Numbers station on 12182

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Database Admin
Hey folks

Stumbled across this Spanish language numbers station on 12182 kHz USB at 0528z. Transmission was already in progress with a female reading 5 figure groups in Spanish and signed off with 000 000.

I uploaded an audio clip here
HDSDR_20110508_052800Z_12182kHz_AF.mp3

Hazlett from #wunclub translated the following: "53202 88582 77323 10263 38567 44715 73774 60569 20680 000 000". It was suggested it might be V07 but not 100% sure.

Thanks for any help.

Brandon

Nice you should also listen to 5.888 Mhz I believe you can make it out in AM and do not need to tune into SSB. It is a Spanish number station I get from time to time here in Michigan week signal but can still make it out. This one ends with " Final Final Final ".

chrizby

got one at 5.9 Mhz at 8:27z This one is kind of odd in that I can use am, fm or ssb. and still understand the signal. Let me just say that I am pretty sure that is odd.
Female voice reading numbers.

she finished up with goodnight goodnight goodnight at 8:42z

0 the carrier signal persisted until 8:50z

Last edited:

Token

Nice you should also listen to 5.888 Mhz I believe you can make it out in AM and do not need to tune into SSB. It is a Spanish number station I get from time to time here in Michigan week signal but can still make it out. This one ends with " Final Final Final ".

instrumentphilip, are you sure you mean 5888 kHz, and not 5898 kHz? V02a has a regular schedule on 5898 kHz in AM mode, and ends as you describe it.

T!

Token

Brandon, V07 sounds like a real possibility, and it has not been reported in a while that I know of. Not only is the ending right, but most reports have been on frequencies near that range. However, the most popular time period is an hour after your report, between 0600 and 0700.

When you were listening did you try AM mode also? V07 has almost universally been reported as AM.

T!

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
Big carrier on 5898 about 0500z today but the lady must have thrown a sickie - no speaking and the carrier went off later. About as exciting as watching paint dry.......:)

Okay well too" Chrizby" that is very interesting... Is that a Female Spanish voice?

And To Token....

Hey Token, I might mean that I know that it bleeds enough to my location enough that I can hear it clearly on 5.888 AM 5.898 AM could work I am sure when I tuned up that I could hear it there.

chrizby

Yes. In Spanish. That was the first time for me to try to listen to a numbers station using all three modes. So I don't have much to go on, to judge whether that is unique or not.

Why do I find these numbers stations so interesting?

Token

got one at 5.9 Mhz at 8:27z This one is kind of odd in that I can use am, fm or ssb. and still understand the signal. Let me just say that I am pretty sure that is odd.
Female voice reading numbers.

she finished up with goodnight goodnight goodnight at 8:42z

0 the carrier signal persisted until 8:50z

A signal that is transmitted in AM mode can be understood perfectly in SSB (both USB and LSB assuming the signal is actually full DSB AM) and quite often in FM mode with only a slight reduction in audio signal level. The more poorly maintained the transmitter the more likely it is to sound even better in FM.

The transmission you are describing is most likely V02a, the Cuban numbers station. However, the "goodnight" ending is not correct for V02a, V02a should end in “finish” (in Spanish, “final” machine-pronounced roughly “fin-igh”, could be mistaken for “goodnight” I suppose) do you have a recording? Also, the frequency should probably be 5898 kHz, and not 5900 kHz. I am assuming that your “5.9 MHz” is actually 5.900 MHz (or 5900 kHz), and has not been rounded off.

Several people have miss-reported the frequency as 5900 kHz, and the why's and how's of that have been discussed in the forums a few times. So far I have seen no recordings that confirm V02a on 5900 kHz in recent years, every recording I have seen that indicated 5900 kHz could be explained as mistuned or broad receiver passband.

Here is a video of an SDR tuning V02a last month, the recording was done to address this very issue ( YouTube - Spanish Numbers station V02a, April 05, 2011, 0801 UTC, 5898 kHz AM ). Note that the AM carrier is visibly on 5898 kHz on the waterfall display. The video starts with the receiver in AM mode and tuned to 5898 kHz. 21 seconds into the video the receiver is switched to LSB mode. 35 seconds into the video the receiver is switched to USB mode. At 50 seconds into the video with the receiver still in USB mode the receiver is tuned off the signal, showing one method of "zero beating" an AM carrier to find the real center frequency. The "zero beat" process is complete at 1 minute into the video. At 1 minute and 5 seconds into the video the mode is changed back to AM. At 1 minute 10 seconds into the video the receiver is tuned to 5900 kHz, showing that the signal still sounds "tuned" in AM and the signal level on the meter remains the same even though we know the real center frequency is 5898 kHz, and at 1 minute and 31 seconds the receiver is tuned back to the center frequency of 5898 kHz. One could even argue that it sounds "better" at 5900 because there is less interference from the Link-11 and broadcast signals just below 5898 kHz. A slightly wider receiver passband would even remove the slight audio reduction that happened when this specific receiver was tuned to 5900 kHz.

T!

KJ6NWU

Premium Subscriber
I had been hearing her regularly on Friday nights at 5.898, but haven't heard her lately. I'll have to start checking around 12.182 now to see if I can find her again. Her voice is hypnotic and creepy.

DEAD ON TOKEN !

That is exactly the same station that I pick up here in Michigan. How do you know that it is V02a? And what exactly is it? Feel free to PM me.

Token

DEAD ON TOKEN !

That is exactly the same station that I pick up here in Michigan. How do you know that it is V02a? And what exactly is it? Feel free to PM me.

Philip,

V02a is a “numbers station” that is transmitted from Cuba, and it is generally believed to be a secure “one way link” to assets in the field, as are most numbers stations. A simple way of putting it is someone is using a coded message to send information to other people. This technique is virtually secure; there is basically no way to know who is receiving the message. There is actually documentation that strongly supports the fact of this particular numbers station being used to send information to spies, most numbers stations are only suspected of that activity with no corroborative evidence.

So, why “V02a”? V02a refers to the “a” variant of a numbers station that has been given the designator “V02”.

There are several groups of radio hobbyist that are very interested in number stations. Probably the longest running, most active, and most professional in approach is called “Enigma 2000”, sometimes abbreviated E2k.

As you have seen in this thread, saying “I heard a female voice saying 5 number groups” can be confusing, what specific station did you hear? Have others heard the same station before? Also, you might note that brandon says “V07 has been suggested” and I agree that is the most likely ID, but other users, including yourself, are thinking of or have heard V02a and might be assuming the station he heard is the same station you heard. The reason is simple; both stations use a female voice, in Spanish, sending 5 figure number groups.

Because so many numbers stations are similar the E2k “designator” system was developed and is widely used, all E2k designators are assigned only through the E2k group, although some similar non-E2k designators are also in use, such as "VC01" for a psuedo numbers station called the "Chinese Robot". Although many stations are very similar most numbers stations actually have unique habits and formats. In the case of V02a and V07, while many things are similar, the beginning and end of each is different. V07 ends in “zero, zero, zero … zero, zero, zero” (all in Spanish, naturally), while V02a ends in “finish, finish, finish”, also in Spanish. Also the beginning of each is different, V07 starts with a three number designator sent several times, while V02a starts with “Atencion” and three 5 number groups sent several times.

As you can see, it would be a pain to fully describe each station every time you mention it with enough detail so another listener would know which station you heard at that time and frequency. But, say “V02a” and a person who knows the designator system can also know exactly what station you heard, or they can look it up in the ECL.

The E2k group publishes what they call the “Enigma Control List”, or ECL. A new list is published periodically to try and keep up with changes in the numbers stations, it is currently on version 25 I think. The E2k group also publishes a newsletter every other month, listing the most recent known reception reports and other items of interest to numbers station listeners. Their web site is here: ENIGMA2000 The newsletters, the ECL, and other related reference material can be downloaded from that site.

Another “group” that tracks numbers stations is the “Numbers and Oddities” web site ( Numbers stations & Oddities ), you might find some interesting information there, and they also publish a newsletter. There is also another web site with a good bit of information on these stations and a searchable database of past reported receptions, http://www.spynumbers.com/ Yet another web site / group that is paying attention to numbers stations is the web site Priyom.org (Priyom.org - Priyom.org ). Priyom.org are, for the most part, newcomers to the hobby, but their web site is really taking shape, and growing nearly daily, and they are showing much enthusiasm.

Also, just to clarify, I believe what brandon heard, and what he has reported here is NOT V02a, but rather it is more likely to be V07. That is very interesting because V07 has not been reported in a while that I know of, maybe a couple of years. So brandon got himself a good catch there.

T!

(I got your PM and wrote this to answer there, but decided it might be useful to others who are unsure of what numbers stations are or what the designator system is.)

PS, also sorry brandon, did not mean to monopolize your thread.

Last edited:

brandon

Database Admin
No worries. I always enjoy your wealth of info about numbers stations. :)

Oh okay, well thank you very much Token. I will check out these sites when I get some free time. Probably this weekend.

Thanks a lot Token,

Philip

Token

Brandon, any more on this station? I have recorded that chunk of spectrum nightly from 0400 to 0800 and not seen it here yet.

By the way, one of the past frequencies for V07 was 12179 kHz, so very interesting that it may have come back just 3 kHz away.

T!

brandon

Database Admin
Brandon, any more on this station? I have recorded that chunk of spectrum nightly from 0400 to 0800 and not seen it here yet.

By the way, one of the past frequencies for V07 was 12179 kHz, so very interesting that it may have come back just 3 kHz away.

T!

Hey Token. Unfortunately I have not heard it anymore. Checked this freq most evenings/nights around that time and had no luck.

Token

So last month it was on the last Saturday of the month on 12182, and this month it was on the last Sunday of the month on 11182. Very interesting. And it sounds very much like V07, if you can catch the fornt end we can know for sure. If it was me I would be calling it "probable V07" in my log.

I still have not caught this station, probably because I am seldom at the radio in that time frame. Also, I saw your post to #wunclub about it, wish I ahd been up to catch it...DOH!

T!

Token

Stumbled across this Spanish language numbers station on 12182 kHz USB at 0528z. Transmission was already in progress with a female reading 5 figure groups in Spanish and signed off with 000 000.

I uploaded an audio clip here
HDSDR_20110508_052800Z_12182kHz_AF.mp3

Hazlett from #wunclub translated the following: "53202 88582 77323 10263 38567 44715 73774 60569 20680 000 000". It was suggested it might be V07 but not 100% sure.

Brandon, I really think V07 is the answer. The header and ending are identical to the description and examples on the E2k site. I just went through some of my past SDR recordings. It turns out the next Sunday (05/15/2011 at 0520 UTC) I got the same station on the same freq (12182 kHz), in the same time slot that you reported. And I got the whole thing so we can hear the beginning.

http://www.token.hpathome.net/SharedFiles/AudTfer/V07_12182_USB_2011_05_15_0520.mp3

Now, this is interesting, in the past it was reported most often from Europe, but this signal was booming in here, so I find it unlikely it originates in Europe or near that region.

Its habits are to send at time XX00 on one frequency, another freq at time XX20, and another at time XX40. Typically the frequencies go up for each of the three time slots, so that the XX00 freq is the lowest and the XX40 time freq is the highest. Also, the freqs change over the months of the year, so that it is unlikely the freq you caught last month (11182 kHz) will be used this month but it is possible. In past history the station never used a frequency more than two months in a row, and never returned to a previously used frequency.

Also, the fact that you have caught it at both 0520 and 0720, both on Sunday, is a bit unusual. In the past it was only reported for one time frame on a specific day, and that did not change across the year.

Time to go after this one a bit more vigorously I think.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.