BCD536HP buyer on fense

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
On the fence I mean...Just asking new users to report good or bad how are the new scanners doing on milair? Also wanting to know if anyone tested different p25 signals from different freq ranges and had different results with these new scanners? I get p25 on 160's/170's/400's and 800's is it all good for the Uniden scanners? Lastly am I going to have to use my FM Trap with this new scanner is the front end the same as the bct-15x/996xt?

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
On the fence I mean...Just asking new users to report good or bad how are the new scanners doing on milair? Also wanting to know if anyone tested different p25 signals from different freq ranges and had different results with these new scanners? I get p25 on 160's/170's/400's and 800's is it all good for the Uniden scanners? Lastly am I going to have to use my FM Trap with this new scanner is the front end the same as the bct-15x/996xt?

I see both positive and negative reports on the state of the P25 decoding. My opinion on the P25 CAI and CQPSK are positive here with nice clear audio decode with low error rates.

The mil air band (and civil air band) are sensitive. You will likely need the FM trap just as you mentioned with the previous models. I am satisfied with the "ears" and sound quality from the x36 audio, but as always there are differences IMHO. I suspect you'll need to evaluate the performance on your own, but I doubt you'll be disappointed.

My main air band antennas are a Dimond discone and an ScanTenna at ~30'. Both appear to be performing well with the 536.

SCPD

QRT
Fence sitting

"I suspect you'll need to evaluate the performance on your own, but I doubt you'll be disappointed."
Couldn't agree more, get off the fence, this radio will do everything you want and probably more, depending on your local market and interests. Let me say for the record, I have not been a big fan of some of Uniden's recent releases, Home Patrol specifically, but have been mostly satisfied with my new 536. Yes there are some minor audio issues, that will be corrected in time. Is the radio functional out the box? Yes it is. Is it a little slow scanning through a ridiculously bloated database? Yes it is, but learn how to program it using the provided software and I think you'll be very pleased with the results. The radio is definitely capable of Phase II TDMA decoding, but not every listener will have the same level of satisfaction with that aspect of the radio, but it will do it just fine so don't let that deter you in getting off the fence. Not a big Uniden fan, but can't say I'm dissatisfied with this purchase. I want it for the Phase II decoding and it's doing that just fine. At this point, overall, I'd give it an eight rating on a scale of 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.