6.9590 Mhz LSB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fast1eddie

8/6/11
0120 UTC
6.9590 LSB

Been monitoring hispanic speaking males on this frequency on and off for about the last hour, CB style comms, lots of whistling and such. Went quiet for about 15-20 minutes with a new group starting comms.

They tend to drift a little, although my radio is showing it's age and need to go over it.

Any information on this???

Kenwood R2000
Par End Fed SWL (Sloper)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Possibly fishing vessels...likely off the NY/NJ coast area somewhere. They can and do pop up anywhere, using illegally modified ham gear in many cases.

Unfortunately they don't realize that most ham gear can't take a salt water environment, but they really don't care. Sometimes it's a once and done affair - they dump the radios and just get different ones off the grey market. Not all that uncommon an occurrence.

best regards..Mike

Fast1eddie

Mike, thanks for the tip. Remained on freq for several hours after posting; they would come and go. Eventually noise level became high and I had enough.

I was looking for pirates and such.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I heard the same possible group last evening around 0400 hours but they were on 6900.0 LSB. Spanish also. Two guys at least sounded like they were just shooting the bull.

midnightcowboy

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Me too. Used to be 6.890 mhz. Voice of America used as a "conduit" or something like that in effect by Carribean country. I don't have to tell u..you know..

br4k3r

Premium Subscriber
are you sure it wasn't codan voice? or some other similar voice encryption... the whistling usually is a call-up for the fishing vessels or it's a sync for encryption.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
are you sure it wasn't codan voice? or some other similar voice encryption... the whistling usually is a call-up for the fishing vessels or it's a sync for encryption.

Positive. What I heard was very clear human speech in Spanish with a lot of laughter and all. The LSB part was odd but they are likely using modified ham rigs that default to LSB below 10 MHz. This band is known for pirate radio and illegal fishing boat chatter.
I can't say what the others heard on 6959 but Codan is pretty easy to distinguish from normal speech regardless of language.

br4k3r

Premium Subscriber
Ok, just checking. Wanted to rule out all possibilities. I'd love to hear a recording of the transmission, I am familiar with the Spanish HF nets and could probably give you some insight beyond the normal listener.

Token

This range of frequencies is also used extensively, and without authorization, by fishing vessels off of the coasts of Mexico.

I just call them "peskies" (a bastardization of the Spanish "los pescadores", or fishermen), and run across them every night while monitoring the 6800 to 7000 range for pirate transmissions. I find them on both LSB and USB. Right this minute, while typing this, I see a couple on 6935 USB, and 6947 LSB.

T!

midnightcowboy

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

Monitoring Times declared that DGI went into complete radio silence. And this 6.9 mhz is living proof. Why? Because it goes into partial radio silence..

Status
Not open for further replies.