RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveIN View Post
That sounds like a patch display. Can you post a camera shot (or video) of the display with what your seeing?
You may have been correct after all -- the radio possible not reporting the correct info (sounds like you were thinking that the two IDs would reflect what is patched to what)

http://forums.radioreference.com/mar...ml#post2124279
Sponsored links

Old 02-05-2014, 4:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravada View Post
I have spent some time with this and now determined the following. If I HOLD on only the Channel, it will indeed hold (and not scan) but seems to record multiple channels. I now am finding if I HOLD on all of SYSTEM-DEPT-CHANNEL (which does the same as previous and not scan) but seems to now record properly on that channel only. It does work but operates somewhat different to the HP-1. I guess as a Uniden guy who has owned virtually every scanner they've ever made for the last 25 years that I still have a lot to learn. Sorry to scare everyone on this feature but be aware that you need to HOLD on all three if you want to record a dedicated channel/talkgroup.
Thanks for bringing this up as it is something that the members of RR may be able to look into since it could be important to see what is going on.

When my local PD dispatcher transmitted I pushed the "CHAN" button once and "HOLD" appeared in the lower right corner of the channel bar on the 436HP display.

The hierarchy is as follows:
FL #1 is composed of 9 Systems and I am locked into System #2, Department #1 of 6 with 8 channels but I am locked onto only ONE channel of the 8 channels present. All 6 Departments and Channels are conventional non-trunked.

I put the 436HP into REC mode and waited until I heard several broadcasts from the PD channel I was locked-on & recording from and I waited for several broadcasts to be heard from my HP-1 on some of the other 7 channels in this same department.

When I played back the recording all I got was the one PD channel I was locked on. However, this was a 436 not a 536, all conventional channels (another system may act differently) and I have not yet checked trunked conventional or digital of different kinds, much less a mixed mode trunked system.

Therefore, this is very preliminary and more systems need to be checked out not to mention are both x36HP radios involved or maybe just some radios with a problem of some kind.
Old 02-05-2014, 4:15 PM

Default Owners Manual Versions

The printed Owner's Manual that came with my unit (rec'd yesterday) has the same code on the front cover (U01UB375ZZA(0)) as the latest pdf version (file name "436_536_OM_20140130"). Does that mean they're the same text/info, or does the date on the pdf being much later than the manual could have been printed imply they're different? If they're different, is there a "changes" file somewhere to download and use to mark up the paper copy?

Ron
Old 02-05-2014, 4:23 PM

Any chance the QK ON/OFF display could tell you the label/description of what you just turned on or off vs. the values you pressed? I think that could be much more helpful if you have many, many systems, departments, and/or sites QK configured and are without a cheat sheet (or really good memory)
Old 02-05-2014, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
Any chance the QK ON/OFF display could tell you the label/description of what you just turned on or off vs. the values you pressed? I think that could be much more helpful if you have many, many systems, departments, and/or sites QK configured and are without a cheat sheet (or really good memory)
I second that idea. Would be real nice to know what you turned off or on on the QK Navigation screen.

I'd also like to see the SERV button display react so that you will only see those services which are ON and OFF in your loaded FLs not the entire list with --- occupying the space where nothing exists. Maybe push the available services to the top of the list even?
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2014, 7:06 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
I just add "SQK #" and "DQK #" to my alphatag labels. Makes life so much easier.
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR
Old 02-05-2014, 7:23 PM

When I attempt to run the wifi firmware updater I am being prompted to select a "Serial Port". The options are Com3, Com4, and Com8. When I proceed with any of them I get the following error:

"unhandled excepion has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quick, the application will close immediately.

The given port name does not start with Com/com or does not resolve a valid serial port. Parameter name: portName"

I followed the instructions in the wiki to the T. I am running Windows Vista 64-bit SP 2 and used the 64 bit installer. I had no issues until the last step. Any thoughts?
Old 02-05-2014, 7:25 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by t13one12 View Post
When I attempt to run the wifi firmware updater I am being prompted to select a "Serial Port". The options are Com3, Com4, and Com8. When I proceed with any of them I get the following error:

"unhandled excepion has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quick, the application will close immediately.

The given port name does not start with Com/com or does not resolve a valid serial port. Parameter name: portName"

I followed the instructions in the wiki to the T. I am running Windows Vista 64-bit SP 2 and used the 64 bit installer. I had no issues until the last step. Any thoughts?
Asked and answered a large number of times, it should really be in the wiki. You need to run it in compatibility mode (XP SP3) and run as administrator.
Old 02-05-2014, 7:32 PM

Thanks for reply and sorry for repost. I was trying to work off Upman's original post and his wiki never updated.
Sponsored links

Old 02-05-2014, 7:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by t13one12 View Post
Thanks for reply and sorry for repost. I was trying to work off Upman's original post and his wiki never updated.
No biggie, I meant the info about compatibility mode should be added to the wiki, it's a required step to get it to work. I'm sure you won't be the last to ask
Old 02-05-2014, 7:42 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hello,

I used the Conventional Discovery feature of the 536HP and like the new autostore feature. It creates a favorites list called Conventional Discovery. The discovery name is stored as the system name and the run name is stored as the department. It even sets the tone in the channel information.

73 Eric
Old 02-05-2014, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravada View Post
With the HP-1 Home Patrol I could "hold" on a specific talkgroup or channel and record. It would only record traffic on that talkgroup or channel and would do so until I stopped recording. With the 536 even when holding on one channel, I seem to get recordings from all the other talkgroups. The manual goes into very little detail on this one. Anyone?
This is happening to my 536 as well. When I attempt to listen to a recent recording it replays as if it were spliced with other recordings...causing what I wanted to hear to be I audible use to the layered transmissions.
Old 02-05-2014, 8:35 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I think UP Man already answered this one...
Old 02-05-2014, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
That display indicates a patch in progress. The 2nd number will change depending on the current party.
Why can't it do that for P25 systems (9600 bps control channel), too? On a busy multi-agency system, it can be tough to figure out what talkgroup you need to monitor to hear your desired traffic when it's involved in a patch.

The newer GRE/RS scanners follow patches on both Motorola and Harris P25 systems just fine.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE4ZNR View Post
I just add "SQK #" and "DQK #" to my alphatag labels. Makes life so much easier.
Marshall KE4ZNR
I agree, I have done just that for the DQK's anyway. I think Uniden goofed when they didn't include some kind of visual cue of what DQK is active in the display like they have with the FLQ and the SLQ. For that matter, the number of the DQK could/should? display at the beginning of the Department field and eliminate the need to alpha tag to include the number.
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2014, 11:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I agree that having a visual indicator for Department Quick Keys would be helpful. I'd rather see that where the date information, LMK/P25/ATT is.
Old 02-06-2014, 1:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Smile Uniden BCD536HP Quick Keys / Deparments

I'm lost. Just received the new Uniden BCD536HP... Wow.. Uniden really did a fantastic job on this scanner.
I have been using the 996 and 336 for sometime, so I'm use to the quick key systems of System and Groups. In a trucked system I have the sites active, the system programmed with a quick key, and all the different agencies of that system with quick keys. 0,1,2,3 Ect... System QK 1 on then the group, or now refereed to as Dept keys on for the departments with in that system I would like to hear... All good, no issues. So, now the new 536HP QK system. I have the Favorites programed, with there QK, and the sites with a QK, and in the departments with in the site with there own QK's. I did this all with the Sentinel software. Loaded in the scanner, no issues. Fav QK work great, System Qk work great.....

Here is the BIG question??? If I want to listen to a system with multiple agencies with in that system, how do I use the quick keys to toggle on and off the dept with in that system. Am i forced to listen to every dept in the system, and if so, why is the ability to give the departments quick keys?? Do I have to use the avoid function to accomplish this now???

I have noticed in scan, if i push the Func key, the SO changes to, DO, and shows the department QK's but I cant find a way to toggle them????

I have watched every video, know one has addresses this yet... I'm I missing something. Also know one has demonstrated how to select the departments using the QK's????

Please help...
Thanks..
Old 02-06-2014, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usia View Post
I have noticed in scan, if i push the Func key, the SO changes to, DO, and shows the department QK's but I cant find a way to toggle them????
Ah thank you for that. I never noticed that you could toggle SQK and DQK with the FUNC key. That is the solution I was looking for (sort of). Still think it would be nice if it displayed on the screen as a default.

To toggle the DQKs you would (in the same system) hit ..DSQ#
That would be .no .no followed by the number of the DSQ. If you are not in the same system/FL, you would need to type out the whole path. i.e 1.5.55
for DQK 55 in FL 1 System 5.
Old 02-06-2014, 7:07 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Take a look at this Quick Keys video by Wise871:Sentinel Quick Keys - YouTube

Also this one from K4DPS:Uniden BCD536HP Quick Keys Revisited
MARC ID:3126326

Last edited by DaveIN; 02-06-2014 at 7:19 AM..
Old 02-06-2014, 7:31 AM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyC View Post
I agree, I have done just that for the DQK's anyway. I think Uniden goofed when they didn't include some kind of visual cue of what DQK is active in the display like they have with the FLQ and the SLQ. For that matter, the number of the DQK could/should? display at the beginning of the Department field and eliminate the need to alpha tag to include the number.
Actually you can press the "FUNC" key while scanning and see the DQKs:
Uniden DQKs - YouTube
The display in the upper left corner changes from FLQK "F" and SQK "S" to "D" for Dept Quick Keys.
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR