New Uniden BCD396XT Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennc1013

Premium Subscriber
Got the new scanner for Christmas, went to Radio Reference to get the download, this is for California, which was not included , of course. Got all the way to transferring the data, for Contra Costa, Pittsburg and getting an error saying that there is no communication, I have the data cable into the computer and into the scanner, now what, I even tired it on my daughters also, really lost, paid way to much money not to get this up and running, didnt know it was going to be this hard, the analog is so much easier, please help.
Carol

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Last edited:

jennc1013

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much Kirk, I just called Uniden and told them that my computer was not recognizing the cable that came with the scanner and that was after I bought and adapter for it, as it was a 9 pin and my computer serial port is 15 pin, so the customer service person suggested that I buy a usb cable to connect to the computer. I will try the way you said and see if I can get this darn scanner up and working, I am not very tech savvy to say the least, but am willing to learn. Or I guess if all else fails see if I can find someone in my area who can help me out.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The 15-pin connector on your computer is for a monitor. It is not a serial port.

K8LEA

jennc1013:

Serial cables are usually 9 pin or 25 pin.... 15 pins usually is a VGA video port.... Printer cables were also 25 pin, if your PC actually has one.

Unless you're using a rather old PC, a USB to Serial adapter may be a good idea (Radio Shack used to have a good one), or you can scrounge Uniden's newer USB-only cable. SOME of these USB adapters are uni-directional. PC to device.... You need bi-directional.

(The 396 uses a serial setup to allow adapterless connection to some GPS units. It also dates from a time when one or two serial ports were common. They, like floppy disks and parallel printer ports, have more or less vanished.)

If you can't find a USB to Serial adapter (or that USB cable), holler, and I"ll find the RS number for their adapter. I don't have it on this machine.

Regards,

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
Thanks so much Kirk, I just called Uniden and told them that my computer was not recognizing the cable that came with the scanner and that was after I bought and adapter for it, as it was a 9 pin and my computer serial port is 15 pin, so the customer service person suggested that I buy a usb cable to connect to the computer. I will try the way you said and see if I can get this darn scanner up and working, I am not very tech savvy to say the least, but am willing to learn. Or I guess if all else fails see if I can find someone in my area who can help me out.

Carol..
Don't waste your money on the uniden USB cable. . Just pickup the RS232 adapter at radio shack or a computer store or flea market for about $5 then download the driver from the scannermaster web site like I added in above message its easy.. but it needs the scanner master driver instead of the one that comes with the adapter. .

BTW the RS232 adapter converts the 9 pin cable that came with the scanner to a USB cable to plug into your computer

Last edited:

jennc1013

Premium Subscriber
Kirk, Ok I went to Radio Shack and got the RS232 USB to serial cable hooked it all up and said that the driver was installing and that it is working now what? I went to proscan to download the county that I want, and nothing happens, dont laugh I told you that I am not tech woman, should I use a different site? I have about a week and half to go before I go back to work, as I am on winter vacation, hope it doesnt take that long to get this scanner up and functioning, and by the way why isnt California already installed on it?
Carol

jennc1013

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for letting me know about the adapter, didnt know what I was buying and it didnt cost much at frys about $4 so at least Im not out much, I just bought the whole cable and was a little more expensive but hey the scanner wasnt cheap either,even though my hubby got it for me for Christmas as I am the appointed ears for the town that I live in, everyone calls me to or texts to see what is happening around town anytime the helicopters are flying or their is a chase going on..lol

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Jennc1013:

It takes a little fussing in the beginning, but once you get your computer connected to your scanner, you'll be a happy camper.

They have just updated the WIKI article about connecting scanners via USB. Few computers these days have the correct port to accept the cable that came with your scanner.

You may wish to consider getting the Plugable USB to RS 232 from Amazon. The cost is $14.95 compared to about $29.99 for the USB-1 cable. If you use Windows 8, the USB-1 cable doesn't work very well (or at least I've been unable to do so - something about the chipset). I went the "Plugable" route about a year ago and it is smooth sailing. Amazon.com: Plugable USB to RS-232 DB9 Serial Adapter (Prolific PL2303HX Rev D Chipset): Computers & Accessories

kirk23

Kirk, Ok I went to Radio Shack and got the RS232 USB to serial cable hooked it all up and said that the driver was installing and that it is working now what? I went to proscan to download the county that I want, and nothing happens, dont laugh I told you that I am not tech woman, should I use a different site? I have about a week and half to go before I go back to work, as I am on winter vacation, hope it doesnt take that long to get this scanner up and functioning, and by the way why isnt California already installed on it?
Carol

Private message sent to you.....

kirk23

Carol...
i only know FREESCAN you can download it for free...and it works well

as for for proper driver for the adapter, go to....

Uniden USB Cable

and scroll down till you this this below..

Windows 7/XP Operating Systems
PL2303 Prolific Driver v1.7.0

click on the PL2303 Prolific driver to download the driver you need..

then after thats done set the proper Computer PORT in the FREESCAN settings and on both FREESCAN & in youur scanner make sure in your scanner settings set the SERIAL PORT rate to 115200 bps on both the scanner & in the freescan settings

Status
Not open for further replies.