Machine Gun Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanisflyboy

Premium Subscriber
This is the fire near Herriman. Best I can tell the official name is the "Machine Gun" fire, because it was started by military personal who were operating machine guns as part of a training exercise. Please post any information you have. Our family happened to be out in Herriman today when this started. The winds were very high out there, which I'm sure is complicating the fire response.I will try to update the wiki at this page as we gather info:

Events:UtahAlerts: Wildland Fire Herriman Command. Requesting Air support. VECC Resp 2 (September 19, 2010 16:19 - UtahRadio)

powderchaser

Very bad situation right now. Some homes have burned (no confirmation on numbers) and evacuation area is now up to 1200 homes. Winds don't die down until 7am in the morning and will shift to the NW and hopefully backfill the fire.

Junior1970

Heard on Uinta Net 1 (172.400) that the Red Flag warning has been extended to 0500 tomorrow morning. Also on UPD Tac 1 heard that a vehicle from the Nat'l Guard is carrying the Governor enroute to the Command Post.
UHP is currently sending units to 13400 and Bangerter and 12600 and Bangerter to keep looky-loos out of Herriman for traffic control.
Evacuees are now being sent to Herriman High School as 1200+ have now been evacuated according to KSL news.

scooterz

Herriman Fire

I'm not sure about the West side, but on the East, it is trying to spread S to SE, but is being pushed back by the wind. It has a strong head wind and trying to move down hill, so it isn't moving fast. As a result, it is running more South, which is away from the homes on the East side of Herriman.

ryanisflyboy

Premium Subscriber
You can get up to the second info from the Herriman city twitter feed. This is the most up-to-date on-line resource I've been able to find. I'm working on mirroring the evac map, which I will post as an image on the wiki as soon as I get it compressed and cleaned up. The fire is following wind direction, which you can find a link to below.

Twitter feed: Be Ready Herriman (BeReadyHerriman) on Twitter
Weather situation: MESOWEST STATION INTERFACE

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I sat in my car for lunch today and heard fire fighting comms on the following:

168.7250 heard Alpha Tac & TAC-7
141.1250 Range Control directing Water Drops
168.1750 unk
171.5750 Poss Air TAC
172.4000 comms about the weather
168.5000 comms about tanker being down for Maint

Water Drop Helo's ID'ed as Mustang

lndshrk

This fire was (literally) in my back yard.

I'd say 15 feet from my house.

UFA totally screwed the pooch.

They abandoned our circle, and our houses are still here due to neighbors with garden hoses and the fact
that we all had "defensible space" around our homes.

Two of the homes lost were directly to the west of us, and were lost due to the ineptitude of "incident command". If they had defended the road there, the fire wouldn't have jumped north to those homes.

Don't even get me started on the UPD, who baldface lied to me saying that "fire has it under control" when they never set foot in our neighborhood except to say "These houses are gone" and drive off..

(Yes, a small pickup-truck-like fire truck apparently came up as the firestorm started, and some woman in the passenger seat actually said that to my neighbor as he was getting ready to take the fire on)

Well, they aren't gone, and the 3 that are - at least 2 of them next to us didn't need to go either.

Do your damn jobs, or go work at Burger King.

I can hear the gasps of the LE/FD/EMS lovers here already - well boys, my Brother-In-Law is a retired FF, and his exact words - knowing my house/etc were: "What a bunch of pussies".

Concurred by all my neighbors as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.