RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 10:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Have you tried doing an FCC License search?

License Search - Advanced License Search
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2013, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Quick ? My wife works for a security company....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofd8001 View Post
Have you tried doing an FCC License search?

License Search - Advanced License Search
That's a very interesting site. I did a search for as a novice could do and found some listings that may be valid however they are a national chain and it gives multiple licenses but freqs seem to be in the 461, 464 469 range

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp928s View Post
I did a search with this and it gives results of 27 towers and 50 antennas found but I don't know what I'm looking at. Lol

Old 12-12-2013, 11:01 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If it is a contract security company the radios could be licensed by the client. If so, try searching for the company at the location she is working at.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:03 PM

Clicked on one and it shows an antenna right next to her building it gives height, power output power radiated and 2 frequencies. I guess that could be it

Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2013, 11:11 PM

Ok I tried direct entry into the Hp1 using the advanced menu, quick frequency entry then accept then listen but it's still on the local channels that I was listening to. Once I put the freq in then what do I do? Also how do I determine if the freq is a am, fm, or nfm? Does this setting matter?

Old 12-12-2013, 11:57 PM

CP100's will do FM or NFM. Legally they should be on NFM, but they may not be. It shouldn't matter too much, either one will receive it. If you use NFM and it sound distorted, use FM.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:14 AM

Well one freq I heard a faint transmission that sounded like it was a maintenance person. Haven't heard anything on the other channel but didn't figure I would since I came home and I'm about 10 miles away as the crow flies and using factory supplied antenna

Old 12-13-2013, 1:31 AM

CP200's are 2 watts and have poor antennas, so receiving it from a mile away would be doing pretty good. You'd need to be pretty close to hear them.

Don't get too much into the database searches that use locations. If it's a big security company they can have licenses that cover the nation, state, or large geographic area. It's unlikely they'd be running a repeater, so searching for antenna sites may not be helpful. Finding your wife's company in the FCC database would be a good place to start. But, as others have said, the radios/license might belong to the client. It's not totally out of the question that they are not licensed, either.
Sponsored links

Old 12-13-2013, 1:49 AM

Being a cp100 I figured that would help me a little because for them to pick up that signal with them little radios I figured they would have to put a bit of juice to them. There is an antenna located on or near their property referencing their name and saying 10 watt so I would think they would be licensed as it is over 4 watts right? I am going to try again in the next few days going up there and manually inputting those frequencies in.
On the manual feature n the Hp1 u can just input the freq and and hit the accept button right? Don't have to hit the listen button do you? When I do that it goes back to scanning whatever favorite I have scanning at the time

Old 12-13-2013, 8:06 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Just hit accept lawman. Like you said, when you hit listen that takes you back to scanning the database/favorite list you were working off of.

You can do a favorites list on the computer in Sentinel too. Put all possible frequencies in and then turn on that favorites list while you are scanning your normal database (or just scan the favorites list).
Old 12-13-2013, 11:11 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Another option is that the radios may be operating in the MURS band. I worked for a company that did security at a large call center. The client provided the radios and I think they were in that band (I never really checked). They weren't powerful as there were a few dead spots before even leaving the property.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm going to make a stab as to the frequencies, MURS in the 151-154.7MHz range. You can check here on RR in the Wiki for the actual frequencies. See if they match what you located on the FCC license site.
There is even a thread here on RR for frequencies used at the stores and warehouses.
The company I worked for five years used CP-100's in the UHF range with business frequencies. Used a scanner in CC and got the frequencies (4 with the DCS codes).
Larry
Old 12-14-2013, 12:15 PM

(1)Have your wife take the battery off the back of the radio and look inside. A lot of radios have the frequency that they are operating on them inside the battery case. (2) go to your local Radio Shack and ask if they have the frequency. A lot of the times, they have them on a list at the store because you are not the only one who wants to listen in. (3) Call the local radio shop and ask to talk to a tech. Tell him your story, he might give you the frequency. (4) Look in the RR data base for your county under businesses...just a few thoughts..
Old 12-14-2013, 3:02 PM

I had her take the back off the radio and no frequencies. It Did FCC Id etc

Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2013, 3:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

lawman210, you have a PM.
Larry
Old 12-14-2013, 3:42 PM

PM answered

Old 12-14-2013, 3:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you could post a picture of the radio used by your wife, which shows the antenna, it could provide a clue. It might help us narrow down whether the frequncies are in the 800, 450-470 or 150 range. That's not a guarantee however.

If the building is very large (on the order of 100,000 square feet), it's possible a repeater is being used. If so, you might be able to monitor the comms at home. But if their radios are simplex (transmitting and receiving on the same frequency) you may be out of luck. Concrete and steel of warehouse structures soak up radio "stuff". If there is a base station, such as a mobile radio on a power supply connected to an exterior antenna, you might be able to hear the base to portable part of the conversation.

Lastly if there's a model number on the sticker (the one with the FCC ID), please post that (it's probably a long series of alpha characters and digits). We might be able to decode the frequency range of the radio from the model number. Some times the long model numbers give a little more information on the radio configuration.
Old 12-14-2013, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman210 View Post
I had her take the back off the radio and no frequencies. It Did FCC Id etc
Use the FCC ID to find the frequency band (click on the check mark icon in the Display Grant column)
OET -- FCC ID Search
Old 12-14-2013, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB-Wi View Post
Use the FCC ID to find the frequency band (click on the check mark icon in the Display Grant column)
OET -- FCC ID Search
That's great. Gonna need to wait til Monday as I just realized the picture my wife sent isn't clear enough to read every digit of the FCC ID. I really appreciate all your guys help and replies