RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 9:13 PM

Default Will the new BCD436HP include Fire Tone Out feature?

Am thinking about getting a new scanner and see that Uniden is coming out with 2 new models. Having learned that Uniden scanners are the only ones that have Fire Tone Out features I was wondering if their new models will include this feature? I ask because I've seen feature lists on the new models and have not seen it listed. Probably just an oversight but if they are dropping this feature I might pick up one of the current models at a good price when everyone wants to move to the newer models.

Roveer
Sponsored links

Old 12-23-2013, 9:25 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes, this feature is still included on both of the new models...

I only own REAL radios (i.e. Motorola, ICOM, Kenwood, Yaesu, and Uniden); I'll never have any cheap Chinese knockoffs! Yes, that means you Baofang, Wouxun, CSI...
Old 12-23-2013, 9:26 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roveer View Post
Am thinking about getting a new scanner and see that Uniden is coming out with 2 new models. Having learned that Uniden scanners are the only ones that have Fire Tone Out features I was wondering if their new models will include this feature? I ask because I've seen feature lists on the new models and have not seen it listed. Probably just an oversight but if they are dropping this feature I might pick up one of the current models at a good price when everyone wants to move to the newer models.

Roveer

It's detailed on pages 75 - 78 of the owners manual.

Old 12-24-2013, 8:59 AM

I think there was a limit to 10 FTO memories, but that may have been increased to 30 now, if I recall correctly..
Old 12-24-2013, 10:39 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I don't understand this tone out stuff.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmoon View Post
this may help:

Fire Tone Out - The RadioReference Wiki

Hardware:Tone Out - WPASCANNER
Old 12-24-2013, 11:10 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
also, and I may be wrong, but I think this is used for the FDs so that when the tones go off they recognize immediately whether it's for their district or not. I know it's more in depth than that but thats my 10,000 foot overview of how it works.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:42 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
A very brief summary:

Dispatch uses FTO to tone out specific departments and activate their pagers and sirens. Dispatch selects the departments that are getting a call, then sends the tones over the radio. The pagers listen for the exact pitches of the two tones and will only activate if those two exact pitches are detected. This makes it so that only the dept that is getting the call will be notified. The same thing would happen if you program the FTO model into a Uniden scanner. Nothing would come through the scanner until the tones for that particular agency come through. Then it will open up and listen to the details dispatch is giving for the call.

Hopefully that helps a little bit.
Old 12-24-2013, 3:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD2DLL View Post
A very brief summary:

Dispatch uses FTO to tone out specific departments and activate their pagers and sirens. Dispatch selects the departments that are getting a call, then sends the tones over the radio. The pagers listen for the exact pitches of the two tones and will only activate if those two exact pitches are detected. This makes it so that only the dept that is getting the call will be notified. The same thing would happen if you program the FTO model into a Uniden scanner. Nothing would come through the scanner until the tones for that particular agency come through. Then it will open up and listen to the details dispatch is giving for the call.

Hopefully that helps a little bit.
based on your explanation, this would be beneficial to someone such as a volunteer fireman/woman, or if you wanted put your scanner on standby in FTO mode for your local FD so you would know if something was going on in your neighborhood or close by!
Thanks

Last edited by scruggsy; 12-24-2013 at 3:24 PM.. Reason: add text
Sponsored links
Old 12-24-2013, 3:34 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruggsy View Post
based on your explanation, this would be beneficial to someone such as a volunteer fireman/woman, or if you wanted put your scanner on standby in FTO mode for your local FD so you would know if something was going on in your neighborhood or close by!
Thanks

Exactly. Most volunteer firefighters are issued a pager to do that but the FTO mode is great for people who are not in a dept but want to know what is going on without having to listen to everything else. Before I joined, I would leave my scanner scanning during the day and then at night I switched it to FTO so I would still hear if the local dept got a call. It's a neat feature.