Thinking about the HP-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

I am considering buying a Homepatrol HP-1 when the two new Uniden scanners come out. I'm hoping that the price will come down since it will be overshadowed by the 436 and 536.

I don't require P-25 because my home county is still running low band, but the county I work in utilizes it. My county is in the planning stages of a new system, but I believe it will be analog VHF. It would be more of a toy than anything and getting my feet wet in the world of digital scanners. I would not hearing other local counties who have recently switched to P-25 and I also like searching through bands for unknown frequencies.

I have seen some people saying that the scanner is essentially useless without the extreme upgrade. How factual is that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I am considering buying a Homepatrol HP-1 when the two new Uniden scanners come out. I'm hoping that the price will come down since it will be overshadowed by the 436 and 536.

I don't require P-25 because my home county is still running low band, but the county I work in utilizes it. My county is in the planning stages of a new system, but I believe it will be analog VHF. It would be more of a toy than anything and getting my feet wet in the world of digital scanners. I would not hearing other local counties who have recently switched to P-25 and I also like searching through bands for unknown frequencies.

I have seen some people saying that the scanner is essentially useless without the extreme upgrade. How factual is that?

This is just my opinion, but that statement is completely false.

I don't have the extreme upgrade on my HP-1, and it is very useful. Granted, I can't do much in the way of "on the go" programming while out in the field, but that's why I carry a second scanner with me when I'm mobile. Once again just my opinion, but the HP-1 is a pretty fantastic scanner without the upgrade.

Hope that helps you some.

:)

lep

Not very factual. In fact it was some months After the HP-1 was announced and in service before the Extreme upgrade was even mentioned by Uniden, I had my first HP-1 (I now own two) in service for many months using both the Uniden software and ARC Patrol from Uniden for additional flexibility with favorites list.
Those of us who were intitial purchasers were given a one-time opportunity to purchase the "key", seems the firmware was always in the HP-1 but was locked out. With the EE, there is much more power to Discover new things about trunking systems but from what you describe as your local situation it doesn't sound to me as if you Need the EE.
For comparision, I also have a 996XT, 996T, 785D, 396T all operating here and the HP-1s are Great Scanners IMHOP. Don't believe those who claim they are only for beginners, I am a radio engineer and have been doing this a long time.

bgav

Completely not factual and very likely written either by someone who does not own or has never used an HP-1, is misinformed or has an anti-Uniden or HP-1 axe to grind.

I have the Extreme Upgrade and only use the advanced features occasionally for exploring or analyzing changes to the trunked systems in my area.

For the majority of my HP-1 usage, it's mobile scanning of my Favorites and Full Database using GPS location based scanning which is not dependent on the Extreme Upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

That is completely untrue. Have you heard any specifics as to why it would be useless without the upgrade? Any particular statement that concerns you?

Most of those that claim that it is useless without the upgrade simply don't understand the full capability of the basic unit... nor do they understand what the upgrade actually does.

With the free HP Sentinel software, you have the ability to program whatever you want to listen to in addition to the master database (which has free updates every week).

You can create your own favorites lists with Sentinel, and listen to just those lists, or any combination of those lists and the master database.

The extreme upgrade has a very nice toolbox, some of the features are not available on any other scanner. But they are not necessary for the average user. The upgrade does not increase reception range, or add any abilities to receive frequencies or modes that could not be received without it. As others have mentioned, it is a very advanced scanner even without the upgrade

Extreme features are listed here:

HomePatrolExtreme < HomePatrol < TWiki

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Is the county you work in P25 phase 1 or phase 2? If they are phase 2 you need one of the new scanners. Are you 100% that your home county will be analog VHF? If they go phase 2 digital your out of luck.

Or look into a analog scanner save a lot of cash but you wont be able to hear your work county stuff.

N8IAA

This is a question you should ask in the PA state forum. There might be info about what your county's new system will be. Since you don't state where you drive to work, we can't try to help with what they are using.
By the way, the HP-1 is an adequate scanner, and doesn't need the Extreme upgrade to monitor conventional, trunked, and digital trunked systems.
Just remember, the state of PA is transitioning to a new digital P-25 system that even though it is P-25 Phase I, may move to Phase II with the frequencies being use.
Again, ask in the PA forum:)
HTH,
Larry

dmg1969

Thanks all for the input. It's something I am still considering as well as, if I am going to spend the $, just get the 436. It all depends on if the prices on the HP-1 come down. I won't buy one if, for a few bucks more, I can buy the newest technology.

To answer some specifics...

fxdscon: It had to do with what you could and could not do in the way of searching.

torontokris: the county I work in is phase 1. I do know that. Whether they will upgrade to phase 2 is hard to say. And, as far as my home county, I have been speaking with the director of the county Emergency Management Agency, so it is good information. No solid decisions yet. I am going to check back with him after the new year. It is one of the poorer counties, so I do not see them investing in a digital system unless the state would heavily subsidize it. If that would be the case, I would definitely opt for the new 436.

Larry: I didn't ask it in the PA forum because it is not REALLY concerning location. It was more of a general question concerning the HP-1 and whether or not the Extreme Upgrade makes or breaks the scanner. The county where I work is Dauphin and I do know they are P25 phase 1. As far as the state transitioning...that's what put me on the fence with the HP-1 or the 436 for essentially the same amount. I could buy the HP-1 and be happy for a while or find out that PA is going to be phase 2. Also, all of the local counties that ARE phase 1 could switch to phase 2 and I would would be left SOL. LOL.

wbswetnam

I have had my HP-1 for close to 18 months and I enjoy it. I got the EE but I rarely use those features. My only major beef with the HP-1 is its lack of sensitivity on VHF, especially if you use the stubby little antenna that comes with it. My other digital radio, a nine year old RS Pro-96, has far better sensitivity than the HP-1, so basically my HP-1 is only good for comms within my county. But I love the display and its ease of use. I have the optional GPS and I have taken it on road trips with me. There is simply no other way to scan while traveling, I must say!

On another note, I thought that Pennsylvania used an unmonitorable Open Sky digital system...???

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The stock antenna on the HP-1 does leave a lot to be desired. However, with a better antenna, it holds it's own pretty well. At home, I have mine connected to an ST-2 on the roof, and it does very well. When I use mine in my SUV, I use a mag mount on the roof of the truck. Around town, outside of the external antenna, the various 800MHz trunks do well using the R/S 800MHz antenna. My PSR-500 may have more raw sensitivity, but here in the metro area, it overloads so easily with too much antenna, that is wasted. It's not an issue with the HP-1.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Don't do it. This thing sucks, Wait until someone else has a scanner that works!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many of us have them in both the mobile and home environment and use them with much success. My only recommendation is an antenna upgrade.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

dmg1969

I have had my HP-1 for close to 18 months and I enjoy it. I got the EE but I rarely use those features. My only major beef with the HP-1 is its lack of sensitivity on VHF, especially if you use the stubby little antenna that comes with it. My other digital radio, a nine year old RS Pro-96, has far better sensitivity than the HP-1, so basically my HP-1 is only good for comms within my county. But I love the display and its ease of use. I have the optional GPS and I have taken it on road trips with me. There is simply no other way to scan while traveling, I must say!

On another note, I thought that Pennsylvania used an unmonitorable Open Sky digital system...???

wbswetnam, PA State Police and a neighboring county are Open Sky. Most counties are not, however. Also, Open Sky was a failure in this state and it will be switched out to a P25 system eventually.

I like the LOOK of the HP1 because it is so different than a normal scanner. The touchscreen interface and color display are cool.

scantime

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
I like the LOOK of the HP1 because it is so different than a normal scanner. The touchscreen interface and color display are cool.

It's a nice little scanner and I intend to pick up another one, but not before adding a 536.

bgav

Completely not factual and very likely written either by someone who does not own or has never used an HP-1, is misinformed or has an anti-Uniden or HP-1 axe to grind.
Tapatalk

See post # (deleted) Just like I said.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I have cleaned up several posts in this thread.
Lets get back on topic please.
Marshall KE4ZNR

mmartinfan

Banned
As a paid spokesman for Uniden, he can say anything.

As a paid service for Uniden, RR.com gives him unlimited range to speak and us no right to question him.

Status
Not open for further replies.