Like a little kid at Christmas I unboxed my 536HP today and immediately followed UPMan's instructions he posted at BCD536HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki
Much to my dismay, Sentinel could not locate the 536 with the supplied USB cable. After powering the unit off and back on, and trying two different computers to determine if the issue was on my end, I rebooted the scanner and was greeted with a lovely SD card error. Oh joy.
I could not reformat the card via Sentinel because of the previously mentioned USB issue, so I used a SD card reader to do it (after searching my electronics stash for several minutes to find a USB card reader). So I managed to reformat the card, and still no joy. Sentinel still could not see the scanner.
So I started my search again and found an old USB cable. Started from the beginning and was pleasantly surprised that my old USB cable did the trick. Apparently the USB cable Uniden sent was bad. So, for anyone else who has this problem hopefully my 30 minutes of frustration will help you out.
I'm hoping my experience is better moving forward. Hopefully my 436HP doesn't have the same problem when it arrives. If it does, I guess I'm well educated now.
Get the Latest Sentinel, Firmware, and Database
1. Download the latest version of BCDx36HP Sentinel. BCDx36HP_Sentinel_Version_1_02_01.zip
2. Unzip, then install the new version by clicking the Setup.exe file.
3. Launch Sentinel, then select UPDATE --> Update Master HPDB.
4. Plug your scanner into your PC using the supplied USB cable. Press E to select Mass Storage mode.
5. From within Sentinel, select UPDATE --> Update Firmware.
6. From within Sentinel, select Scanner--> Write to Scanner.
7. Unplug the USB cable. The new firmware will be applied.
Apply the Latest Firmware to your Wi-Fi Dongle
Note: The following has not been tested to work on any operating system beyond Windows 7. 1. Download Wi-Fi-Updater.zip.
2. Unzip the files downloaded in Step 1. Then, unzip the files in STM_VCP.zip.
3. Navigate to the STM_VCP directory and run either VCP_V1.3.1_Setup.exe or VCP_V1.3.1_Setup_x64.exe depending on whether you are running a 32-bit or 64-bit OS.
4. Plug the Wi-Fi dongle directly into a USB port on your PC and allow it to install.
5. Unzip the files in BC-WF1_FirmwareUpdater_Version0.00.03.zip.
6. Navigate to the BC-WF1_FirmwareUpdater_Version0.00.03 directory, then run Setup.exe to install the updater.
7. Run the program you installed in Step 6 by navigating to the Uniden --> BCDx36HP --> BC_Wifi_Updater application launcher in your programs list.
8. When prompted, point the updater to the FWUpdate_WriteData_UartDisable_ver.5.1.bin file part of what you unzipped in Step 2.