Quick ? My wife works for a security company....

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawman210

She works for a security company who uses radios to communicate throughout the facility. She wanted to know if I could actually monitor it. I have know idea what frequency they are on. All I know is they use Motorola 100 radios
What the best way to try to search her transmissions out? I know the exact time when they do radio checks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

captclint

Mentor
What the best way to try to search her transmissions out? I know the exact time when they do radio checks
Use close call on a Uniden scanner, or signal stalker on a radio shack or GRE.This is only an option if you can get within 0.1 to 0.2 of mile of the building when they do the radio checks(the closer the better)

Last edited:

lawman210

Sorry I have a Hp1. Figured I could go to hwr work, sit in the parking lot and set it to search all types of transmissions with auto locate or zipcode. Lower the distance to like 1 mile

frazpo

Sorry I have a Hp1. Figured I could go to hwr work, sit in the parking lot and set it to search all types of transmissions with auto locate or zipcode. Lower the distance to like 1 mile

I figured most security businesses were registered with FCC.

AC2OY

You could do what I did when I want to confirm when my job changed their system,I brought my scanner in, locked it on my frequency and keyed up. The only sad thing was that my Pro-197 couldn't monitor MotoTRBO...actually NO scanner to my knowledge can...yet...LOL. You should be able to do a search and find the agency or business and find the frequencies.Good luck!

lawman210

Oh so they probably won't transmit 5 miles or so? Guess not but they are a giant warehouse. Figure they would have a little range on them

lawman210

Ok I did an auto locate in the parking lot. Scanning only business services. Raised squelch up a tad and lower range to 2 miles. But have no idea if the business database covers their radios. I'm looking for a needle in a haystack. Anyone have a reference guide? PM me and I will give u name of the business maybe it would be in there

lawman210

What data base covers the lower 150 range? It appears to be searching 400 band since I'm coming up with 461.xxx frequencies

smp928s

Premium Subscriber
Lawman, did you try and put the address of the business into antennasearch.com? I have found security frequencies that way.

lawman210

No. I just started playing with a scanner so not much up on references.  I will try that now

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
What data base covers the lower 150 range? It appears to be searching 400 band since I'm coming up with 461.xxx frequencies

Don't know. Last scanner I purchased, 12+ years ago, allowed input of custom search ranges. The only databases mine does are the ones I put in myself.

N8IAA

Without the Extreme upgrade, there is no Close Call, or frequency search on the HP. Get a cheap newer scanner, and you can search till the batteries die:D
Larry

lawman210

So with the extreme I can do like older scanners and put upper and lower range in and scan?

lawman210

Lol no I just told my wife I could probably pick her up and decided to drive out there before really knowing how to use this thing (bad idea). I am extreme Newby. Although I have talked many years on a radio not much experience just listening in unless I had my radio that was on that channel. Now that my friends I was good at. I could be waken up out of a dead sleep at 4 am on the midnight shift sleeping off a sugar high from a box a donuts with the smallest of sounds like "3A34" my ears perked up and I was ready to go. Lol

N8IAA

Lol no I just told my wife I could probably pick her up and decided to drive out there before really knowing how to use this thing (bad idea). I am extreme Newby. Although I have talked many years on a radio not much experience just listening in unless I had my radio that was on that channel. Now that my friends I was good at. I could be waken up out of a dead sleep at 4 am on the midnight shift sleeping off a sugar high from a box a donuts with the smallest of sounds like "3A34" my ears perked up and I was ready to go. Lol

I'm sure that somewhere in the database is the VHF/UHF business frequencies. Don't know. Never had to use it for anything else but P-25 trunk systems. I'm thinking about getting the upgrade just to look for different stuff out there. All of my other scanners allow me to do that search. I guess that's why they came out with the new 436/536. Can't see investing in the new ones when I have a scanner that does Phase II.
Larry

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

The RadioReference database will only have the info that we the users submit. If no one has submitted the security company's info, it won't be in there.
The security company may also lease time on a repeater from a local company that actually holds the license. So searching the FCC database may not be of any help, either, if the security company itself doesn't hold the actual license.
Or, the security company could be owned by another company, and the license may be in that company's name, and not the security company's name.
The best way is to search the most likely frequency ranges until you find the right frequency. (And if they're using a repeater, make sure that you aren't trying to listen to the repeater input, since it won't have the range that you'd get from listening to the repeater output.)
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.