close encounters...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9rzz

Yeah - microphone/speaker feedback.

Back in college one of the boys used to do this on the 20 meter slow scan TV frequency. Some guys didn't recognize it as feedback and would say "Boy Old Man, there's something wrong with your sync., I'm getting nothing on this end!".
icon10.gif

ridgescan

So you're saying some asshat has him an HF TXr and is playing tricks on the poor unsuspecting SWLs like me? So since it is the same frequency as that "whale" thingy then that is a hoax too right?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I can't say what it is but it's NOT feedback, that is one horrible screeching sound. Try moving the dial slightly and note the pitch change, it may be a carrier shift beating against the BFO/product detector. Just listening to a recording says nothing, one must be at the controls to properly analyze it, preferably with a pan scope.

ridgescan

Hey Warren-I did that before the video and it had the same characteristics but with higher and lower tones on either end which wound me up centered on 6837-that same frequency as the "whale" signal. Just for fun I just tuned that frequency now and heard a high pitched farty sound:D this frequency is pretty entertaining. I am going to watch this one tonight.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I guess that confirms carrier shift but what it is remains a mystery unless you can accept this explanation. I've said that (something) is so sensitive it can hear a fly fart a mile away, it seems you have a receiver with even greater capability.

mkrubsack

I am hearing it on 6837kHz USB now. Same as Ridgescan's video.

I looked that frequency up in my copy of Klingenfuss' 2011/2012 Guide To Utility Radio Stations, it's listed there as:
NATO digital data station, STANAG 4285: 1536 encrypted tfc.
Wikipedia says:
STANAG 4285 Characteristics of 1200/2400/3600 bps single tone MODEMs for HF radio links
YouTube has video so you can hear STANAG 4285

I don't believe that is what I'm hearing. It's also not a weather fax.

A previous post has info on it:
http://forums.radioreference.com/utility-listening/189160-6837.html#post1371078

Last edited:

ridgescan

I am hearing it on 6837kHz USB now. Same as Ridgescan's video.

I looked that frequency up in my copy of Klingenfuss' 2011/2012 Guide To Utility Radio Stations, it's listed there as:
NATO digital data station, STANAG 4285: 1536 encrypted tfc.
Wikipedia says:
STANAG 4285 Characteristics of 1200/2400/3600 bps single tone MODEMs for HF radio links
YouTube has video so you can hear STANAG 4285

I don't believe that is what I'm hearing. It's also not a weather fax.

A previous post has info on it:
http://forums.radioreference.com/utility-listening/189160-6837.html#post1371078

The thing about this thing is that folks theorize that it's "feedback" or "loopback" etc-seemingly accidental happenings-but yet it continues on the same frequency at the same nightly timespan. If it's an unwanted thing-why hasn't it been corrected? I remember someone saying it may be submarinal?
Tonight it doesn't sound like a whale-unless that's what a really sad whale sounds like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-R1giDoJmI

Last edited:

mkrubsack

I am hearing exactly the same thing.

I can't make it out in AM mode, but under LSB, USB, and CW, it's there.

I checked again at 0755UTC, and it is generally about S-3 to 5 but peaks at times to S-9 here with some QSB.

Do you think it might be a natural phenomenon caused by space weather? We've been having a lot of solar activity lately. One thought I have, is that it sounds almost like the radio equivalent of the northern lights...the way it changes in modulation.

Last edited:

DPD1

The the usual "backwards music" thing. It's some form of feedback. But if it's created through actual audio, then somebody is manipulating it. Because it wouldn't keep changing like that. It would peak at one frequency and lock up. Or, it's being created within the device itself, through external means. My guess is there's some inherent combination of things that create the situation for it to happen. It could be a common collection of mil radio equipment, duplicated on various platforms, that is predisposed to having it occur... which is why you get the random occurrences so often. Simply turning an amp on or off during routine exercises or something, would start it and stop it. The actual operators may not even hear it.

But it's hard to know, because there's probably people playing games and copying it.

ridgescan

Definately sounds like feedback-but here's my thinking-been going on a heck of a long time-we aint the only ones who can hear it. Why when you google the frequency-nothing stands out as an explanation? If someone is manipulating it-why bother for so long and for what reason? Why hasn't it been killed by the FCC if it's a prank? It is always on this frequency and pretty much 24/7. That makes me think it's fallout of something else-it used to sound like whales-not any more. Well-off to go digging around some more for some explanation.

Sol100

Ridgescan - They're back-6836khz usb
Have heard a Japanese rebroadcast of a satellite pic (grey scale) sound like this on WXFAX.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.