Upgrades Radio shack Pro 20-163/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlthse

Greeting to the members in utah UCAN net...
This is proply the incorrect site to ask this, however this is the most read site, I think...
Has anyone who own a radio shack pro 163 or 164 had their firmware upgraded, and if so please advise of your results...

gregfab

I have a couple of Pro 163's.

I picked them up after the rebanding of UCAN had started. I don't know if I need to or not, but I haven't sought a firmware update for either of them. They seem to work great for my application in Cache Valley, monitoring the 3-4 sites I can pick up while bee-bopping around Cache Valley and an ocassional trip to Tremonton area where I can pick up as far down as SL County Simo.

The only thing I wonder about as far as rebanding goes is that after switching over to Vista on my home computer that after I send the data to the radio via Win97 and it completes, I receive an error message on the scanner display. Manual review of the scanner shows me it did still program the data changes even after receiving the error. I haven't researched that because it hasn't resulted in programming failure by PC. I don't know if this is caused by a firmware mismatch, but it still programs so I haven't got too worried.

Overall I like the 163 a lot. I do have a Pro 160 as well. I really like the larger display on the Pro 160, but it doesn't seem to handle multiple control channels in one bank as nicely as the Pro 163's do. I have setup all of my scanners to scan only the site control channels and the 163's are very active whereas the 160 seems to get "confused" for lack of a better word, by the multiple control channels that I have programmed - or maybe for some other unkown reason - and it doesn't receive as actively as my 163's do.

After rambling on and on for a minute about comparing the 163 to the 160, then going back to read your original question to see if I was on track, I see that last paragraph was in left field. In case there is a chance that the issue is not caused by the multiple control channels on the 160 and someone knows why it seems to refuse to receive TG's from time to time with three sites being scanned, I hope piggy-backing this question on my reply is not too aggregious.

Thanks!

Last edited:

horntoad

Greeting to the members in utah UCAN net...
This is proply the incorrect site to ask this, however this is the most read site, I think...
Has anyone who own a radio shack pro 163 or 164 had their firmware upgraded, and if so please advise of your results...

YES. Go to RadioShack - mobile phones, MP3 players, laptops, and more in the search box type in pro 164. Then cilck on the picture of the scanner. Scroll down and you will find firmware upgrade 1.07 (337kb)

I hope this helps.

Are you familiar with WIN 97? If or anyone you know is I could use some help in the DEC, HEX, AFS section of the program.

Please feel free to email me at troy40@mstar.net

Thanks

John

Status
Not open for further replies.