RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 11:30 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Did you happen to catch that on a storage scope?
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2014, 11:36 AM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Are the only vehicles that are having this problem diesel? Just for the fun of it I wired up my other vehicle, 2009 Impala and everything works fine.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:41 AM

Default BCD536HP Mobile Install Issues

It is more the voltage swing as the recent poster observed than it is the type of vehicle. To having voltage stability a swing from 5 to 18VDC is hard on any device that doesn't have well designed voltage regulating circuits. We use ChargeGuards on just about every mobile install that has a full console and put DC filtering on all diesels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2014, 4:27 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Is this also affecting analog audio? How about key beeps?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default BCD536HP Mobile Install Issues

Sorry upman, I don't have a storage scope. I keep blowing my toy money on new scanners.

I'll try to get time to test analog audio and double check key beeps Tuesday in the F550 post engine start.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:52 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Yes UpMan, all audio including button pushes. We pulled 4 536's out and put the original 996's back in today for one customer b/c they could not function with this issue going on. Gas and diesel vehicles, 1and 2 batteries.
Old 01-28-2014, 9:48 AM

So far, most of the comments seem centered on turning on the scanner and starting the vehicle. What about shut down? I'm no going to switch off the radio every time the power supply is about to go away... and sooner or later, the power will go away unexpectedly (and a sequencer won't help there).

The XT may forget the last few mode changes you've given it, but it wakes right up and resumes operating after a drop-out. I can put all my gadgets on an isolated power source with a master switch, easy to use and protected from transients, but having to use the knob every time is a non-starter (pardon the pun).
Old 01-28-2014, 10:08 AM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashP View Post
So far, most of the comments seem centered on turning on the scanner and starting the vehicle. What about shut down? I'm no going to switch off the radio every time the power supply is about to go away... and sooner or later, the power will go away unexpectedly (and a sequencer won't help there).

The XT may forget the last few mode changes you've given it, but it wakes right up and resumes operating after a drop-out. I can put all my gadgets on an isolated power source with a master switch, easy to use and protected from transients, but having to use the knob every time is a non-starter (pardon the pun).
Depends on how you have it wired. I have mine tapped to a constant 12vdc source. Even if my car power goes off after a few minutes, like your radio or dome lights, my radio stays on until I turn it off. If I have to go to a store I will leave my radio on with volume low. I very seldom turn it off until I get to my final destination or I know I'm going to be away from my vehicle for an extended period of time.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:16 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdcomm View Post
BCD536 audio issues-2 - YouTube

I think the point is being missed here. We install 1,000's of radios per year in wreckers. NONE of the other radios / scanners have ever had this issue, including the BCD996XT. These wreckers sit in wait, listening to these receivers, most of the time with their engines off to conserve fuel. When they start their wreckers, the scanners loose audio. And as you can see, after having to turn off, then back on, all of your settings are gone. There is no way they will be able to re-manipulate all of theBCD536's driving down the road going to the call so they can continue listening.
I heard you loud and clear, and so did a few others but unfortunately it seems the majority of posters on this thread have amazingly missed the very critical key points you have pointed out.

Everyone please READ HIS POSTS CAREFULLY.
Sponsored links

Old 01-28-2014, 12:19 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIScanner101 View Post
I heard you loud and clear, and so did a few others but unfortunately it seems the majority of posters on this thread have amazingly missed the very critical key points you have pointed.

It might be you who needs to read carefully.

His problem is being caused by a voltage drop which apparently affects 536s more than it does 996s.

It would appear the 536 is not the right radio for his "1000s of installations", if he's not willing to address the voltage issue properly.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I heard you loud and clear, and so did a few others but unfortunately it seems the majority of posters on this thread have amazingly missed the very critical key points you have pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
It might be you who needs to read carefully.

His problem is being caused by a voltage drop which apparently affects 536s more than it does 996s.

It would appear the 536 is not the right radio for his "1000s of installations", if he's not willing to address the voltage issue properly.
Ditto. Several suggestions have been made on how he should adjust his install practices, adding a component or two which would prevent the voltage drop and eliminate the problem... Sounds like this has been solved, to me.
Old 01-28-2014, 1:35 PM

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.
Default They didn't have Wookies in mind when they designed 'er Chewie.

It sounds to me like the 536 just wasn't intended to be used this way. Prior to this model, it wasn't a big deal if a scanner lost power briefly - it would just boot back up and resume scanning once power was restored. But these scanners are more computer than scanner and as such they need to write data to the SD card when they shut down, just like your computer does these days - you can't just flip a switch and cut the power to your computer unless you want it to get corrupted and stop working after enough times of doing that.

The only viable solution I can think of would be a separate power source for the scanners, along with some kind of charging circuit so that when the truck is running the alternator recharges that battery along with the main battery for the engine. That way the drivers can simply turn on all their scanners at the beginning of their shift, leave them on throughout the day, and then shut them all down when they park the truck at the end of their shift. Turning the truck on or off won't affect a thing that way as the scanners would be on their own isolated power source. Your clients will need to spend a bit more money but the much improved simulcast benefits (less missed calls = more revenue) will hopefully offset the initial cost of the additional battery and dedicated charging circuit. I know you've said you've installed thousands of scanners in the past, but this scanner is a whole different animal. I think you should count yourself lucky that all that happens is that the scanners lose audio - dropping the power to them so suddenly like that could have corrupted them completely which would have required re-initializing new SD cards and reprogramming the scanners (or worse, a trip to Uniden for repair).

-AZ
Old 01-28-2014, 1:42 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

And, now you didn't read MY post.

My comment was directed toward those who kept offering unworkable solutions - such as shutting off all the scanners in the tow trucks before shutting off the truck. cdcomm said several times that wasn't going to fly and yet people kept offering it. I agree that modifying the actual INSTALL may be the only solution here.
Old 01-28-2014, 2:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
And, now you didn't read MY post.

My comment was directed toward those who kept offering unworkable solutions - such as shutting off all the scanners in the tow trucks before shutting off the truck. cdcomm said several times that wasn't going to fly and yet people kept offering it. I agree that modifying the actual INSTALL may be the only solution here.
I agree. And I think this thread will be good for those wishing to install it mobile to read - they need to make sure they install it correctly so the voltage doesn't drop. In the end we benefit from this thread...even if some of the solutions weren't really solutions...
Old 01-28-2014, 4:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm anxiously waiting to hear what actually DOES fix the problem.
I'm sure others are wondering what will be the permanent fix for the OP's problem.
Sponsored links
Old 01-28-2014, 5:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackink View Post
I'm anxiously waiting to hear what actually DOES fix the problem.
I'm sure others are wondering what will be the permanent fix for the OP's problem.
Installing it properly so the voltage doesn't drop, meaning it continues to operate instead of loses voltage...
Old 01-28-2014, 5:04 PM

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03msc View Post
Installing it properly so the voltage doesn't drop, meaning it continues to operate instead of loses voltage...
Yep. This. No other way around it. Would you connect your computer to a lightswitch? Of course not. Yet that is what is being done with these scanners, in essence. Again, I think the OP should feel lucky that no permanent damage was done to the scanners. That could have been a very costly lesson to learn.

-AZ
Old 01-28-2014, 5:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03msc View Post
Properly? Meaning a separate isolated battery that isn't pulled down by starting? This isn't an example of proper, it's a vehicle modification which shouldn't be required to install a scanner.

My diesel truck with dual 1000CCA amp batteries will drop to 8v when starting cold, measured at the batteries. Your "proper" install would mean a separate small battery diode isolated from backfeed to the main starting batteries.

My bet is Paul and his group will find a method to either fix this, or detect it and simply reboot the scanner.
TH-72A, Icom T7H, RS Pro 83, Uniden Washington
Old 01-28-2014, 5:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdiesel1 View Post
Properly? Meaning a separate isolated battery that isn't pulled down by starting? This isn't an example of proper, it's a vehicle modification which shouldn't be required to install a scanner.

My diesel truck with dual 1000CCA amp batteries will drop to 8v when starting cold, measured at the batteries. Your "proper" install would mean a separate small battery diode isolated from backfeed to the main starting batteries.

My bet is Paul and his group will find a method to either fix this, or detect it and simply reboot the scanner.
Yes, it was pointed out a few times in this thread what should've been put in place when they were installed which would've prevented the issue. I would suspect if he would do what was suggested the problem would disappear.

I may be alone in this but I do not think this is a "problem" to blame on Uniden.
Old 01-28-2014, 5:21 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post
Would you connect your computer to a lightswitch?
Uniden 100% knew many thousands of these radios would be installed in vehicles. If they are not capable of surviving a power "off" situation they should have be been designed with an always hot wire and an ignition wire, that way they could self power off gracefully when the vehicle is parked.
TH-72A, Icom T7H, RS Pro 83, Uniden Washington