Ucan site 51

Status
Not open for further replies.

k7kop

Premium Subscriber
On my way back from Rock Springs, Wyoming I found Site 51 China Ridge. It is above China Lake in the Uinta Mountains. The control channel is 852.8375. I was not in a position to run trunker so I don't have anymore information. I will submit this if nobody has a problem with it.

N7YUO

Updates Needed !

Ok all ye scannerheads, It appears to me that UCAN is growing faster than we are keeping up with it. When I query the FCC for "Utah Communications" I find more trunked (YE) sites that we have information on. K7KOP discovered China Ridge, but what about Elizabeth Mtn, Red Spur, Crawford Pk, Mt Baldy, Big Mtn, Toquerville Heights?

In addititon to the trunked sites, it would be nice to have some maps that show the conventional 800s sites. Maybe a northern map and a southern map like UCAN used to have.

I created a Google map of NE Utah. Using latitude & longitude from FCC, I placed markers on the map showing the location of most of the trunked sites. I could have done more, but it is after midnight, and I gotta go to work tomorrow.

Last edited:

k7kop

Premium Subscriber
I know Crawford, and Red Spur are not up and running. I was in Randolph a couple of weeks ago, and the only sites I could get were Lake Town, and Humpy Pk. Did not think to try and find Elizabeth Mtn. when I was there.

bchris

Site Updates

Mt Baldy is over the mountain from me (near Fairview), but I should know soon after it turns on. Big Mtn, Toquerville Heights, and Utah Hill are all in Washington County. The only one with a control channel active as of 4 days ago was Webb Hill, which is already in our DB.

While at home in Utah County about 10 days ago I heard the UCAN guys talking about testing the coverage in the St George area, and the conversation indicated that they were physically present there at that time. KF7YN was there last week and I have been down every couple weeks lately. No new CC's yet, but I'm sure we will know shortly after there are.

As a side note, I actually drove to the tower on Utah Hill about 6 weeks ago. Holy Crap!... 'Hill' is a bit of an understatement. If I ever go again it will be on an ATV, not in a Tahoe. I could hardly get to the top without getting butterflies, but turning around was impossible, so I made it. You can see forever in most directions. It was really cool.

The Toquerville tower you can pretty much see from I-15, so detecting it will be a no-brainer. I drove to the Big Mtn area about 10 weeks ago. I did not go to the tower, but the area sure is a nice drive. When the other sites come online, perhaps I will make that trip again.

Brent C.

Last edited:

N7YUO

In the course of my life, I have often had to eat my words,
and I must confess that I have always found it a wholesome diet.
Winston Churchill.
(I guess I kinda like that diet also!) Smitty

bchris

lots of room for dinner

In the course of my life, I have often had to eat my words,
and I must confess that I have always found it a wholesome diet.
Winston Churchill.
(I guess I kinda like that diet also!) Smitty

What are you talking about!!? Who had to eat any words?

I hope my post did not give that impression. If so, I am sorry. I was super excited to tell somebody about all the stuff I have [NOT] found! When I put forth some effort but come up w/ nothing, I assume nobody wants to hear about it, so I wait until I find something. By then someone else has usually found it first anyway.

I took your post to mean there was possibly some new sites, and did anyone know about them. I knew something about a few of them, so I spoke up. Thats how it's supposed to work, right? I dont think you had to eat anything. :cool:

-bc

Last edited:

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
Elizabeth Mtn

I'll be driving I-80 through Wyoming in a couple weeks and can listen for Elizabeth Mtn.

Smitty do you have the likely frequencies handy?

-Tim

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
Elizabeth Mtn site

FYI I added Elizabeth Mtn to the DB using license info ... just to make it easier for me to download it and check it when I drive I-80 through Wyoming next week. Are there any other sites I should listen for besides Elizabeth and China Ridge?

-Tim

N7YUO

I'll be driving I-80 through Wyoming in a couple weeks and can listen for Elizabeth Mtn.

Smitty do you have the likely frequencies handy?

-Tim

Those of us who have been at this from the beginning already know this,
but when it comes to 800 MHz, the local Frequency Coordinator (Steve Proctor of UCAN) has the authority to reassign frequencies to different locations to "prevent interference" If you compare the site freqs from the FCC records to the ACTUAL freqs in the RR DB, there is a lot of difference.
Long ago, some of us concluded that UCAN intentionally "shuffles" the freqs that they own so that anyone trying to look up their freqs in the FCC records will come up disappointed if they try to use them.

We will simply have to rely on members to "transmitter hunt" when they travel through areas where new sites are planned.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
Elizabeth Mountain

None of the frequencies assigned to Elizabeth Mountain (WQKZ452: 851.41250, 851.77500, 852.41250, 853.45000, 853.85000) were active yesterday, so I deleted the site for now.

-Tim

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
On my way back from Rock Springs, Wyoming I found Site 51 China Ridge. It is above China Lake in the Uinta Mountains. The control channel is 852.8375. I was not in a position to run trunker so I don't have anymore information. I will submit this if nobody has a problem with it.
I spent an hour on the Bear Lake overlook today - 7600' - was amazed to hear China 100% - "CHINA" showed up on the PSR500 alias/name. Using Unitrunker, it reported 856.9875 as alt control, but did not provide any other channel/freqs. I estimate this at 110 miles! (No ELizabeth heard). No calls heard, and it reports site 12 Med Butte and 41 Humpy as peers
W

Hooligan

I'm in Washington County on a regular basis, so will dig up the licensed freqs for the two new sites & advise when they go active.

Driving down I-15 past the Toquerville site yesterday, my BC-996XT just caught the 145.450MHz ham repeater & one of the 155.430 Washington County SO repeaters active from that site.

Tim

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Just info here, is you can or should be able to listen to any active or usable 800 MHZ Ucan I would assume that once a minute u should here a key up and drop. this would be in non trunking mode.

N7YUO

Key-ups of trunked frequencies

In some trunked systems, voice freqs are activated sequentially. Each time someone keys up, the next voice freq is used. Example: Umatilla Co, Oregon.
Other systems use an "Order of precidence" or whatever you want to call it. One freq is always the primary, another is secondary, etc.
I was scanning the Hill AFB freqs conventionally to determine their setup, and I discovered that once each minute the freqs would key-up for a second or two. There was never any voice. It was annoying.
I guess this is what enosjones was referring to in his post.

N7YUO

Status
Not open for further replies.