RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 4:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2GLD View Post
Funny, in that same section, did anyone else notice the typo from Uniden under the "Opening Message"

These scanners are apparently now "Uniden Barecat" models; it use to be "BEARCAT" didn't it?

Doesn't anybody proof read anymore?
As they say... "Priceless"......
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2014, 4:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2GLD View Post
Funny, in that same section, did anyone else notice the typo from Uniden under the "Opening Message"

These scanners are apparently now "Uniden Barecat" models; it use to be "BEARCAT" didn't it?

Doesn't anybody proof read anymore?
It's been pointed out, yes. It was also noted that it is in an editable area of text. Human error, plain and simple.
Old 01-27-2014, 4:50 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03msc View Post
It's been pointed out, yes. It was also noted that it is in an editable area of text. Human error, plain and simple.
One would have thought that since there was a software update since the initial release that it would have been corrected. It was there in the original release too... Human errors are expected, let's just hope there's none in the firmware of these little gems...

I only own REAL radios (i.e. Motorola, ICOM, Kenwood, Yaesu, and Uniden); I'll never have any cheap Chinese knockoffs! Yes, that means you Baofang, Wouxun, CSI...
Old 01-27-2014, 4:57 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You can change it:
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2014, 5:15 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveIN View Post
You can change it:
Unless you're the person who misspelled it the first time; they it would be "BareKitty" sounds kinky...

I only own REAL radios (i.e. Motorola, ICOM, Kenwood, Yaesu, and Uniden); I'll never have any cheap Chinese knockoffs! Yes, that means you Baofang, Wouxun, CSI...
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2014, 5:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

I'm going to edit mine anyway:
"You have found
my lost scanner
call (my phone number)
for a $100 reward"

I'd gladly pay someone $100 to return my missing scanner rather than spend $500 on a new one.
-AZ
Old 01-27-2014, 5:35 PM

I am just curious since alot of people today have received their 436HP if they can test the earbud jack to see if there is white noise or a hissing sound on the radios. I noticed it on my 536HP as well as other people too.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2014, 5:44 PM
Forums Moderator
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default BCD436HP Post Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsima1 View Post
I am just curious since alot of people today have received their 436HP if they can test the earbud jack to see if there is white noise or a hissing sound on the radios. I noticed it on my 536HP as well as other people too.

Thanks

The 436 does not have the hissing sound.
Old 01-27-2014, 5:46 PM

Default Re: BCD436HP Post Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZScanner View Post
I'm going to edit mine anyway:
"You have found
my lost scanner
call (my phone number)
for a $100 reward"

I'd gladly pay someone $100 to return my missing scanner rather than spend $500 on a new one.
-AZ
I did the same thing but with my HP1
Old 01-27-2014, 10:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Anyone : How does it sound on Phase II [TDMA] ? Mine should be coming soon. Will use for Loudoun Co, VA & PG County, MD.
Old 01-28-2014, 1:08 AM
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Don't get scared off by all the noise I am making on the X36 Simulcast Performance thread. Despite the ongoing challenges with P25 simulcast, the 436HP is a great radio. The BCD436HP is definitely causing my 396XT to go on the RR Classifieds. Here are some of my Pros (over the 396XT) and Cons (vs the 396XT and in general). The list is not necessarily in order, and I probably left off a few.

Pros
-Home Patrol - Anywhere I go, I am ready to scan. I used to spend hours loading and unloading systems into the 396XT based on where I was traveling. I have tried carrying the HP1 while traveling, but it was cumbersome.
-Display – Large display showing a lot of information without scrolling.
-Battery – On par with BCD396XT. I was concerned battery life would be less, but it appears that the 436HP requires less voltage to operate. Battery low notification begins around 3.32V as opposed to 3.5V in the 396XT.
-System and Department holds – The 396XT had a system hold by holding the F key. However, it was limited in function compared to the 436HP.
-Site Hold
-Department Avoid - Easy to Enable and disable department avoid. Easy to see what departments are avoided. In 396XT, you could lockout groups, but it was through the menu and not very easy to identify what was locked out.
-More than 500 talkgroups per system – THANK YOU! Trunked systems that I monitor have more than 500 known talkgroups. With the 396XT I was forced to break apart systems to tag all talkgroups.
-Radio ID Tags - in the 396XT, this would take up the same "500 talkgroup" limitation. Not sure what is the limit for the 436HP, but I can now tag more than just a few Radio IDs without worrying about taking up the precious 500 talkgroup spots.
-LED Alert Light – Very nice. My 3 year old is even telling me what I am hearing based on the color of the light! Blue for local PD, Red for local Fire, etc. Very nice for identifying radio traffic at a quick glance.
-Number tags – Even better with 436HP. Favorite number tags. System number tags.
-USB – no more USB to serial converters needed.
-Recording
-Replay
-P25 Phase II – New systems in my area are popping up, and Phoenix will be moving this direction in the coming years.
-MicroSD - Flexibility for having multiple cards, or installing larger cards.
-Clock - I know everything has a clock on it, but I found myself looking at the scanner's clock more than I thought I would.
Cons
-Does not follow patches on P25 Systems - Yes, I know it correctly follows patches on EDACS, and Motorola Mixed mode systems. It DOES NOT follow patches properly on P25 Phase 1 systems. If your system uses a lot of patches, be prepared to scan all talkgroups that might be patched. It makes holding on a talkgroup a challenge if it is patched. (I have a thread about this too if you want to chime in).
-Display glare – awful while driving. Maybe the curved display causes all the glare? 536HP is not bad but the 436HP has terrible glare.
-Backlight - If it was brighter, it would make the display easier to read during the day. White is the only color option.
-No Bluetooth - In order to discretely listen, it still needs wired headphones. Just think of all the possibilities with Bluetooth, (wireless headset, wireless speaker, paring with car audio, paring with home audio, paring with computer, paring with phone, etc). You are already wearing that silly headset waiting for a call, why not also be listening to your scanner with it.
-P25 Simulcast Decoding – Although slightly better than 396XT, it is still not acceptable. This still needs attention from Uniden.
-Quick Key quirks – When I press “.0 or .1” to see what quick keys are enabled or disabled, it stops the scanner. On the 396XT, I could do this and the radio would keep scanning. The 436HP will also stop scanning to activate and deactivate quick keys.
-Encrypted talkgroups – 436HP does not display radio ID’s when holding on an encrypted talkgroup. Even though we cannot monitor encrypted talkgroups, there is still value in seeing the active radio ID. It helps in identifying Encrypted talkgroups.
-More Encrypted talkgroup quirks – With the 436HP, there is no way to tell if an encrypted talkgroup is active if you are holding on it. If you are scanning, you see ENC flash up quickly. If you hold on it, you cannot tell if it is active or not. When holding on a talkgroup, you can tell on the 536HP as it will display ENC, the 436 does not.
-Cannot tell what freq is the active control channel on a trunked system. 396XT would show control channel freq if there were no talkgroups active.
-Cannot tell what are active talkgroups on a system. The 396XT would scroll through them when holding on the control channel. This will likely be addressed when the Analyze feature becomes available.
-If holding on a trunked system where you cannot receive a control channel, 436HP does not notify that it is “searching for control channel”. It looks like it is scanning and receiving the control channel.
-No MOTOTRBO – Several agencies in my area are using MOTOTRBO.
-No LTR Passport – Native Air medical helicopters use an LTR Passport system that I cannot monitor. Native Air has one conventional freq in my area that I enjoy monitoring. I would like to hear all of their radio traffic.
-No D-STAR - I'm a ham, and would like to monitor D-STAR without another radio.
-No ProVoice - There are some ProVoice systems out there, and one I listen to frequently.
-Software - Uniden software is ok, but other software like Butel is much better. Butel will have software in the near future, but for now it's Uniden Sentinel.

Last edited by cellphone; 01-28-2014 at 1:28 AM..
Old 01-28-2014, 1:13 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks a lot for your post "cellphone", it answers several of my questions at once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2014, 1:40 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikito View Post
Thanks a lot for your post "cellphone", it answers several of my questions at once.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DITTO - Best review I've seen yet.

OH how I hate sorting through the 40+ threads covering these new scanners.

Last edited by W8RMH; 01-28-2014 at 1:48 AM..
Old 01-28-2014, 2:33 AM
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Database Admin

Incredible review. And just a thought, some of the items could most likely be added with an update like Uniden did when they added Radio ID features a few years ago. Items like follow patches, the QK quirk, Display ENC, control channel frequency.
Old 01-28-2014, 6:45 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Review

Thanks for the review. My radio will arrive today. Very disappointing about not displaying ID's while holding on an encrypted channel. I knew it would not stop scanning for an encrypted transmission but was hoping it would at least display the information if you sat on a freq. I went through all the effort to enter 100 Conventional P25 frequencies as Single Channel trunked P25, Another drawback.
The ability to hold on an encrypted TG or conventional channel is very valuable in identifying what agency is using the radio. It makes it easy to tell federal agencies from local and state agencies on the trunked system and it identifies what federal agency is using the conventional frequencies. I guess I will still carry my PSR800 and Pro-18 for that purpose.

However overall it sounds encouraging and I'm still excited to get mine today. Hopefully they can add a monitor encrypted check mark in the software so those of us that want to watch radio ID's can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellphone View Post
Don't get scared off by all the noise I am making on the X36 Simulcast Performance thread. Despite the ongoing challenges with P25 simulcast, the 436HP is a great radio. The BCD436HP is definitely causing my 396XT to go on the RR Classifieds. Here are some of my Pros (over the 396XT) and Cons (vs the 396XT and in general). The list is not necessarily in order, and I probably left off a few.

Pros
-Home Patrol - Anywhere I go, I am ready to scan. I used to spend hours loading and unloading systems into the 396XT based on where I was traveling. I have tried carrying the HP1 while traveling, but it was cumbersome.
-Display – Large display showing a lot of information without scrolling.
-Battery – On par with BCD396XT. I was concerned battery life would be less, but it appears that the 436HP requires less voltage to operate. Battery low notification begins around 3.32V as opposed to 3.5V in the 396XT.
-System and Department holds – The 396XT had a system hold by holding the F key. However, it was limited in function compared to the 436HP.
-Site Hold
-Department Avoid - Easy to Enable and disable department avoid. Easy to see what departments are avoided. In 396XT, you could lockout groups, but it was through the menu and not very easy to identify what was locked out.
-More than 500 talkgroups per system – THANK YOU! Trunked systems that I monitor have more than 500 known talkgroups. With the 396XT I was forced to break apart systems to tag all talkgroups.
-Radio ID Tags - in the 396XT, this would take up the same "500 talkgroup" limitation. Not sure what is the limit for the 436HP, but I can now tag more than just a few Radio IDs without worrying about taking up the precious 500 talkgroup spots.
-LED Alert Light – Very nice. My 3 year old is even telling me what I am hearing based on the color of the light! Blue for local PD, Red for local Fire, etc. Very nice for identifying radio traffic at a quick glance.
-Number tags – Even better with 436HP. Favorite number tags. System number tags.
-USB – no more USB to serial converters needed.
-Recording
-Replay
-P25 Phase II – New systems in my area are popping up, and Phoenix will be moving this direction in the coming years.
-MicroSD - Flexibility for having multiple cards, or installing larger cards.
-Clock - I know everything has a clock on it, but I found myself looking at the scanner's clock more than I thought I would.
Cons
-Does not follow patches on P25 Systems - Yes, I know it correctly follows patches on EDACS, and Motorola Mixed mode systems. It DOES NOT follow patches properly on P25 Phase 1 systems. If your system uses a lot of patches, be prepared to scan all talkgroups that might be patched. It makes holding on a talkgroup a challenge if it is patched. (I have a thread about this too if you want to chime in).
-Display glare – awful while driving. Maybe the curved display causes all the glare? 536HP is not bad but the 436HP has terrible glare.
-Backlight - If it was brighter, it would make the display easier to read during the day. White is the only color option.
-No Bluetooth - In order to discretely listen, it still needs wired headphones. Just think of all the possibilities with Bluetooth, (wireless headset, wireless speaker, paring with car audio, paring with home audio, paring with computer, paring with phone, etc). You are already wearing that silly headset waiting for a call, why not also be listening to your scanner with it.
-P25 Simulcast Decoding – Although slightly better than 396XT, it is still not acceptable. This still needs attention from Uniden.
-Quick Key quirks – When I press “.0 or .1” to see what quick keys are enabled or disabled, it stops the scanner. On the 396XT, I could do this and the radio would keep scanning. The 436HP will also stop scanning to activate and deactivate quick keys.
-Encrypted talkgroups – 436HP does not display radio ID’s when holding on an encrypted talkgroup. Even though we cannot monitor encrypted talkgroups, there is still value in seeing the active radio ID. It helps in identifying Encrypted talkgroups.
-More Encrypted talkgroup quirks – With the 436HP, there is no way to tell if an encrypted talkgroup is active if you are holding on it. If you are scanning, you see ENC flash up quickly. If you hold on it, you cannot tell if it is active or not. When holding on a talkgroup, you can tell on the 536HP as it will display ENC, the 436 does not.
-Cannot tell what freq is the active control channel on a trunked system. 396XT would show control channel freq if there were no talkgroups active.
-Cannot tell what are active talkgroups on a system. The 396XT would scroll through them when holding on the control channel. This will likely be addressed when the Analyze feature becomes available.
-If holding on a trunked system where you cannot receive a control channel, 436HP does not notify that it is “searching for control channel”. It looks like it is scanning and receiving the control channel.
-No MOTOTRBO – Several agencies in my area are using MOTOTRBO.
-No LTR Passport – Native Air medical helicopters use an LTR Passport system that I cannot monitor. Native Air has one conventional freq in my area that I enjoy monitoring. I would like to hear all of their radio traffic.
-No D-STAR - I'm a ham, and would like to monitor D-STAR without another radio.
-No ProVoice - There are some ProVoice systems out there, and one I listen to frequently.
-Software - Uniden software is ok, but other software like Butel is much better. Butel will have software in the near future, but for now it's Uniden Sentinel.
http://W8MSP.com
E-Mail W8MSP@W8MSP.com
E-Mail detroit780@radioreference.com
Sponsored links

Old 01-28-2014, 7:08 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Thanks cellphone!

This review makes me even more excited. I was told my radio shipped but I have no tracking number yet. So who knows. I'm sure I'll eventually get it.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:16 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
This is definitely one major downside to the Uniden models, I'd like to see a check box option to allow for users who don't want to mute encryption.

I monitor a lot of federal frequencies and it's super useful to know when a channel is active, plus a lot of us fed monitoring guys log radio IDs.

Surely this is possible to fix with a firmware update and I'm not sure why this wasn't included in the new model, I know it's been asked for since the 996 model radio.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:58 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I would not call it a "major downside".
Actually the ability to mute & skip encrypted radio traffic was a benefit that Uniden had over previous GRE models...at least a lot of folks (myself included) believe that not having the scanner get "stuck" on encrypted talkgroups like the GRE models were prone to do was a benefit.
Give people what they want and they still complain.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskmonger View Post
This is definitely one major downside to the Uniden models, I'd like to see a check box option to allow for users who don't want to mute encryption.

I monitor a lot of federal frequencies and it's super useful to know when a channel is active, plus a lot of us fed monitoring guys log radio IDs.

Surely this is possible to fix with a firmware update and I'm not sure why this wasn't included in the new model, I know it's been asked for since the 996 model radio.

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR
Old 01-28-2014, 1:03 PM

One of the reasons I bought this was for the recording and discovery feature. That would really suck to come home and go thru hours of encrypted audio. For the majority of users, I feel they like the way Uniden has done it. Perhaps we need a thread with a poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskmonger View Post

Old 01-28-2014, 1:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE4ZNR View Post
I would not call it a "major downside".
Actually the ability to mute & skip encrypted radio traffic was a benefit that Uniden had over previous GRE models...at least a lot of folks (myself included) believe that not having the scanner get "stuck" on encrypted talkgroups like the GRE models were prone to do was a benefit.
Give people what they want and they still complain.
Marshall KE4ZNR
True, but like the clock setting, this could easily be addressed by a user-selectable "switch" in firmware: Mute Encryption? Y/N. It's probably pretty easy to add something like that to a future firmware release if enough people say they want the option. Personally, I think that if you want to know what units are sitting on what channel, that's what Unitrunker is for. I'd rather tie up a $20 dongle and an otherwise idle computer with that sort of thing than my $500 scanner.

-AZ