RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2014, 1:09 PM
WaveJam's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Frederick, MD.
Posts: 124
Default BCD536HP External Audio Very Weak

Hi All...

I have my BCD536HP online now and everything seemed to go well. I did the firmware and sentinel updates as Upman prescribed.... Two questions though...

1. I'm using Scannercast to broadcast the stream, I have an audio cable going from the BCD536HP external audio port to the PC. It works... but... its very quiet. I have to crank the volume up on the scanner to hear anything through the scannercast feed. If I unplug the cable, the internal speaker is nice and loud. Also, if I plug the audio cable into my 996XT the sound is strong through scannercast. It seems the external jack is simply weak. I tried the headphone jack and its better. What gives?

2. Also, in the beginning of some transmissions. Not sure if this is related to the fact that I have the volume up high for the scanner feed. Please listen: Frederick County Airport, Highway, Police, Fire and EMS

Thanks...
__________________
Sincerely,
Pete

www.frederickscanner.com
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2014, 1:19 PM
safetyobc's Avatar
Forums Moderator
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: South Arkansas
Posts: 3,821
Default

I connected an external speaker to mine and it pushes out great audio through the speaker. Not sure what would cause it to be weaker going through the PC? Do you have an external speaker your could connect and see if it is the PC or the speaker jack?
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2014, 1:23 PM
WaveJam's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Frederick, MD.
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyobc View Post
Do you have an external speaker your could connect and see if it is the PC or the speaker jack?
Thanks... Like I said, if I use that same audio cable and hook up my 996XT to the PC, it pushes great sound. I think that rules out the PC and audio cable. I'll still dig up a speaker and see what happens.
__________________
Sincerely,
Pete

www.frederickscanner.com
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2014, 8:57 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveJam View Post
Thanks... Like I said, if I use that same audio cable and hook up my 996XT to the PC, it pushes great sound. I think that rules out the PC and audio cable. I'll still dig up a speaker and see what happens.
I read somewhere on RR that Scannercast will soon be optimized for the x36BC radios. I do not know if they would have anything to do with it or not but I kind of doubt it.

Are you using a stereo plug or a mono plug with your audio cable? I think the speaker out needs a mono plug and the headphone out jack requires a stereo plug, other wise you run the risk (if like the other Unidens of the past) of shorting the left channel out to ground.

Have you tried the Record out jack on the 996 or was it too weak?

Of course you could have a bad speaker out jack as well since your cable works with the 996.
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2014, 9:09 PM
trsundstrom's Avatar
Mentor
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Burlington County, NJ
Posts: 1,349
Default

Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-22) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I wonder if the line impedance changed with the 536? HTH.
__________________
Tom - W2XQ - w2xq.com
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2014, 9:38 PM
wise871's Avatar
FL, GA, AL, MS Admin
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: N.W. Florida
Posts: 2,484
Default BCD536HP External Audio Very Weak

If the 536 had a line out this wouldn't be an issue.
__________________
Dan M
BCD436HP /BCD536HP /BCD396XT /BCD996T(XT) /BCT15X /PRO-197 /PRO-106 /PSR-410 /HP-1 /BC898T
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2014, 9:47 PM
WaveJam's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Frederick, MD.
Posts: 124
Default BCD536HP External Audio Very Weak

If I use an amplified external speaker, it works great.. But the second I plug it back into the PC, the scannercast feed is too quiet. Then I plug my 996 into that same cable, its nice and loud via scannercast. Theres something fishy about this ext spkr jack. I'm agreeing withtrsundstrom.

Upman? Anything you can add?
__________________
Sincerely,
Pete

www.frederickscanner.com
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveJam View Post
If I use an amplified external speaker, it works great.. But the second I plug it back into the PC, the scannercast feed is too quiet. Then I plug my 996 into that same cable, its nice and loud via scannercast. Theres something fishy about this ext spkr jack. I'm agreeing withtrsundstrom.

Upman? Anything you can add?
I checked the owners manual for both the 536 and 996xt and this is what I found.

536BC - 5 watts output to an 8 ohm speaker
996xt - 5 watts output to an 8 ohm speaker
external speaker jack = Mono
Headphone & Record out Jacks = Stereo
Headphone out 30mW at 30 ohms
536BC - no headphone out given.
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2014, 6:07 AM
WaveJam's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Frederick, MD.
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0UDG View Post
I checked the owners manual for both the 536 and 996xt and this is what I found.

536BC - 5 watts output to an 8 ohm speaker
996xt - 5 watts output to an 8 ohm speaker
external speaker jack = Mono
Headphone & Record out Jacks = Stereo
Headphone out 30mW at 30 ohms
536BC - no headphone out given.
Hmmm... This doesn't help my theory. Thanks for digging that up N0UDG.
__________________
Sincerely,
Pete

www.frederickscanner.com
Sponsored links
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2014, 6:09 AM
WaveJam's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Frederick, MD.
Posts: 124
Default

Is anyone around here running the BCD536HP with Scannercast right now? I assume yes and I assume your audio levels are ok? Would love some feedback.

I'm stumped.... Do I need an in-line amp then?
__________________
Sincerely,
Pete

www.frederickscanner.com
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Skypilot007's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 1,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise871 View Post
If the 536 had a line out this wouldn't be an issue.
You have to be kidding me right? No line level audio output. What the heck is Uniden thinking? Hello....is anyone home at Uniden. All these on line streams usually use that.
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2014, 1:04 AM
BigEvil's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 161
Default

I've noticed another problem with the audio. When using it in Serial Mode(with the USB connect) the speaker out on the back is significantly quieter than when not connected that way.

I set it up tonight with the Uniden Driver/Serial Mode to broadcast Alpha Tags via Scannercast. While the alpha do work, unfortunately I've noticed that for some reason the audio output got a lot quieter and required me to turn the volume knob from where it was (at 9) to where it is now (18).

Anyone else seeing this?

Last edited by BigEvil; 02-10-2014 at 1:29 AM..
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2014, 9:46 AM
WaveJam's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Frederick, MD.
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
I've noticed another problem with the audio. When using it in Serial Mode(with the USB connect) the speaker out on the back is significantly quieter than when not connected that way.
Wow.. Thats interesting... I Will try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
to broadcast Alpha Tags via Scannercast. While the alpha do work,
So wait... You have alphatags working? Do you have it set for Uniden 396/996 and it works? It didn't for me. Did you do anything special? My understanding is that alphatags would not work with the current scannercast.
__________________
Sincerely,
Pete

www.frederickscanner.com
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2014, 10:48 AM
BigEvil's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 161
Default

Yup. I downloaded the driver from the 536 wiki and then manually updated the driver via the device manager page. After that I restarted and when I opened scannercast (not the RR edition) a COM port was available finally and it works (I used the 396/996 tab). All that aside. the sound thing scares/bothers me.
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
Yup. I downloaded the driver from the 536 wiki and then manually updated the driver via the device manager page. After that I restarted and when I opened scannercast (not the RR edition) a COM port was available finally and it works (I used the 396/996 tab). All that aside. the sound thing scares/bothers me.
I agree!

UPMan has stated that the component problem with the headphone issue in the 536HP is in a separate circuit from the speaker out or the internal speaker amp.. So fixing the headphone issue will apparently provide no help for the problem you have described.

Having to go from 9 to 18 on a audio taper volume control is way more than doubling the output.
Sponsored links
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2014, 11:01 AM
BigEvil's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0UDG View Post
I agree!

UPMan has stated that the component problem with the headphone issue in the 536HP is in a separate circuit from the speaker out or the internal speaker amp.. So fixing the headphone issue will apparently provide no help for the problem you have described.

Having to go from 9 to 18 on a audio taper volume control is way more than doubling the output.
I'll start a new thread for this.
Thanks
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 595
Default pc

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyobc View Post
I connected an external speaker to mine and it pushes out great audio through the speaker. Not sure what would cause it to be weaker going through the PC? Do you have an external speaker your could connect and see if it is the PC or the speaker jack?
The cable is wrong somehow either its mono when it needs stereo or vice versa.if the audio on the scanner is set too loud,the sound card can "clip" or sound low.
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2014, 11:27 AM
NYRHKY94's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,186
Default

BigEvil:

Please do start another thread for this issue. I can confirm what the other guys are saying here as I tested my BCD536HP with the newlly released RadioFeed from Bob at Proscan as it now supports text tags for these new models. When using the speaker out for the streaming audio, the sound is so low that you can't even hear it. Even after cranking it up, it is still way too low IMO to be useful for an RR feed. When using the preferred headphone jack for streaming the audio, you obviously have the white noise/hissing issue broadcast as part of the stream, so that's no solution either (until the new replacement units are distributed by Uniden).
__________________
PSR600/PSR500/PSR410/PRO106x2/PRO197x3/BCD996XT/
BCT15X/BCD536HP/BC210XLT
Feeds: http://www.radio-reference.com/apps/account/?tab=la
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2014, 12:00 PM
BigEvil's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 161
Default

Here ya go , new thread here --> http://forums.radioreference.com/uni...rial-mode.html
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2014, 12:20 PM
WaveJam's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Frederick, MD.
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
I set it up tonight with the Uniden Driver/Serial Mode to broadcast Alpha Tags via Scannercast. While the alpha do work, unfortunately I've noticed that for some reason the audio output got a lot quieter and required me to turn the volume knob from where it was (at 9) to where it is now (18).
Confirmed... I have the exact same issue. Without the USB plugged in, my audio is as loud as it should be. I plugged the USB back in and the audio went quiet again.
__________________
Sincerely,
Pete

www.frederickscanner.com
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions