Silly belt clip....

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8LEA

For UpMan....

And anybody else who's interested....

I tend to wear my BCD396XT a lot.

I've been monitoring the Township PD and a few others since crystal-controlled single-channel "scanners" were unusual.

Somewhere along the line, the Japanese started selling HT's that also tuned the Hi-Band channels, if desired, and I started wearing one. (Not to mention mobile units in my cars.) A Yaesu FT-60R (or something like that - it's upstairs and I'm not) was my usual for quite a few years.

However the Township PD went APCO25....

I've managed to break two of those belt clips - the "latch" portion breaks off, leaving nothing holding the radio in the clip except gravity. In so far as the 396 weighs practically nothing, that doesn't work too well....

I broke one literally the first day I owned the radio, and the other one the other day. I still have a couple more (I bought some), but....

Any ideas? I can likely talk "repair" out of another clip, but it's getting old....

(Especially when it breaks when I'm someplace else....)

Regards,

bpsmicro

This: Uniden Soft Leather Case with Swivel

I have one, and I love it. I'd never consider for a moment wearing any portable device on my belt not in some sort of protective case anyway, and I'd never trust any plastic clip of any kind, ever.
If you don't want the swivel clip, there are a couple of cases there with belt loops instead.

Brad.

K8LEA

Brad:

Not the worst choice, I suppose. Kinda hard to find the picture "in use" when you see Molly and.... :D....

(A local gun store had a cute blonde countergirl who tended to make the guys forget what they were in there for :) .... When she got married and pulled out, business actually dropped a bit for a while....)

Problem with this case is that it is kinda bulky. I am too.... I normally wear the thing under a cover garment. I'd need a couple of those belt holders, too - I swap between my around-the-house grubbies and "dress" (fit, clean, etc.) for outside. Major pain to swap a loop-style case, and only slightly easier to swap a belt holder.

I wonder if that belt holder would work with the radio without the rest of the case? I tried to make one, but it didn't work at all. The "microphone clip" on the back of the radio fits most mic clips you'd put on the dash in a car, etc. In my case, it wouldn't stay in the clip (which is probably why Uniden's OEM clip has a latch setup), and tended to swivel all over the place.

The rear of the radio is such that you can't just add a clip to the back of the radio, like the ones on my Yaesu HT's. The "bulge" for the button that's already there makes for some fitting problems, and bulk issues, too - they seem to have designed the thing so you can get a substantial jacket between the radio and your belt.

(I had a plastic holster like that - came with a Springfield XD9SC - that was great for the range or "open carry", but stuck out so far - by design - that it was useless for concealed carry. But you could tuck a jacket in between the gun and your belt....)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.