RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 12:16 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Service Search

Playing with a feature that I've never used before - Service Search on the 996XT. The "Easy to Read Manual" describes how to start a service search. Works fine.

What I can't figure out is how to STOP a service search once it's started.

I DO NOT have the search assigned to any particular key. I started it via the menu.

Any ideas?
Dan
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2014, 12:21 AM
Mid-MI DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

See http://forums.radioreference.com/uni...ce-search.html
Old 01-10-2014, 2:50 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The L/O is what I ended up doing, but you'd think there would be a more direct way.

Thanks for your help!

Dan
Old 01-10-2014, 1:37 PM

Not sure what you mean by your question. If you just want to stop the service search on a frequency then just push the hold button.

I had a problem where the service search kept coming on every time I turned on the scanner. I found out you have to push L/O twice to stop it from going into service search. Not sure If that helps but I had the problem that I did not know to push L/O twice to turn it off. Pushing it once is only temporary.
Old 01-10-2014, 3:14 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That's about it. You can start the scan, but you can't stop it. You have to lock it out. One would think that you would use the same procedure to stop it that you use to start it; simply toggle it on and off like a normal scan. But that's apparently not the case. Once you start a service scan, the only way to stop it is to lock it out.
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2014, 4:35 PM

Yea WA3ATV. I found the very same problem. To me it no longer matters as I simply do not use service search. I never turn it on anyways. Only time I did was to test it out. I find I just use the custom search feature if anything. I prefer to just set the band limits myself. I find it easier. I really do not do a whole heck of a lot of searching anyways. Normally I just use the radio to monitor some trunked systems which obviously my other radios will not. But yea I agree it is silly the way you have to turn it off.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:53 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

On new scanners, service/custom searches are treated just like scanned systems. To enable/disable them, you assign them to a quick key and use the key. To lock them out (if not assigned to a QK), you press F+L/O, L/O while on the search.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:13 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Using one of the software programs, you can assign Quick Keys to Service Searches and Custom Searches in the 996XT. There isn't an option in the scanner menu but the software will allow it to be programmed.

chris
Old 01-11-2014, 11:58 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg View Post
Using one of the software programs, you can assign Quick Keys to Service Searches and Custom Searches in the 996XT. There isn't an option in the scanner menu but the software will allow it to be programmed.

chris
The option in the menu on the scanner is, menu, search for, edit service (or custom), one of the search groups, search with scan, then set a quick key.
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2014, 11:12 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the info