Looking for new scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErieCountyPublicSafety

Feed Provider
I am looking for a NEW scanner to use for my LIVE Feed. I currently have a Pro-163, but was wanting to start broadcasting digital audio. Currently there is only a couple of digital channels in my area. They are Ohio State Highway Patrol, Life Flight, and Sandusky County EMS. I am looking at the BCD996XT. I like the look of the scanner, but don't know a lot about it. I do have a Homepatrol, and love it. If someone could tell me a little about that scanner, I would like it.

Thanks.

frazpo

I am looking for a NEW scanner to use for my LIVE Feed. I currently have a Pro-163, but was wanting to start broadcasting digital audio. Currently there is only a couple of digital channels in my area. They are Ohio State Highway Patrol, Life Flight, and Sandusky County EMS. I am looking at the BCD996XT. I like the look of the scanner, but don't know a lot about it. I do have a Homepatrol, and love it. If someone could tell me a little about that scanner, I would like it.

Thanks.

Have you programmed any of the Unidens with the dynamic memory system? This will be a little more complex than programming your HP. Your question is a little vague. I am not sure what exactly you are wanting to know. Its a great scanner. Can you be more specific?

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
Looking for a new scanner

Thanks.

Check out the Wiki info: BCD996XT - The RadioReference Wiki

It's a 'top of the line' scanner. I would suggest to use computer software to program it.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
First, thanks for hosting a live feed. People who go the extra step for the benefit of others are always appreciated!

The BCD996XT is an excellent scanner and should serve you well. Once you get past the initial learning curve and take advantage of software programming packages such as Freescan or ARC XT, you should be quite happy with it.

You may consider the two new scanners coming out next month. I've pre-ordered the BCD536HP and am anxious to get it. That scanner sounds like its a blend of the Home Patrol and the 996XT, with the capability of receiving an additional format or two (P25 type II for example). Plus it may be a little more "friendly" with simulcast systems (if that's even applicable to you).

With you having a Home Patrol you are probably well versed with the Sentinel programming software. The BCD536HP will use it's own version of the Sentinel software. I haven't been able to confirm this, but you might even be able to import the Favorites Lists created for your Home Patrol into the BCD536HP. So programming effort may be reduced.

Having said that, the BCD536HP is a little pricer than the 996XT (and it's possible there could be a greater price drop on the 996XTs after the new scanners come out).

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I recently purchased a BCD996XT as my feed is upgrading to digital. I have have the BCD396XT, BCT15, and BCT15X so I am familiar with the programming. The prices have been dropping since the introduction of the new models. I got it on Amazon for $405. If you get one you are welcome to PM me if you have any questions. They are easy to program with FreeScan once you understand the basics.

Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual

ErieCountyPublicSafety

Feed Provider
Thanks for all the replys. I really like the software that the Homepatrol has. I dont know a whole lot about the other software. I use the PSREdit for my Pro 163 and 164, and I like that.

W8RMH: I really appreciate you offering to help with the setu of the scanner. I am planning on heading to Reynoldsburg to the Universal Radio store to do some shopping this Saturday. So i will probably leave with a BCD996XT or a HomePatrol. Dont know yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.