Will the new BCD436HP include Fire Tone Out feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roveer

Am thinking about getting a new scanner and see that Uniden is coming out with 2 new models. Having learned that Uniden scanners are the only ones that have Fire Tone Out features I was wondering if their new models will include this feature? I ask because I've seen feature lists on the new models and have not seen it listed. Probably just an oversight but if they are dropping this feature I might pick up one of the current models at a good price when everyone wants to move to the newer models.

Roveer

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Yes, this feature is still included on both of the new models...

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Am thinking about getting a new scanner and see that Uniden is coming out with 2 new models. Having learned that Uniden scanners are the only ones that have Fire Tone Out features I was wondering if their new models will include this feature? I ask because I've seen feature lists on the new models and have not seen it listed. Probably just an oversight but if they are dropping this feature I might pick up one of the current models at a good price when everyone wants to move to the newer models.

Roveer

It's detailed on pages 75 - 78 of the owners manual.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I think there was a limit to 10 FTO memories, but that may have been increased to 30 now, if I recall correctly..

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand this tone out stuff.

also, and I may be wrong, but I think this is used for the FDs so that when the tones go off they recognize immediately whether it's for their district or not. I know it's more in depth than that but thats my 10,000 foot overview of how it works.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
I don't understand this tone out stuff.

A very brief summary:

Dispatch uses FTO to tone out specific departments and activate their pagers and sirens. Dispatch selects the departments that are getting a call, then sends the tones over the radio. The pagers listen for the exact pitches of the two tones and will only activate if those two exact pitches are detected. This makes it so that only the dept that is getting the call will be notified. The same thing would happen if you program the FTO model into a Uniden scanner. Nothing would come through the scanner until the tones for that particular agency come through. Then it will open up and listen to the details dispatch is giving for the call.

Hopefully that helps a little bit.

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
A very brief summary:

Dispatch uses FTO to tone out specific departments and activate their pagers and sirens. Dispatch selects the departments that are getting a call, then sends the tones over the radio. The pagers listen for the exact pitches of the two tones and will only activate if those two exact pitches are detected. This makes it so that only the dept that is getting the call will be notified. The same thing would happen if you program the FTO model into a Uniden scanner. Nothing would come through the scanner until the tones for that particular agency come through. Then it will open up and listen to the details dispatch is giving for the call.

Hopefully that helps a little bit.

based on your explanation, this would be beneficial to someone such as a volunteer fireman/woman, or if you wanted put your scanner on standby in FTO mode for your local FD so you would know if something was going on in your neighborhood or close by!
Thanks

Last edited:

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
based on your explanation, this would be beneficial to someone such as a volunteer fireman/woman, or if you wanted put your scanner on standby in FTO mode for your local FD so you would know if something was going on in your neighborhood or close by!
Thanks

Exactly. Most volunteer firefighters are issued a pager to do that but the FTO mode is great for people who are not in a dept but want to know what is going on without having to listen to everything else. Before I joined, I would leave my scanner scanning during the day and then at night I switched it to FTO so I would still hear if the local dept got a call. It's a neat feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.