SL Co SO Mountain C2C 163.2375

Status
Not open for further replies.

shootinnews

Premium Subscriber
I was up in Big Cottonwood yesterday using close call and found Salt Lake County Sheriff using 163.2375 for there Car 2 Car. I talked with one of the officers and he said that was there Car 2 Car when up Big & Little because the 800mhz doesn't work.

I looked in the DB and didn't see it posted, thought I would pass it by everyone else to see if they have any 2'cents to throw in on this before adding it to the DB?

Thanks

Ill get the tone next time I'm up there if there is one!

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I checked the FCC site, and it has no mention of this freq. It is in the Federal Non-Military LMR band. I wonder why Sheriffs office is using a Federal Freq? Maybe a holdover from the Olympics? Interesting.

shootinnews

Premium Subscriber
I was thinking it is a USFS freq that they use with USFS. With you thinking it is Fed Freq, I think this may be the case. Your thoughts?

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
163.2375 MHz

Interesting. I checked my personal DB and I have a note on 163.2375: "203.5 Hz reported from Snowbird." I think this came from a list that someone else gave me a couple years ago. I have no record of that frequency being on any USFS or BLM list, nor have I logged it myself. I'll add it to my scanning list for when I go skiing at Alta later this month.

I did a search of radio files on my computer and found the following in a document called Allocations, Allotments and Plans (SPECTRUM_PLAN_9_2000.pdf): "US216--The frequencies 150.775 and 150.790, and the bands 152-152.0150, 163.2375-163.2625, 462.9375-463.1875, and 467.9375-468.1875 MHz are authorized for government/non-Government operations in medical radio communications systems." So maybe this frequency is part of a special allocation apart from the regular federal band.

-Tim

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
That is interesting I will have to program it in...

I do know that SLCo SAR has the same issues but they use 155.160

shootinnews

Premium Subscriber
Fyi

I didnt mention that this seamed to be a line of sight channel and you will more then likely need to be within a couple of miles from the transmitting location in order to receive a signal, just FYI as I'm sure most know this allready.

brandon

Database Admin
Last summer I logged 163.2375 C203.5 at the top of the Snowbird Hidden Peak tram with close call. Maybe the repeater up there so it probably can be heard from the valley too.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin

brandon said:
Last summer I logged 163.2375 C203.5 at the top of the Snowbird Hidden Peak tram with close call. Maybe the repeater up there so it probably can be heard from the valley too.

Brandon, you must be the source of my note on the frequency. I think you posted it with a list of Snowbird repeaters, which added to the list I'd submitted earlier. Correct?

163.2375 seems like a strange frequency for a state repeater, so maybe it's just car-to-car simplex. But then...why wouldn't they use 155.505 or something like that? Strange!

-Tim

Gilligan

Database Admin
Maybe they have the Snowbird repeater in their radios and a talkaround version of it as well. And they may not even realize it is a repeater output freq.

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
Cache Co

Heard encoded/scrambled comms on this freq today and other times, usinf P25 digital with a NAC of 293...probably NOT the use noted above.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
Heard encoded/scrambled comms on this freq today and other times, usinf P25 digital with a NAC of 293...probably NOT the use noted above.

Probably not. I heard the usual informal SO chatter on it in Little Cottonwood Canyon last month.

kf7yn

A former SO Deputy who was involved with comms told me about 10 years ago the SO got authorization for this freq but I can't remember the details. They kept some of their old VHF radios to use in the canyons. If I can get in touch with him, I'll try to get more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.