Yes another EAM but weird comms

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT

KD9KSO

I can't tell you what it is, but...
It isn't an EAM from Global Strike Command for the Minuteman III system. Different message format.

jsoergel

"REACH 8050 on 11175." RCH8050 (C-17A, 98-0050) was making a call on HF.

EAM broadcasts sometimes interrupt comms on the HFGCS. It's not uncommon to hear users wait for the EAM to finish before they are able to talk.

Token

The hierarchy is supposed to be, normal traffic yields to EAMs, EAMs yield to Skykings, and Skykings yield to nothing. Skykings might yield to safety of flight issues, however they are so short in duration I have never heard one unkey for anything other than a technical issue.

T!

Hooligan

The hierarchy is supposed to be, normal traffic yields to EAMs, EAMs yield to Skykings, and Skykings yield to nothing. Skykings might yield to safety of flight issues, however they are so short in duration I have never heard one unkey for anything other than a technical issue.

T!

EAMs are Flash Override precedence -- the highest priority, and many comm systems are set up for what's known as ruthless preemption -- a Flash Override message will seize the comm circuit for the EAM transmission, no matter what other comms may have been taking place by another user (including safety of life). That's a reason safety of flight/safety of life comms could be switched to a discrete freq whenever possible.

Back during the SAC Giant Talk network days, EAMs were given out at standard time periods, in addition of course to the potential for an EAM to be given out at any time. The routine EAM broadcast windows were known as "Alpha Monitor" periods, Alpha being a code for SIOP forces.

I believe what you're referring to as "Skyking" broadcasts were (& still are) Force Direction Messages -- important broadcasts, but lower priority than an actual JCS-directed EAM.

Token

EAMs are Flash Override precedence -- the highest priority, and many comm systems are set up for what's known as ruthless preemption -- a Flash Override message will seize the comm circuit for the EAM transmission, no matter what other comms may have been taking place by another user (including safety of life). That's a reason safety of flight/safety of life comms could be switched to a discrete freq whenever possible.

Back during the SAC Giant Talk network days, EAMs were given out at standard time periods, in addition of course to the potential for an EAM to be given out at any time. The routine EAM broadcast windows were known as "Alpha Monitor" periods, Alpha being a code for SIOP forces.

I believe what you're referring to as "Skyking" broadcasts were (& still are) Force Direction Messages -- important broadcasts, but lower priority than an actual JCS-directed EAM.

Hmmmm…I believe an issue here might be terminology. I have said it several times in the past, most listeners do not really know what kind of messages they are hearing on HF-GCS, and make some assumptions about them. Hobbyist have picked up the term EAM and apply it to all encoded “longer” traffic on the HF-GCS network, essentially anything coded that does not start with “Skyking, Skyking, do not answer” is called, by hobbyist, an "EAM". My response is (or was meant to be, but I see I should have worded it differently) that most messages that hobbyist call EAMs fall below Skyking in priority. And you are probably quite right that there is a confusion of EAMs, Skykings, and FDMs. However, I believe what most hobbyist hear and call EAMs are actually FDMs. For example, I have heard up to 20 "EAMs" (or what the hobby has called EAMs) in one hour (although 4 or 5 are more common), it seems unlikely to me that there would be that many highest priority override messages for hours on end. And yes I do understand the concept of lots of transmission, most with no value, to confuse opfor.

What I can say, for sure, is that more than once I have heard a Skyking preempt an in progress “EAM”, at least what hobbyist refer to as an EAM.

T!

(edit)

It would seem that several other sources agree with my order of priority on the HF-GCS.

http://www.cvni.net/radio/nsnl/nsnl000/nsnl0f.html
•All GHFS traffic will cease for an EAM transmission.
•All GHFS traffic will cease for a FOXTROT transmission.
•All EAM transmissions will immediately terminate for a FOXTROT bcst.
It further defines Skyking as a FOXTROT

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/eam.html
"These messages appear to have higher priority on the GHFS voice circuits than do the EAM transmissions as an EAM transmission will be terminated in midstring in order to immediately transmit these "SKYKING" DNA broadcasts."

Last edited:

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
EAM and SkyKing

Howdy

In my former days in AFCS/AFCC and SAC the SkyKing messages took highest priority in the HF area and would prempt EAM or other traffic, as required. Mostly directive to Nuclear capabile forces on Land-Air-Sea platforms.

Also, the reference to Flash Overide part is a bit dicy as that was mainly for Autovon (phone) and Autodin (data) at the time and thus, was not per se referenced to an EAM or SkyKing message, it might have been a method to start a process of an HF message. Although most wouldhave used SECVOX (secure voice) methods most likely....naturally the various message formats (Critical / NOFORN / SPECAT and several others....) all play key parts in Priority and delivery schemes too.

Things have certainly changed since the SAC days, we are just luckly the the bone-heads that tried to kill military HF in the mid-80's did-not get the final vote...

Thx

Bill

CalebATC

All sounds like is Reach 8050 stepping over a break by the station doing the EAM.

I would almost be 100% sure they are NOT using VOX. Unfortunately, I doubt we will being hearing any useful specs, or seeing any pictures of the stations :(

Hooligan

Howdy

Also, the reference to Flash Overide part is a bit dicy as that was mainly for Autovon (phone) and Autodin (data) at the time and thus, was not per se referenced to an EAM or SkyKing message, it might have been a method to start a process of an HF message. Although most wouldhave used SECVOX (secure voice) methods most likely....naturally the various message formats (Critical / NOFORN / SPECAT and several others....) all play key parts in Priority and delivery schemes too.

Bill

AUTODIN, using FO precedence was how the EAMs were distributed to the Giant Talk/SCOPE Signal stations for broadcast on HF...

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Eam

Howdy

Yep, as stated, one (1) of the 'methods' used was Autodin to distribute message traffic, as in EAM's....etc.....

Bill

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

SECVOX? What happened to AUTOSEVOCOM? I guess my military experience was longer ago..,

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Nope, you are correct, we just used "SECVOX" as short-name in Combat Comm's and Vox / RTTY and Orderwires...sometimes in the USAF / NATO units I was assigned to in in mid-1970's thru late 1980's time frame....

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.