Does the letters or number(s) in my BCT15X mean anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

I was wondering if the letters B-C-T or the X mean anything specific, is there a name attached to each letter?
I wonder about the number 15 and if that meant anything either?

If not, then how does Uniden come up with the names/model names for their scanners?

I would venture to guess that BCT mean BearCaT. As that is there scanners model line nickname. Other then that, I have no idea and of course, its just my guess..

Happy New Year

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
I think the BearCat works. The "T" would be Trunking. Something like BCD396T would be BearCat Digital 396 Trunking. The "X" was updated version of 396 etc. But then you get BC245XLT. It is a "BearCat" and Trunks but who knows why the "XL" went in there. Seems to have some significance but not consistent.

Blackink

I think the BearCat works. The "T" would be Trunking. Something like BCD396T would be BearCat Digital 396 Trunking. The "X" was updated version of 396 etc. But then you get BC245XLT. It is a "BearCat" and Trunks but who knows why the "XL" went in there. Seems to have some significance but not consistent.

I think you might be on to something there. There has to be a reason for the numbers to, I would think...
Thanks

RF23

Premium Subscriber
To me it looks like some pretty good guessing, however, I read somewhere that the "D" as in BCD396T stands for "Digital" and the numbers were to properly place each radio with their model group. So all of the "T" trunking and "D" digital radios had increasing numbers for the performance (cost). However, the BCD996T and the BCD396T I think cost about the same.

I guess only UpMan will know.

Blackink

Now that there's been some responses here, I would agree the BC is for Bearcat. I see ScannerMaster has 15 Uniden scanners listed there and they all have the BC at the front of their name, except for the Home Patrol (HP) and one that is labeled a "BR330T"-they kept me guessing when I saw that!!!

I would also agree the "D" is probably for Digital as in the :BCD396XT, BCD996XT, etc...

But I'm still curious about the numbers and how they came about numbering the scanners the way they did.

I'm probably just looking too damned deep into all of this.
It probably could have something to do with the engineers initials that designed them for all I know!!

Thanks for all the help in this matter though.

Maybe UPMan can enlighten us all as to how they come up with labeling their scanners.

dmg1969

That works except for mine...the BC125AT. It is a BearCat (BC). The (A) I'm sure means a Analog. But what about the (T)? It is definitely not a Trunking scanner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vwnut13

Yea, right. And what about the number 125...What's that for?!?

BC125AT
Bear_Cat_125_Alpha_Tagging

Here is the (recent) history of BC models.

BC72XLT - 100 Channels, Not PC Programmable
BC75XLT - 300 Channels, PC Programmable
BC92XLT - 200 Channels, Not PC Programmable, 800MHz
BC95XLT - 200 Channels, PC Programmable, 800MHz
BC125AT - 500 Channels, PC Programmable, Alpha Tagging

The 72, 92, and 95 all came out in the early 2000s (I think...) and the 75, and 125 came out in 2012.

At first it seems odd that the 75 would come out so long after the 95, but the numbering seems somewhat logical. 7 is for non 800MHZ, 9 is for 800MHZ. The 2 is for Non-Programmable, and the 5 is for PC Programmable. (Well, that seems to be the pattern at least.)

It isn't quite as easy to guess what the numbers mean on the 125, because its the only model BC model with a three digit number. I would assume that the 5 still means that it is PC Programmable.

The 75 features are very similar to that of the 72, 92, and 95, while the 125 is very different.

And as far as what the the XLT means, no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.