Using a Pro-164 in Davis County after rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoker

Hello all,

Some quick background. I became interested in scanning in the early 90's (Uniden Bearcat BC200XLT that I still use now and then), and by the mid-90's I was into 2-meter/70-cm amateur radio (Yaesu FT-51, KC7KRZ).

I'm not exactly a newbie, but I'm somewhat out of touch in this decade. :)

In June of 2008 when the scanner bug started biting me again, I found that all of Davis County had (probably long since) gone to a Motorola trunked system, and I needed a new scanner. (Back in the mid 90's, trunked systems were somewhat novel, but I do remember conventionally scanning a Salt Lake International Airport trunked system back then...) So, back in June, I did my research, learned (from these very forums -- thank you all!) about the upcoming rebanding, and chose a Pro-164 because it was rebanding capable.

I programmed my Pro-164 using win 97 and a subscription to the Radio Reference database (thank you all, again!), and I have been enjoying it for months.

On the afternoon of December 4th, my cul-de-sac began to fill with paramedics, ambulances, and police. I grabbed my scanner and walked outside. A medical helicopter from the U of U was approaching... I turned on the Pro-164 and... radio silence.

As I learned from this forum, Davis UCAN was rebanded sometime during the evening of December 3rd. Perfect timing. :)

I guess that introduction was a bit long-winded, but here's what I understand, and I'm hoping someone reading can confirm this. Even though I've updated the UCAN frequencies from the recently updated database, because Motorola changed the channel spacing for its rebanded trunked systems, my Pro-164 can't scan Davis UCAN in trunked mode until I we get a firmware update from Radio Shack.

Does this mean that my only option at this point is to scan conventionally? I have read some posts about other scanners that have custom trunking table settings that could allow them to work, but I believe these were exclusively digital scanners (Pro-96, newer GRE's).

Is anyone having any luck with rebanded systems and the Pro-164? If so, any suggestions?

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I'm afraid the firmware update will be at least several months away.

--Shawn

qlajlu

Silent Key
Welcome to the Utah Forum of RR.com​
snoker!​

First let me compliment you on your diligence and doing your homework. Wow! That is impressive. Yes, the timing was on that event was meant just for you! :lol:

Since you have done your homework you already seem to have most of the answers, but just to smooth out the rough spots a little more information doesn't hurt. You can scan the frequencies now in use in the Davis County Area, but only as conventional frequencies. By monitoring as a conventional site, you will lose the ability to track conversations as they are reassigned by the CC. Any following you might experience will simply be coincidental.

You need to contact Radio Shack Customer Service as soon as you can for any upgrade they may have. The upgrade will, I have been led to understand, place the proper band plan in the scanner and no more intervention on your part will be necessary. I'm not sure whether you might have to repopulate your scanner with TGs.

In the meantime, take a look at the Database. You might be able to get some of Davis County traffic from affiliations with Salt Lake Site 002, Mt. Ogden, Nelson Peak. Be aware, however, you will not have full functioning tracking ability until you have the upgrade from Radio Shack.

Again, welcome and thank you for having your location already showing. It really does help craft answers.

Last edited:

snoker

Thank you, qlajlu.

I appreciate the quick response. I thought I had a pretty good understanding of my equipment and what was happening, but there are a few posts out there that say things like ARC 300 software "works" for programming a Pro-164 after rebanding, and I was afraid I was missing something.

I'll give your suggestions a try... it's funny how much I miss monitoring now that I know I can't do it like I used to.

Thanks again,

--Shawn

qlajlu

Silent Key
Thank you, qlajlu.

I appreciate the quick response. I thought I had a pretty good understanding of my equipment and what was happening, but there are a few posts out there that say things like ARC 300 software "works" for programming a Pro-164 after rebanding, and I was afraid I was missing something.

I'll give your suggestions a try... it's funny how much I miss monitoring now that I know I can't do it like I used to.

Thanks again,

--Shawn
Understand that what I have said is not from firsthand experience. Like you, I have had to research and because of that I must warn you that I am not personally familiar with your particular scanner. I've not seen what your refer to about the ARC software so I cannot say one way or the other. What I have told you is basically generic in form.

kf7yn

I don't think Win97 has a provision for rebanding but ARC-300 does. It shifts all the 866-869 freqs down 15 MHz so your scanner will follow properly. I would suggest downloading the trial version from http://www.butel.nl/ and program the first bank or two and if it works for you then buy the full version.
Be sure to check the rebanding box. I programmed a Pro-164 with ARC-300 and it's working fine on SL Simo.

WalkieTalkie

Premium Subscriber
I purchased the pro-164 today and programmed it using the arc300 software. As stated it programs the scanner. However it does scan the scanner but loses traffic when the cc channel reassigns the trunk scanner. At this time I do not believe there is an upgrade for the scanner to scan like the other scanners out there.

audioman3

More info please

I feel like and idiot! I've been listening to Davis County for 20 years and had no idea this re-banding was coming. I have a Pro-2096 and use win96. I've read several of the threads and I'm unclear of what to do. I think the scanner is capable of re-banding looking at the software. Any ideas?

kf7yn

On the "channels" page in Win96, check Moto 3600 CC 'Multi-Table', then put the following in the 'Extended Table' tab:
CH Lo / CH Hi / Base Freq / Offset / Step
440 / 559 / 851.0250 / 440 / 25.0
0 / 719 / 851.0125 / 0 / 25.0

Then put in the new data channels (main and alt) and you're all set!

Last edited:

mikey60

I guess that introduction was a bit long-winded, but here's what I understand, and I'm hoping someone reading can confirm this. Even though I've updated the UCAN frequencies from the recently updated database, because Motorola changed the channel spacing for its rebanded trunked systems, my Pro-164 can't scan Davis UCAN in trunked mode until I we get a firmware update from Radio Shack.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. The Pro-164 does not currently have a provision to handle rebanded systems. I would hope that a firmware update will be released soon that will resolve that issue.

Does this mean that my only option at this point is to scan conventionally? I have read some posts about other scanners that have custom trunking table settings that could allow them to work, but I believe these were exclusively digital scanners (Pro-96, newer GRE's).

It really depends on the frequencies in use on that particular site. By my understanding, the radio should track any frequencies in use on the site that have a 5 in the 4th decimal place (i.e. 853.01250). Any frequencies with a 0 in that location (i.e. 853.12500) will not track correctly (the scanner will attempt to tune to a frequency 15 MHz higher with the table that's in the radio).

Is anyone having any luck with rebanded systems and the Pro-164? If so, any suggestions?

Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I'm afraid the firmware update will be at least several months away.

I would hope it's not that far away. I haven't heard any news on any updates coming though.

Mike

ww7y

I feel like and idiot! I've been listening to Davis County for 20 years and had no idea this re-banding was coming. I have a Pro-2096 and use win96. I've read several of the threads and I'm unclear of what to do. I think the scanner is capable of re-banding looking at the software. Any ideas?

I wonder how many scanner owners woke up to silence one morning. Probably only a small minority are nuts like us and keep up with the latest. I was in radio shack in Layton last Saturday and a customer was asking the clerk about his Pro-95 scanner, which had "quit working". The clerk said he could reprogram it for him. I kept quiet.

qlajlu

Silent Key
I was in radio shack in Layton last Saturday and a customer was asking the clerk about his Pro-95 scanner, which had "quit working". The clerk said he could reprogram it for him. I kept quiet.
I don't care who you are, that is funny.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
The Radio Shack site for the PRO-164 shows a firmware update available. It is dated 8 Oct, and is version 1.04. Does this make a difference?

WalkieTalkie

Premium Subscriber
No it does not, the update is just a firmware updat that fixed some bugs with some frequencies. Hoever it does not fix the reband step frequency. So we wait!

k7hcp

Hello all,

Some quick background. I became interested in scanning in the early 90's (Uniden Bearcat BC200XLT that I still use now and then), and by the mid-90's I was into 2-meter/70-cm amateur radio (Yaesu FT-51, KC7KRZ).

I'm not exactly a newbie, but I'm somewhat out of touch in this decade. :)

In June of 2008 when the scanner bug started biting me again, I found that all of Davis County had (probably long since) gone to a Motorola trunked system, and I needed a new scanner. (Back in the mid 90's, trunked systems were somewhat novel, but I do remember conventionally scanning a Salt Lake International Airport trunked system back then...) So, back in June, I did my research, learned (from these very forums -- thank you all!) about the upcoming rebanding, and chose a Pro-164 because it was rebanding capable.

I programmed my Pro-164 using win 97 and a subscription to the Radio Reference database (thank you all, again!), and I have been enjoying it for months.

On the afternoon of December 4th, my cul-de-sac began to fill with paramedics, ambulances, and police. I grabbed my scanner and walked outside. A medical helicopter from the U of U was approaching... I turned on the Pro-164 and... radio silence.

As I learned from this forum, Davis UCAN was rebanded sometime during the evening of December 3rd. Perfect timing. :)

--Shawn

After UCAN Weber/Ogden rebanded the evening of December 09 2008 I also found my Pro-97 no longer would follow the Trunked signals. Knowing that the Pro-164 was on sale I rushed out to buy one. Was I ever surprized to find that the Pro-164 had the same problem as the older Pro-97. Then I found there was a firmware update for the Pro-163 and Pro-164 available for download from the RadioShack.com web site. My Pro-164 came at Version 1.02 and the download is Version 1.04. After updating the scanner I was so disappointed because it did NOT fix the problem either. The problem symptom is that the scanner fails to switch to or follow or trunk to the proper voice channel frequency when the frequency 4th KHz position(MMM.KKK#) ends in a zero (0). The voice channels that end in "5" all work OK.

Does anyone know what the future holds as far as an available fix to this problem?
Thanks in advance,
K7HCP

Status
Not open for further replies.