Numbers on 9240

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I was listening at around 1030 UTC or so today and I found a very strong and very clear Spanish-language numbers station coming in on 9240. It lasted until 1100 or so. I've never heard it before. I didn't get a chance to record the numbers, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Token

This is a known time and frequency for V02a, so I suspect that is what you received, Cuban numbers station V02a. Fortunately the V02a schedule is very well known and predictable, unlike some other numbers stations.

For future reference, a little more detail might help with an ID. Language, time, and frequency are a great starting point, but also male or female voice, mode of transmission (AM, USB, LSB), and number of numbers said per group, along with anything else about the signal (like ending in Spanish "final" being said three times). All of those can help narrow the possible answers down, or confirm a good hunch.

T!

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
As I mentioned in my original post, it was a female speaking Spanish. I think I might have heard this one before--many years ago. I remember playing with my Grundig Yacht Boy YB350 and finding a frequency (it might have been 9240) around 2000 UTC or so, and it was the same female voice and said, "final, final, final" and ended each set with either a "0" or "1" (my memory isn't that great). Oh, and it was plain AM, not LSB or USB. Also, like the one a received many years ago, the signal was fairly strong, and yesterday's pegged the signal level needle at around 9 or +10 dB. It was very, very clear. Unfortunately, I rarely get up that early (I only started listening because I couldn't get back to sleep for some reason). By the way, what is V02a's schedule?

Last edited:

Token

As I mentioned in my original post, it was a female speaking Spanish. I think I might have heard this one before--many years ago. I remember playing with my Grundig Yacht Boy YB350 and finding a frequency (it might have been 9240) around 2000 UTC or so, and it was the same female voice and said, "final, final, final" and ended each set with either a "0" or "1" (my memory isn't that great). Oh, and it was plain AM, not LSB or USB. Also, like the one a received many years ago, the signal was fairly strong, and yesterday's pegged the signal level needle at around 9 or +10 dB. It was very, very clear. Unfortunately, I rarely get up that early (I only started listening because I couldn't get back to sleep for some reason). By the way, what is V02a's schedule?

I don't see female in your original post, but I see you edited it a couple of minutes after you first sent it, possibly you deleted female accidentally and I saw it after the edit.

Regardless, yes, V02 is very strong in the eastern and southern US, since it originates from Cuba. It is generally medium to strong in the rest of the US and southern Canada. So for a North American listener V02 and its sister stations M08 and SK01 are good selections for easy numbers stations reception.

What you are describing having received before was most probably V02, even without knowing real time, date, or frequency. Here are a couple of examples of portions of V02a from my You Tube channel: YouTube - ‪Spanish numbers station V2a, December 20, 2008, 17435 kHz AM‬‏ and YouTube - ‪Spanish Numbers station V02a, April 05, 2011, 0801 UTC, 5898 kHz AM‬‏ There are a few examples of other numbers stations as well as some general radio stuff on the other videos on my channel.

V02’s schedule is, as I said, fairly well known. However, that does not necessarily mean there is a single web page or reference I can give you to go look it up. You might have to do a little digging yourself. V02/M08/SK01 use multiple frequencies across a 24 hour period. Also, some frequency and time slot combinations are only used on certain days of the week. For example, hearing a station on 9240 kHz today at 1000 UTC does not mean you will hear that station tomorrow on the same frequency and at the same time (you might, also), but does mean you will probably hear it one week later. Some other numbers stations do the same thing, while some broadcast every day in the same time slots. Still others are tied to day of the month, vs day of the week. Each station or family of stations has unique operating habits.

The Enigma 2000 newsletters (can be downloaded from their site ENIGMA2000 ) sometimes have schedules in them. More importantly, the newsletters have recent past reception reports in them, making it possible to confirm that the station has been on that frequency in that time period before. The Enigma 2000 web site also has other interesting reference material on it, including the Enigma Control List defining what each designated station is.

Another resource for past receptions is the Spy Numbers Database (Spy Numbers Station Database ), there you can search by frequency, day, time, station Enigma ID, or several other values. When using the Spy Numbers DB keep in mind that stations change habits over time, so a report of a station on a frequency and time 3 years ago does not mean it is there at this time. Look for recent dates in the data as the most applicable reports for predicting near future activities.

Another excellent resource for past data, examples, and guidelines, is the Numbers and Oddities web site (Numbers stations & Oddities ). The N&O newsletter as well as the E2k newsletter can be downloaded from this site.

And the newest resource I am aware of on the web for numbers stations is the Priyom.org web site (Priyom.org - Priyom.org ). This is a relatively new web site run by a group of new numbers listeners. They have done significant work to put together a heck of a resource in the short time it has been around. They include on their front page a calendar with predictions of numbers stations transmissions. Keep in mind the most active participants, and the originators of the site, are European, so the focus is on numbers stations that are most easily received in Europe. V02/M08/SK01 are seldom mentioned, as are the Asian numbers stations.

There are many other good web pages and web resources for numbers stations out there, but the 4 I listed above are my first “go to” sites.

T!

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. Come to think of it, 9240 is the first numbers station I've heard in years, despite the fact that I've been listening almost daily since November when I got my Satellit 750.

Status
Not open for further replies.