RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 5:24 PM

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03msc View Post

I may be alone in this but I do not think this is a "problem" to blame on Uniden.
You're not alone. I see it as installing a computer rather than a scanner because this radio is a lot more like a computer than it's predecessors. You have to factor that into account with any install of this radio, including setting it up on a desk at home. Would it be a good idea to connect this radio up to a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) or battery backup of some kind so that it can be shut down properly in the event of a power loss? I think it would. This isn't a $50 DVD player we're talking about, this is a $500 radio. It makes sense to take some basic precautions to ensure it doesn't become a $500 paperweight.

-AZ
Sponsored links
Old 01-28-2014, 5:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post
It makes sense to take some basic precautions to ensure it doesn't become a $500 paperweight.
I think likely the worst that would happen is a corrupt flash disk.

Note, in an attempt to recreate this mobile issue (logging with a powerful scope) I was unable to "make it happen" by jacking with the voltage on my power supply. I bounced it around enough that I caused the 536 to reboot probably 50+ times, each time it came back and functioned normally.
TH-72A, Icom T7H, RS Pro 83, Uniden Washington
Old 01-28-2014, 5:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'd would hope in the future that new scanners released from Uniden will go through some type of simulated test for just such a problem as this.

Quote:
Yes, it was pointed out a few times in this thread what should've been put in place when they were installed which would've prevented the issue. I would suspect if he would do what was suggested the problem would disappear.
As far as what's been suggested for a fix, I've heard numerous suggestions mentioned here but once the OP has tried one (of the many mentioned here) and he gets the problem fixed, I'd like to hear what exactly he did to correct the problem.
Old 01-28-2014, 5:50 PM

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdiesel1 View Post
I think likely the worst that would happen is a corrupt flash disk.

Note, in an attempt to recreate this mobile issue (logging with a powerful scope) I was unable to "make it happen" by jacking with the voltage on my power supply. I bounced it around enough that I caused the 536 to reboot probably 50+ times, each time it came back and functioned normally.
Probably, but I've always tried to follow my dad's advice of "hope for the best, prepare for the worst". In this case the worst case scenario (however unlikely) is a fried/dead scanner. That's why I won't be recharging my batteries IN my new 436HP, even though the scanner was designed to charge the batteries and it would probably be able to do that 1000's of times without a problem, I'm not taking the chance because for me $500 is too much money to have to spend twice. Now, imagine having to replace 5 $600 scanners - again, it's pretty unlikely but why take the risk? If I were installing bunches of these radios for folks I'd have used a separate battery to power 'em even if this problem didn't exist. That way someone wouldn't come out to the truck the next day to a dead battery because some yutz left the scanners on all night.

-AZ
Old 01-28-2014, 6:01 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

In testing, we checked on over 20 vehicles of various vintages w/o seeing this issue. That said, we should be able to address this with a firmware update.
Sponsored links
Old 01-28-2014, 6:14 PM

My vehicle's two 536 radios are wired directly for continuous power. I have not been able to replicate the described problem - even when booting or shutting down the radios as the vehicle motor is being started or turned off.
Old 01-28-2014, 6:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I stand corrected then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
In testing, we checked on over 20 vehicles of various vintages w/o seeing this issue. That said, we should be able to address this with a firmware update.
My quote from an earlier post:
Quote:
I'd would hope in the future that new scanners released from Uniden will go through some type of simulated test for just such a problem as this.
Old 01-28-2014, 7:41 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdiesel1 View Post
Uniden 100% knew many thousands of these radios would be installed in vehicles. If they are not capable of surviving a power "off" situation they should have be been designed with an always hot wire and an ignition wire, that way they could self power off gracefully when the vehicle is parked.
It is impossible to disagree with this impeccable logic.
Old 01-28-2014, 7:55 PM

Default BCD536HP Mobile Install Issues

I received my BCD536HP yesterday and have used it at home and in the car without any issues. It seems rugged enough to withstand vehicle mounting and very pleased they included all the necessary power adapters. Once the ios app is out this may help my situation. Thanks again UPMan!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Sponsored links

Old 02-01-2014, 12:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I preformed a test using one BCD536HP tuned to a broadcasting weather station. Connected the radio to a bench power supply and tested the voltage limits.

Minimum start up voltage was 10.2V with a minimum running voltage of 9 volts.
At 8.9 volts the unit shuts off.

In every test case the radio booted normally as if you turned the power knob and sound came on through the internal speaker.

Further tested by;

Preformed three more tests by momentarily dropping the voltage to 8.9V anywhere from a quarter second to two seconds. In each case the radio power cycled normally.

Also performed the same test above but only down to 10V and the radio stayed powered on and continued running normally.
Old 02-01-2014, 8:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

+1 for the Havis ChargeGuard, that's what I use. In other deparments, they use this to protect their MDTs: DC UPS: StartGuard
Old 02-05-2014, 9:18 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

cmdcom: Haven't seen anything indicating whether you've discovered a "fix" to the issue. My curiosity is getting the best of me: any lucK?
Old 02-05-2014, 9:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I too am curious as to whether the problem has been fixed or not.

If your problem has indeed been fixed.....what was the remedy?
Old 02-05-2014, 9:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It would be interesting to slap a 'scope across the Vcc and ground and see what happens to this guy's power when turning the truck on.
Old 02-06-2014, 9:18 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

http://forums.radioreference.com/uni...ml#post2116688
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2014, 12:07 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Paul, the link you posted above points straight back at this thread......
Old 02-06-2014, 12:17 PM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It points to the post where I said it would be fixed by a firmware update.
Old 02-06-2014, 4:50 PM

Although there may be a future firmware solution, this appears to be a pretty clear case of a low Voltage drop out that causes something in the system logic to go stupid?

Given the cost of the radios, the number of radios and how much the radios are replied upon, I personally would probably come up with a solution for the problem.

My initial shoot from the hip, did not think on it for long approach would be to use a simple series diode large enough to handle the entire radio load (with at least a 25% safety factor or more) and use a 7 AH 12 Volt gel cell battery on the radio side of the diode to provide a short term stable power source.

Yes the diode will have 0.6 Volt drop across the junction, however, I do not expect this to be a problem even with the charging system not running, but who knows, you may have to try and see if the diode junction Voltage drop is a problem.

If you cannot find a single diode with enough current capacity, you could put multiple diodes in parallel.

So for about $20 in parts you should be able to test this theory and at least maybe get some of these systems on the road and even with a future firmware solution this may not be a bad way to set up these trunks?

6A, 50V Rectifier Diodes (4-Pack) : Diodes | RadioShack.com

Only issue that would need to be worked out is how to turn off radios when truck is shut down for extended periods. Could be a simple master switch after the gel cell battery? Could be a time delayed relay? If the trucks have keyless entry or electronic door locks, could be tied into the door lock system. This might be good as the radios could possibly start up once the doors are unlocked?

If the radios are turned off manually, then this may be a non issue?

Last edited by JamesO; 02-06-2014 at 5:16 PM..
Old 02-11-2014, 10:44 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool No resolution yet

We have installed about 50 of these so far and have custom programmed all of them with only 1 talk group and 1 control channel to work with the issue.
Old 02-12-2014, 5:49 AM
Uniden Representative
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I sent you a PM last week regarding this issue. Did you receive it?