A Little Confused and Unsure

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerizer

Premium Subscriber
Towards the end of the month, my travel will take me to beautiful, (sunny?) Salt Lake Valley. Where I travel also travels my Uniden BCD396XT. I found info for the UCAN and the Salt Lake City system. However, I do have a few questions.

1. With Salt Lake City Fire, I noted they have several channels Fire 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 all labeled Fire Dispatch. Gold Cross Ambulance and several other UCAN FDs have it listed that way. Can someone explain to me how SLC Fire and Gold Cross Ambulance uses their respective channels?

2. Why is Southwest Ambualnce listed on SLC TRS?

kmi8dy

i don't live there, i did take a look at the info, but one explanation is some of the other channels are tac channels or fire ground channels. it looks like gold cross ambulance could be a backup for the fire department. dispatched with the fd for standby purposes. rural metro looks to be dispatched by the county sheriffs department on their trs. very few rural metro ambulances are dispatched by a rural metro radio. we have them here were i live and there closest office is 50 miles away. so our sheriffs office dispatches on their p25-1 system.

m00se

slc fire 1 is for day to day dispatch and for fire and gold cross responding to fire & medical calls in slc
fire 2 is for a working incidents (fire/hazmat/ect)
fire 3 is use as a car to car type channel.
fire 4 and 5 are used by sandy city fire like channel 1 & 2.
6 and up are tac channels.

gold cross channel 1 is for assigning ambulances to slc 911 calls and moving units around in slc. Really no point in monitoring this, gca crews respond on fire 1/2 too, get details, and interact with dispatch on fire channels.
gc 2 is for inter-facility calls in salt lake and utah co. lots of airtime is used moving units around to different posting locations so you'll likely miss stuff from more important channels if you listen to this.
gc 3 is for long distance transports and standbys.
gc 4 is for washington co.
gc 5 is for iron co.

Southwest used to run with slc fire. They haven't for around six years or so. Those talkgroups just haven't been removed yet. They aren't active at all.

Bottom line: listening to slc fire 1 and 2 will get you 99% of the fire/ems traffic in slc.

Status
Not open for further replies.