RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners and Receivers Forums > Uniden Forums > Uniden Thread Archives

Uniden Thread Archives A depository of archived threads from the original Uniden forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 10:45 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question BCD536HP buyer on fense

On the fence I mean...Just asking new users to report good or bad how are the new scanners doing on milair? Also wanting to know if anyone tested different p25 signals from different freq ranges and had different results with these new scanners? I get p25 on 160's/170's/400's and 800's is it all good for the Uniden scanners? Lastly am I going to have to use my FM Trap with this new scanner is the front end the same as the bct-15x/996xt?

BCT-15 / BCT-15X / PSR-500 /PSR-410/ PRO-2051/ BC125AT/PRO-95/SDR#/G3

Last edited by 737mech; 02-03-2014 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2014, 11:27 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737mech View Post
On the fence I mean...Just asking new users to report good or bad how are the new scanners doing on milair? Also wanting to know if anyone tested different p25 signals from different freq ranges and had different results with these new scanners? I get p25 on 160's/170's/400's and 800's is it all good for the Uniden scanners? Lastly am I going to have to use my FM Trap with this new scanner is the front end the same as the bct-15x/996xt?
I see both positive and negative reports on the state of the P25 decoding. My opinion on the P25 CAI and CQPSK are positive here with nice clear audio decode with low error rates.

The mil air band (and civil air band) are sensitive. You will likely need the FM trap just as you mentioned with the previous models. I am satisfied with the "ears" and sound quality from the x36 audio, but as always there are differences IMHO. I suspect you'll need to evaluate the performance on your own, but I doubt you'll be disappointed.

My main air band antennas are a Dimond discone and an ScanTenna at ~30'. Both appear to be performing well with the 536.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:08 PM

Default Fence sitting

"I suspect you'll need to evaluate the performance on your own, but I doubt you'll be disappointed."
Couldn't agree more, get off the fence, this radio will do everything you want and probably more, depending on your local market and interests. Let me say for the record, I have not been a big fan of some of Uniden's recent releases, Home Patrol specifically, but have been mostly satisfied with my new 536. Yes there are some minor audio issues, that will be corrected in time. Is the radio functional out the box? Yes it is. Is it a little slow scanning through a ridiculously bloated database? Yes it is, but learn how to program it using the provided software and I think you'll be very pleased with the results. The radio is definitely capable of Phase II TDMA decoding, but not every listener will have the same level of satisfaction with that aspect of the radio, but it will do it just fine so don't let that deter you in getting off the fence. Not a big Uniden fan, but can't say I'm dissatisfied with this purchase. I want it for the Phase II decoding and it's doing that just fine. At this point, overall, I'd give it an eight rating on a scale of 10.