YES or NO for Play by Play Alerts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,

Obviously tonight we see there is some differing opinion about play by play when it comes to UtahAlerts on Twitter...

FOR Play by Play:
I don't have my scanner/radio and I can listen so it helps me keep up with what is happening

AGAINST Play by Play:
If I want to listen I will tune in end of story.

So what if we created another twitter feed specifically for Play by Play? We would still have the main alert feed (which over 1000 people follow). But after the initial alert is sent, it would move over to the other feed for the ongoing Play by Play. This would allow those that want play by play to get that while allowing those that don't want it the ability to just follow the main feed and only get the initial alert...

As the owner of the current feed, I am happy to create the Play by Play feed and can work with our "dispatchers" to give them the details on how to use it. But lets discuss and see the overall opinion on play by play and how many people want it and what dispatchers would use it.

taylorbrinton

Yes on play by play

I would love the play by play on a different feed. Then I can choose if I want to get the alerts sent to me or not.

This would help out so if I don't want the play by play to text me, like When I am in a meeting or something. Then I don't get interrupted.

I have the main account send a text and the play by play would not so I get the important alerts.

I say go for it.

Taylor

Signal6

Premium Subscriber
Yes on play by play

Well, this is just my opinion but I signed up for alerts on major incidents. I like the fact that I received a text informing me of the incident. At the time I was not near a radio and loved the fact that i received updates. Also I don't always want to listen to the incident however if something changes and I get an update I may choose to listen. In other words, we all signed up to be informed of events and that what this person was doing and I thank him for his continued updates.

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
Yes to Play by Play

I enjoy getting extra details on events. Keep up the good work!

LGLHOOK

I am for updates on the main feed as long as they dont get too carried away (maybe 1 or 2 updates max). I did not think that last nights updates were inapproprate at all. There were emerging details to a major event happening. I personally would not have sent as many, but I think that is up to the descression of the dispatcher sending the alerts. I am for the "update" feed but would probably rarely use it to be honest. Just my thoughts. Thanks to all who participate and send alerts, I do appreciate them.

WalkieTalkie

Premium Subscriber
Yes

I love the play by play, as one of the dispatchers out of the Tooele Valley I am grateful for the updates that are sent out to me informing me of the situation but not always do I continously recieve the play by play when I am at work. So I make sure that when I send alerts that there is detailed info. I am all for the feed for play by play.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I saw no problem with the "play by play" that occured the other night. I was appreciative of them.
I say yes.

ryanisflyboy

Premium Subscriber
Why don't we create a new feed called UtahSignals or something where people can post the play by play? That way those who wanna follow the play by play can, and those who don't can continue to enjoy the "initial notification only" style of alert. When you are the one posting, and wanna post a play by play, post to UtahAlerts with a "more at UtahSignals" so people know you'll be providing follow-ups there.

I do believe, however, that for MAJOR news events (huge multi-agency events), frequent updates are good. I recommend our policy should be to ALWAYS update if updating would increase public safety in some way, like area wide evacuation orders or something. Think of a major earthquake, riot, fire, etc. These are _very_ unlikely events, but if they do occur getting as much info out as possible can be crucial.

ryanisflyboy

Premium Subscriber
As is typical, I jumped the gun and set up a UtahSignals feed where people can post play-by-play. For those of you who want to do play-by-play feeds, please PM me and I'll do the best I can to get you all set up.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your efforts @ryanisflyboy but it sounds like the majority of people are ok with Play by Play and so in an effort to save confusion I would say that we just stick with one Twitter feed.

Those that are dispatching, just be mindful of what is sent and how often. Also if you have a smartphone and would like to use the HootSuite app to send out alerts, please let me know as I have UtahAlerts setup and can add you as a contributor. That is my preferred way to send as it is faster and doesn't rely on email. I also continue to look for a way for multiple people to be able to text an update. Twitter had talked about supporting it but as of yet has not rolled out that feature.

Utah_Viper

One thing that could be looked at is creating a UtahScanner app of some sort for Android and iPhone's. I personally like the play-by-play since the feeds do not cover much in SLC right now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.