RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 7:26 PM

Default Quick ? My wife works for a security company....

She works for a security company who uses radios to communicate throughout the facility. She wanted to know if I could actually monitor it. I have know idea what frequency they are on. All I know is they use Motorola 100 radios
What the best way to try to search her transmissions out? I know the exact time when they do radio checks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2013, 7:34 PM
Mentor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman210 View Post
What the best way to try to search her transmissions out? I know the exact time when they do radio checks
Use close call on a Uniden scanner, or signal stalker on a radio shack or GRE.This is only an option if you can get within 0.1 to 0.2 of mile of the building when they do the radio checks(the closer the better)

Last edited by captclint; 12-12-2013 at 7:43 PM..
Old 12-12-2013, 7:41 PM

Sorry I have a Hp1. Figured I could go to hwr work, sit in the parking lot and set it to search all types of transmissions with auto locate or zipcode. Lower the distance to like 1 mile

Old 12-12-2013, 7:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Sorry I have a Hp1. Figured I could go to hwr work, sit in the parking lot and set it to search all types of transmissions with auto locate or zipcode. Lower the distance to like 1 mile

I figured most security businesses were registered with FCC.
Old 12-12-2013, 7:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You could do what I did when I want to confirm when my job changed their system,I brought my scanner in, locked it on my frequency and keyed up. The only sad thing was that my Pro-197 couldn't monitor MotoTRBO...actually NO scanner to my knowledge can...yet...LOL. You should be able to do a search and find the agency or business and find the frequencies.Good luck!
Uniden 536HP
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2013, 7:53 PM

Oh so they probably won't transmit 5 miles or so? Guess not but they are a giant warehouse. Figure they would have a little range on them

Old 12-12-2013, 7:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Try this site perhaps:

AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more.
Old 12-12-2013, 7:59 PM

Quote:
All I know is they use Motorola 100 radios
Is it a CP100 hand held? If so, they are analog, VHF or UHF. Set your search to run from 150-160MHz in the VHF band or 461-470MHz.

If they have their original/factory antennas on them, they may say either "VHF" or "UHF" on them.
Old 12-12-2013, 8:15 PM

Ok I did an auto locate in the parking lot. Scanning only business services. Raised squelch up a tad and lower range to 2 miles. But have no idea if the business database covers their radios. I'm looking for a needle in a haystack. Anyone have a reference guide? PM me and I will give u name of the business maybe it would be in there

Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2013, 8:15 PM

That's right cp100

Old 12-12-2013, 8:17 PM

What data base covers the lower 150 range? It appears to be searching 400 band since I'm coming up with 461.xxx frequencies

Old 12-12-2013, 8:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Lawman, did you try and put the address of the business into antennasearch.com? I have found security frequencies that way.
Old 12-12-2013, 8:24 PM

No. I just started playing with a scanner so not much up on references.  I will try that now

Old 12-12-2013, 8:29 PM

Quote:
What data base covers the lower 150 range? It appears to be searching 400 band since I'm coming up with 461.xxx frequencies

Don't know. Last scanner I purchased, 12+ years ago, allowed input of custom search ranges. The only databases mine does are the ones I put in myself.
Old 12-12-2013, 8:42 PM

What's the rush? Something going to happen?

Radio Shack....no "apps" here
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2013, 8:48 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Without the Extreme upgrade, there is no Close Call, or frequency search on the HP. Get a cheap newer scanner, and you can search till the batteries die
Larry
Old 12-12-2013, 8:53 PM

So with the extreme I can do like older scanners and put upper and lower range in and scan?

Old 12-12-2013, 8:59 PM

Lol no I just told my wife I could probably pick her up and decided to drive out there before really knowing how to use this thing (bad idea). I am extreme Newby. Although I have talked many years on a radio not much experience just listening in unless I had my radio that was on that channel. Now that my friends I was good at. I could be waken up out of a dead sleep at 4 am on the midnight shift sleeping off a sugar high from a box a donuts with the smallest of sounds like "3A34" my ears perked up and I was ready to go. Lol

Old 12-12-2013, 9:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Lol no I just told my wife I could probably pick her up and decided to drive out there before really knowing how to use this thing (bad idea). I am extreme Newby. Although I have talked many years on a radio not much experience just listening in unless I had my radio that was on that channel. Now that my friends I was good at. I could be waken up out of a dead sleep at 4 am on the midnight shift sleeping off a sugar high from a box a donuts with the smallest of sounds like "3A34" my ears perked up and I was ready to go. Lol

I'm sure that somewhere in the database is the VHF/UHF business frequencies. Don't know. Never had to use it for anything else but P-25 trunk systems. I'm thinking about getting the upgrade just to look for different stuff out there. All of my other scanners allow me to do that search. I guess that's why they came out with the new 436/536. Can't see investing in the new ones when I have a scanner that does Phase II.
Larry
Old 12-12-2013, 9:39 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

The RadioReference database will only have the info that we the users submit. If no one has submitted the security company's info, it won't be in there.
The security company may also lease time on a repeater from a local company that actually holds the license. So searching the FCC database may not be of any help, either, if the security company itself doesn't hold the actual license.
Or, the security company could be owned by another company, and the license may be in that company's name, and not the security company's name.
The best way is to search the most likely frequency ranges until you find the right frequency. (And if they're using a repeater, make sure that you aren't trying to listen to the repeater input, since it won't have the range that you'd get from listening to the repeater output.)
Good luck.