new talk group how do you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostdog

have been listen a lot and i got think how to you guy's know when there is a new talk group number . i know i am new and learning i whish i knew the rope like all of you thanks ghostdog

TBennettcc

Personally, I load my scanner with the Site(s) and Group(s) listed in the database, then I set my scanner to SEARCH (not scan) the trunked system, as defined here.

Because I load the Alpha tags into my scanner for the known talkgroup IDs, that means that any TGID that shows as only the TGID (i.e., no alpha tag), that TGID is new, because there is no alpha tag programmed into my scanner for that TGID.

Hope this helps.

73 and good luck.

Rolfman

There are several of us who use a program called trunker. It decodes the control channel information and shows every TGID as it hits the tower it is listening to.

qlajlu

Silent Key
have been listen a lot and i got think how to you guy's know when there is a new talk group number . i know i am new and learning i whish i knew the rope like all of you thanks ghostdog

There are several of us who use a program called trunker. It decodes the control channel information and shows every TGID as it hits the tower it is listening to.

Rolfman has given you the most used way of knowing today, but before that type of program was used it was a system of know your departments. We would scan in open mode so that any and all TGs on the system would be monitored. We have been listening long enough we know when one or two sounded out of the ordinary. We'd quickly jot down the TGID displayed by the scanner, check the Utah Database to see if that TGID had been placed there already. If it hadn't then it was a pretty good chance it was "unknown" or new and needed to be identified.

Programs like UniTrunker have definitely made finding new TGs much easier and gldavis is one of the best in finding them with others quickly closing the gap.

Since the Cache Valley changed over to UCAN, wbloss, gadgetmikey and others have been busy finding newly assigned TGs and getting them in the Database.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
Psr-500

I also use Unitrunker but they way I usually find them is with my PSR-500.

I have wildcards setup that audibly alert me when they are active. Then I have every TG in the UCAN system programed into the scanner so the only wildcards are things I don't have programmed. If I am scanning and an unknown goes active I hear a beep and then can look that TG up online later to make sure it is one that I just don't have programed.

Just a slightly different approach and it has been quite effective for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.