency the control channel I happen across is.

You can do several neat things in analyze mode. One of them automatically sorts out the LCNs on EDACS and LTR systems, given the frequencies are already at least programmed into the site in some order. Another one will let you watch LCN activity with a colored bar graph that indicates when each frequency is in use - helpful if your system rotates sequentially through its assigned frequencies. But my most favorite function in analyze mode is the Activity Log. That will show you the WACN/SysID/RFSS/Site#, or equivalent in other systems like EDACS and Motorola, and will show channel grants and such as they are transmitted on the CC. If you've ever used Unitrunker or another trunking protocol decoder, this is like that. It's even written to disk and can be reviewed within Sentinel (at least in the HP1; the x36 version of Sentinel doesn't have the Analyze menu, so I'm hoping it's just a bug/omission and it'll be brought back before release).

Having said all that, I just remembered one more thing - on the HP1, if you go into the Advanced menu on a trunk system and hit Site Information, you can then browse all the sites and within each site, tap on a frequency to directly monitor that frequency. If CC data is present and it matches that system's protocol/flavor (i.e. you receive a P25 CC signal while on a system that is set for P25), you will see the WACN, SID, RFSS, Site, and NAC (or, of course, EDACS/Mot equivalents) on-screen. Perhaps the limit search/custom search on the x36 takes that functionality and runs with it, decoding any monitorable CC on the fly?
Unfortunately the HP1 style Analyze and Discover modes requires a trunked system to "known", i.e., a system and its site(s) frequencies must be programmed into the HP1 before you can perform and Analyze or Discover.

Previously in the BCD396XT/BCD996XT, one could search through a range of frequencies in CC mode, and if a CC was encountered, the scanner would stop on that frequency and start monitoring voice traffic on the "found" system. This allowed one to discover a new/unknown system site/CC.

Not sure the HP1 (and I guess the BCD436HP/BCD536HP) has the capability to "easily" discover an unknown trunked system site CC in basically a one step operation.
  #1224 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:51 PM
UPMan's Avatar
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 8,045
Default

Just a heads up that you'll start seeing some post from actual, real live people (not beta testers or others with a bit of early access). We made special arrangements to get a few units aired in so that we could take care of orders we got from the admins here at RadioReference, and they should be getting them today and tomorrow (if they ordered only a 536...if they ordered a 436 or both, we are waiting for the expedited 436's to arrive to ship all at once).

Note that we've not shipped a single unit out to distributors, yet, so if you hear otherwise, it just ain't so. I know there has been some confusion with some early listings on eBay and elsewhere...but unless a dB admin decides to immediately turn around and sell his/her scanner (please don't), there aren't any units for sale quite yet...but very close.
__________________
Uniden Product Ninja
Who is UpMan and why doesn't he answer my email/phone call?
Professional Scanner Developer
  #1225 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:59 PM
wise871's Avatar
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: N.W. Florida
Posts: 2,314
Default

Thanks for the update.
__________________
Dan M
BCD436HP /BCD536HP /BCD396XT /BCD996T(XT) /BCT15X /PRO-197 /PRO-106 /PSR-410 /HP-1 /BC898T

Last edited by wise871; 01-14-2014 at 1:05 PM..
Sponsored links
        
  #1226 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 1:03 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: around the bend
Posts: 732
Default

Honestly and no offense but I don't really think the RR community really cares about special orders being shipped out to the radio admins here on the forum as an update from Uniden headquarters.

It would be nice to know when the units that we have all paid for in advance are going to be shipped to the dealers so we have an idea when the majority of us will start receiving our radios since there are alot more people that ordered radios then radio admins on RR.com
  #1227 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 1:06 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 508
Default

I appreciate that info from UPMan.

I am so looking forward to the Admin's posting some more videos of the units receiving simulcast systems.

THANKS !
  #1228 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 1:06 PM
UPMan's Avatar
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 8,045
Default

Absolutely (but be sure to do a f/w and database update before describing how it works...we've fixed quite a slew of bugs since the hardware was produced last month ).

I believe all dealers should be able to have units on their shelves by the end of next week (I have no idea how long it actually takes to get from us to the distributor then from them to dealers, but that is probably about enough time for it to have happened).

(I was very busy at CES last week with absolutely abysmal internet connectivity...didn't get much posting done and wasn't anything new on this front, in any event.)
__________________
Uniden Product Ninja
Who is UpMan and why doesn't he answer my email/phone call?
Professional Scanner Developer

Last edited by UPMan; 01-14-2014 at 1:10 PM..
  #1229 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 1:08 PM
LiquidPandora's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: The Good Old USA!!!
Posts: 91
Arrow

At Least he said something... He has not said a Fricking thing for days... So something is better than nothing.

I want to know what UPMans Version of "Very Soon" is?...
Sponsored links
  #1230 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 1:10 PM
KevinC's Avatar
Moderator
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 1,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsima1 View Post
Honestly and no offense but I don't really think the RR community really cares about special orders being shipped out to the radio admins here on the forum as an update from Uniden headquarters.

It would be nice to know when the units that we have all paid for in advance are going to be shipped to the dealers so we have an idea when the majority of us will start receiving our radios since there are alot more people that ordered radios then radio admins on RR.com
I'm pretty sure he posted that so if an admin did post something about his/hers people that ordered one wouldn't freak-out wondering why they hadn't received theirs...but I could be wrong.
__________________
BC-210XLT

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
  #1231 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 1:10 PM
LiquidPandora's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: The Good Old USA!!!
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Absolutely (but be sure to do a f/w and database update before describing how it works...we've fixed quite a slew of bugs since the hardware was produced last month ).

I believe all dealers should be able to have units on their shelves by the end of next week (I have no idea how long it actually takes to get from us to the distributor then from them to dealers, but that is probably about enough time for it to have happened).

(I was very busy at CES last week with absolutely abysmal internet connectivity...didn't get much posting done and wasn't anything new on this front, in any event.)
THANK YOU!.. that's better )
  #1232 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 1:10 PM
UPMan's Avatar
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 8,045
Default

That is exactly why.
__________________
Uniden Product Ninja
Who is UpMan and why doesn't he answer my email/phone call?
Professional Scanner Developer
  #1233 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 1:11 PM
Jay911's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bragg Creek, Alberta
Posts: 6,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsima1 View Post
Honestly and no offense but I don't really think the RR community really cares about special orders being shipped out to the radio admins
Speak for yourself. I'm willing to bet a larger number of people are interested in getting admins to perform tasks and answer some unanswered questions, than there are doing this (even if we all want to):
Attached Images
 
  #1234 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 1:17 PM
Steve2003's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 530
Default

Does this mean we will see the first public version Siren App sometime soon or are there still a few development issues to work through?
__________________
MNN-077
  #1235 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 1:21 PM
UPMan's Avatar
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 8,045
Default

Unfortunately, Siren app is still in development. Pushing all parties as hard as I can. Will likely do a public beta (will only be taking official reports from our official beta testers, but will give you something to play with earlier than actual V1.0 release). That is still a bit off, too, though.
__________________
Uniden Product Ninja
Who is UpMan and why doesn't he answer my email/phone call?
Professional Scanner Developer
Sponsored links
  #1236 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 1:25 PM
KevinC's Avatar
Moderator
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Houston,Texas
Posts: 1,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsima1 View Post
Honestly and no offense but I don't really think the RR community really cares about special orders being shipped out to the radio admins here on the forum as an update from Uniden headquarters.

It would be nice to know when the units that we have all paid for in advance are going to be shipped to the dealers so we have an idea when the majority of us will start receiving our radios since there are alot more people that ordered radios then radio admins on RR.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I'm pretty sure he posted that so if an admin did post something about his/hers people that ordered one wouldn't freak-out wondering why they hadn't received theirs...but I could be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
That is exactly why.
I'm also pretty sure Paul was replying to my reply to pepsima1...again, I could be wrong.
__________________
BC-210XLT

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
  #1237 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 1:27 PM
UPMan's Avatar
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 8,045
Default

I can't type fast enough.
__________________
Uniden Product Ninja
Who is UpMan and why doesn't he answer my email/phone call?
Professional Scanner Developer
  #1238 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 1:28 PM
wise871's Avatar
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: N.W. Florida
Posts: 2,314
Default

I'm going to post a quick short review and pics if thats cool.
__________________
Dan M
BCD436HP /BCD536HP /BCD396XT /BCD996T(XT) /BCT15X /PRO-197 /PRO-106 /PSR-410 /HP-1 /BC898T
  #1239 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 1:29 PM
UPMan's Avatar
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 8,045
Default

Only if it is a positive review.

OK, just kidding.
__________________
Uniden Product Ninja
Who is UpMan and why doesn't he answer my email/phone call?
Professional Scanner Developer
  #1240 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2014, 1:30 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 16
Default

Just called Scannermaster they told don't expect to get it (536 Pre-order) till the first week of February.
 

Tags
bcd436hp, bcd536hp

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions