BCD536HP Post-Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
ATTENTION ALL:

To help the participants in this thread please restrict your post to your experiences with the scanner. This is not the place to complain; you're more than welcome to but please voice that in your own thread. If you need help with how to use the scanner this is not the thread for you. You will get the best help by starting your own thread.

We will at our discretion delete your post without warning if you do not heed our requests. We thank you for your cooperation and I'm sure the lurkers will too. I hate to have to make these types of posts but the past threads have shown they're needed.

wise871

Database Admin
I'll be the first to report an experience I discovered. You now have the ability to turn individual national database systems on and off. With the HP-1 you could only turn on/off the entire systems and avoid what you didn't want to monitor. Now in the 536 you can Select Nationwide Systems and turn them on and off individually. Example in the menu you now have Air Show - USA, Amateur Radio - USA, American Red Cross-USA, etc. This option is not in the Sentinel Software that I have found.

rgore

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'll be the first to report an experience I discovered. You now have the ability to turn individual national database systems on and off. With the HP-1 you could only turn on/off the entire systems and avoid what you didn't want to monitor. Now in the 536 you can Select Nationwide Systems and turn them on and off individually. Example in the menu you now have Air Show - USA, Amateur Radio - USA, American Red Cross-USA, etc. This option is not in the Sentinel Software that I have found.

You sure the HP-1 doesn't have this feature? If I go from the "Main Menu" in my HP to "Advanced Menu" then "Select Nationwide Systems" I get the same options to turn "Air Show - USA" on or off..

OUT.

wise871

Database Admin
You sure the HP-1 doesn't have this feature? If I go from the "Main Menu" in my HP to "Advanced Menu" then "Select Nationwide Systems" I get the same options to turn "Air Show - USA" on or off..

OUT.

I stand corrected. I never saw that on my HP-1. Thanks for point that out.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Did I miss something? Here are the instructions for the WiFi dongle:

============
1. Download Wi-Fi-Updater.zip.
2. Unzip the files downloaded in Step 1. Then, unzip the files in STM_VCP.zip.
3. Navigate to the STM_VCP directory and run either VCP_V1.3.1_Setup.exe or VCP_V1.3.1_Setup_x64.exe depending on whether you are running a 32-bit or 64-bit OS.
4. Plug the Wi-Fi dongle directly into a USB port on your PC and allow it to install.
5. Unzip the files in FWUpdate_WriteData_UartDisable_ver.5.1.zip.
6. Navigate to the FWUpdate_WriteData_UartDisable_ver.5.1 directory, then run Setup.exe to install the updater.
7. Run the program you installed in Step 6 by navigating to the Uniden --> BCDx36HP --> BC_Wifi_Updater application launcher in your programs list.
8. When prompted, point the updater to the FWUpdate_WriteData_UartDisable_ver.5.1.bin file part of what you unzipped in Step 2.
============

When I unzipped "Wi-Fi-Updater.zip", it contained "STM_VCP.zip" as described in the instructions. But I can't do step 5, because the only other two files in the main zip file are:

FWUpdate_WriteData_UartDisable_ver.5.1.bin [NOT .zip]
and
BC-WF1_FirmwareUpdater_Version0.00.03.zip [not mentioned in the instructions]

The "BC-WF1... zip" file does have a "setup.exe" in it. Are we supposed to unzip that file, then in step 8, point the program at the .bin file that was in the main "Wi-Fi-Updater.zip" file? I.e., should steps 5 & 6 refer to "BC-WF1_FirmwareUpdater_Version0.00.03.zip" instead?

Thanks.

...R

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
The 536 manual contains this warning:

WARNING! If you connect an external speaker to the scanner’s Ext. SP jack or headphone
jack, never connect the audio output line to a power supply and ground. This might
also damage the scanner.
BCD536HP Only - All audio output is Class-D amplified (PWM). Never connect Ext. SP
jack or headphone jack to an external Class-D AMP.

I'm not sure why anyone would ever "connect the audio output line to a power supply." Is it safe to connect the 536 to any external audio amplifier? 0.8W isn't much. I was thinking of connecting mine to an amplified speaker and be able to switch it over to the Radio input on a PA/Siren box for routing to a grill speaker.

Thanks!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

============
3. Navigate to the STM_VCP directory and run either VCP_V1.3.1_Setup.exe or VCP_V1.3.1_Setup_x64.exe depending on whether you are running a 32-bit or 64-bit OS.
4. Plug the Wi-Fi dongle directly into a USB port on your PC and allow it to install.
6. Navigate to the FWUpdate_WriteData_UartDisable_ver.5.1 directory, then run Setup.exe to install the updater.
7. Run the program you installed in Step 6 by navigating to the Uniden --> BCDx36HP --> BC_Wifi_Updater application launcher in your programs list.
8. When prompted, point the updater to the FWUpdate_WriteData_UartDisable_ver.5.1.bin file part of what you unzipped in Step 2.
============

When I unzipped "Wi-Fi-Updater.zip", it contained "STM_VCP.zip" as described in the instructions. But I can't do step 5, because the only other two files in the main zip file are:

and

The "BC-WF1... zip" file does have a "setup.exe" in it. Are we supposed to unzip that file, then in step 8, point the program at the .bin file that was in the main "Wi-Fi-Updater.zip" file? I.e., should steps 5 & 6 refer to "BC-WF1_FirmwareUpdater_Version0.00.03.zip" instead?

Thanks.

...R

Yep, I noticed that too. The instructions do not correspond to the folder/file structure of the download.

trunker

============
============

and

Thanks.

...R

It should say:
5. Unzip the files in BC-WF1_FirmwareUpdater_Version0.00.03.zip
6. Navigate to BC-WF1_FirmwareUpdater_Version0.00.03.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I corrected it (had changed some things mid-stream to make it easier and missed changing the file name/structure).

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Not sure if this is true or not but I think you have to pay state tax on all items on Amazon now. That would be about 50 bucks extra in taxes I think. Correct me if I am wrong

dmaria

Not sure if this is true or not but I think you have to pay state tax on all items on Amazon now. That would be about 50 bucks extra in taxes I think. Correct me if I am wrong

Some may have to, but not all....

wfrancis16

I just tried adding it to my cart and they did not add any sales tax. I wish I could afford to buy it

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

kd7eir

It all depends on the warehouse that the item ships from. If I order something that ships from an Arizona warehouse I am charged state taxes on it. If it ships from an out of state warehouse I am not charged any state sales tax.

Sent from my fertile imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.