Before you buy the USB-1 cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHVH-1

I just wanted to share this information I found out.
I had bought the following USB to Serial cable from monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10311&cs_id=1031104&p_id=2276&seq=1&format=2

I got it so I could program my Pro-95 if I wanted to, and have a way to connect to any other serial device (like network switches at work).

Well, I ended up ordering a BC246T the same week, and the USB-1 cable on ebay using an ebay gift certificate I had. I get the scanner and the USB serial adapter around the same time, so I download the drivers and set it up and program my new scanner. It works perfectly, the device shows up as COM 3 and I upload and download no problem.

Well later the next week I get the USB-1 in the mail so i figured I would try that out. I download the driver from the uniden site, and I go to install it and what does it tell me but that the driver already exists! What do ya know, the USB-1 cable and the monoprice serial adapter (SYBA brand) both use the same chip!!. So now I am able to program the scanner with the USB-1 without even installing the driver.

So I figured I would share this with everyone, cause the USB adapter is only $9 plus shipping and the USB-1 cable is $30 plus shipping. This might help some people strapped for cash save a few bucks. Plus the USB serial adapter will work on any other scanner that you have a serial cable for.

Last edited:

n4yek

Thanks for this thread, I was just about to order my BCD396T scanner with the USB cable until I read your message. I can use it to program my Pro 95 as well as my new scanner.
Thanks a bunch!!!

warren128

Thanks

JVH-1,

thanks for posting this information. I just received my 246t as a gift, and I was beginning to get tired from all the key presses required to program it, not to mention the wear and tear on the buttons. So I decided to get some information about programming it. I bought the usb/serial adapter on your recommendation and I couldn't be happier.

I use it with the factory serial cable and Freescan software, and it worsk great!!!

--Warren

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
That adapter cable from Monoprice uses a Prolific chip. The adapter was recognized by both my xp and Vista machines without installing any new drivers
Dave

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Very nice.

Just ordered one.. Going to use it on my Macbook Pro with XP/Parallels.

Thanks for posting this..

I love Monoprice for anything cables!

Andrew

eyeh8u

stupid question

I get that the usb plugs into the computer but the other end of this cable you talk about, it fits into that tiny little plug on the side of the 246T?

I just got one of these scanners. It came with the unit alone, no cables or anything. I'm wondering if there's another piece I also need to buy in addition to the one you fellas are on about.

thanks in advance,

Keith.

n4yek

eyeh8u said:
I get that the usb plugs into the computer but the other end of this cable you talk about, it fits into that tiny little plug on the side of the 246T?

I just got one of these scanners. It came with the unit alone, no cables or anything. I'm wondering if there's another piece I also need to buy in addition to the one you fellas are on about.

thanks in advance,

Keith.
Well there is a serial cable that comes free with the scanners. If you have a laptop computer, most don't have serial connectors and you need to get a USB cable to connect it to you laptop.
The USB cable alone for the scanners cost $30 dollars plus shipping.
This cable we are all happy about plugs into the USB port and you plug the serial cable into it, cost for me $12 Shipped!!! Big Savings.
You stated you didn't get any cable with your scanner? Curious, is it new or did you buy it used?

Last edited:

n2mdk

eyeh8u said:

thanks in advance,

Keith.

If it didn't come with the serial cable then you can buy one http://www.unidendirect.com/accdetail.cfm?item=BWZY1227001 if your computer has a serial connection then this is all you need. If you don't you need a USB to serial adapter or the USB-1 cable that is a combination of both http://www.unidendirect.com/accdetail.cfm?item=USB-1

eyeh8u

No cables

Thanks for the quick responses.

My scanner - which i got used off ebay - came with no cables. Seems I'll need to buy both the cable that normally comes with the scanner and the adapter, which will run me just less than buying uniden's usb cable. Figures.

I did get a good deal on the scanner,tho. There is that.

Thanks,

Keith.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Whereas the Monoprice deal is a fantastic price; this using a USB->Serial adapter and whatever serial cable came with (or you had to buy) to interconnect your scanner was what I have been saying for the past 3 years. Buying custom USB -> Radio cables is a complete waste of money since they can't be used for anything else. It is just too bad that RS no longer stocks the serial cables.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
loumaag said:
Whereas the Monoprice deal is a fantastic price; this using a USB->Serial adapter and whatever serial cable came with (or you had to buy) to interconnect your scanner was what I have been saying for the past 3 years. Buying custom USB -> Radio cables is a complete waste of money since they can't be used for anything else. It is just too bad that RS no longer stocks the serial cables.

All of my local radioshacks have the serial scanner cable for $1.97 and the USB for $30. In stock but the serial is on clearance.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Well my monoprice cable came in yesterday..

Plugged it into both my Macbook Pro and my Dell.. Immediately, I get warning messages saying it is drawing too much power and shuts down the USB port.

So...apparently I got a dud or it depends on your machine. So for me... the Monoprice cable is useless. Not really worthwhile to send back for $11...

Oh well.. worth a try.

EDIT: Replaced the cable that goes into the adapter (from an old scanner I had)...Now it works. Apparently the included cable with the USB2Serial module was defective.

Andrew

Last edited:

country2

Glad I saw this...

I just installed a new Abit ip35 Pro and just noticed it doesn't have a 9 pin port. Just ordered the adapter from Monoprice on ebay (its cheaper than price shown on their site) Thanks for sharing the info with us.

toonman4

I ordered one from monoprice also and I can't get it to work on vista or XP
tried all the different drivers and different usb cables

now I'm waiting to hear back from monoprice about returning it or if they have any suggestions on how to get it to work

kg9qm

Incidently, my laptop came with a serial-USB adaptor (it has no physical serial port), which never had any utility until now (for me, at least). Almost forgot it was in that box of stuff that came with the laptop.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
toonman4 said:
I ordered one from monoprice also and I can't get it to work on vista or XP
tried all the different drivers and different usb cables

now I'm waiting to hear back from monoprice about returning it or if they have any suggestions on how to get it to work

I just got mine today and installed the Uniden drivers (on XP), it works great. Now I need to order up a couple more.

kg9qm

Another idea. If there's a hamfest near you, GO! This is the sort of thing you find at them for a buck or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.