RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > Utility Listening

Utility Listening Discussions regarding monitoring government, military, aircraft, ship, and other misc communications in the HF/MW/LF bands.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 4:53 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I forgot to put it in here that someone commented on my HAARP video last week that he has be hearing it lately. I haven't been here to search the bands for it lately.
'54 Hallicrafters SX-88 #127; Icoms R71A&R75, on a Wellbrook ALA1530s+ loop @ 50'
RS Pro 2066 in truck to thru-glass Larsen Tribander
Sponsored links
Old 04-23-2014, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb5zcs View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is 33 of these things around the world,now we know why our weather has been so weird this year the one in Alaska is not the only one .......

Errr...no, there is only one HAARP, and it is located in Gakona, Alaska. There are several atmospheric research projects around the World that include atmospheric heating, but essentially none are in the same power class as "the" HAARP. In fact, most of the other "HAARPs" that people point to run no more power than some shortwave broadcast stations that have been on the air for decades.

T!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:49 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Active right now on 5800. Time check 0349.
Also had the sweeper about an hour ago on 5 megs.
Old 04-26-2014, 9:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

What freq range are you seeing the sweep cover?
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon View Post
Active right now on 5800. Time check 0349.
Also had the sweeper about an hour ago on 5 megs.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:17 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The reason I'm asking is I pick up sweeping signals from about 5.186 to 5.211Mhz and 5.220 to 5.247Mhz which I tracked down to HF radar for coastal ocean current monitoring, specifically a site on San Clemente Island which can probably be heard over much of Southern CA.

I became aware of this type of HF radar when I found an odd looking antenna overlooking the ocean in my town and with a lot of Internet searching I found it was for a 25MHz range HF radar which has a huge signal at my house since its line of site. Further research found a bunch of other sites on the California coast covering the 4 to 25MHz range and I am able to tune the frequencies and watch the sweeping signals on an HF receiver with panadapter.

I've also herd the same signals sweeping through the 60m amateur band near Boston, MA and found a web site discussing the interference. I pointed the discussion group to the company that runs the radar sites and they apparently moved the Boston area 5MHz radar away from the 60m ham band.

Please let us know the frequency range of any sweepers that are assumed to be HAARP.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
What freq range are you seeing the sweep cover?
prcguy
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2014, 12:47 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

HAARP-Like Ionospheric Research Project Underway at Arecibo Observatory
Old 04-27-2014, 2:29 AM
Database Admin

Hi prcguy,

I just saw it again tonight (0625z). Sweeper went from 5460 to 5660.

Old 04-27-2014, 2:31 AM
Database Admin

~0629Z signal was on 5800

Old 04-27-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
The reason I'm asking is I pick up sweeping signals from about 5.186 to 5.211Mhz and 5.220 to 5.247Mhz which I tracked down to HF radar for coastal ocean current monitoring, specifically a site on San Clemente Island which can probably be heard over much of Southern CA.

I became aware of this type of HF radar when I found an odd looking antenna overlooking the ocean in my town and with a lot of Internet searching I found it was for a 25MHz range HF radar which has a huge signal at my house since its line of site. Further research found a bunch of other sites on the California coast covering the 4 to 25MHz range and I am able to tune the frequencies and watch the sweeping signals on an HF receiver with panadapter.

I've also herd the same signals sweeping through the 60m amateur band near Boston, MA and found a web site discussing the interference. I pointed the discussion group to the company that runs the radar sites and they apparently moved the Boston area 5MHz radar away from the 60m ham band.

Please let us know the frequency range of any sweepers that are assumed to be HAARP.
prcguy
prcguy, when HAARP sweeps frequency (as opposed to modulation) it sweeps very slow by comparison to CODAR (the coastal radars you are describing). It is impossible to confuse the two signals. Also, CODAR is rather well known to any regular utility listener.

Also, these activities are more than assumed to be HAARP, they are as near to a sure thing as it can be without someone at HAARP saying “yep, that’s us”. Back when HAARP was more completely funded they had a web site. On that site was a local spectrum monitor. On that monitor you could see every time they brought the transmitter online. And these signals were correlated to those times and frequencies. Today the web site is not active, but the signals are the same.

T!
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2014, 4:19 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

HAARP is up early this morning... looks like between 4300 and 4400 khz @ 0820z on 4/29/2014
Old 06-05-2014, 1:28 AM
Database Admin

Up again the past few nights. Active this hour on 5800kHz --- pretty wide at times too.

Old 06-25-2014, 2:38 PM

I thought HAARP was closed down and was going to be dismantled?

Conspiracy Theories Abound as U.S. Military Closes HAARP - NBC News

Air Force prepares to dismantle HAARP ahead of summer shutdown | State News | ADN.com <- Summer shut down. Got it...

I guess they are still up obviously. Might have to do some tuning in that case
Old 06-25-2014, 2:41 PM

HAARP got a 1 year reprieve from being shutdown to allow for the University of Alaska Fairbanks to come up with a viable funding model.

I sure hope they come up with something workable for the long term.