numbers station 15721khz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Token

I don't know what dialect but it sounds like some Spanish language-anyone? I was listening to the world report on Radio New Zealand on 15720khz am when this thing just bled all over RNZI.

Definitely Russian language. I am pretty sure this is a numbers station that carries the Enigma 2000 designator S06, would have to hear the ending to be 100% sure.

What time was this at?

T!

Last edited:

ridgescan

I don't know why it rang Spanish to me-I was tired I guess:) anyways it happened at 0405utc till 0415utc. I was amazed at how they would do this only 1khz off of a broadcast transmission?? Next time I will try to get the whole thing on video.
Thanks for the replies:)

Last edited:

Token

I don't know why it rang Spanish to me-I was tired I guess:) anyways it happened at 0405utc till 0415utc. I was amazed at how they would do this only 1khz off of a broadcast transmission?? Next time I will try to get the whole thing on video.

Just because you could hear both the broadcast transmission and the numbers station does not mean the area of the intended recipient could hear both. If the intended recipient area was, for example, the east coast of the US or in Europe they might not have had an issue hearing RNZI. I have always assumed that S06 is aimed at a European area of operations.

Also, notice how clear it was for only being 1 kHz away? The key is that S06 transmits in USB + Carrier (or AM suppressed LSB, if you prefer). As such it puts all of its audio energy in the upper sideband…and the carrier was 1 kHz above the BC, so the audio was shifted away from the BC.

So, this was Sunday morning, August 28, at about 0405 UTC, I will have to keep an ear on that freq and time next week. As strong as it was for you and your QTH I wonder if another station has not jumped the pond.

T!

ridgescan

Just because you could hear both the broadcast transmission and the numbers station does not mean the area of the intended recipient could hear both. If the intended recipient area was, for example, the east coast of the US or in Europe they might not have had an issue hearing RNZI. I have always assumed that S06 is aimed at a European area of operations.

Also, notice how clear it was for only being 1 kHz away? The key is that S06 transmits in USB + Carrier (or AM suppressed LSB, if you prefer). As such it puts all of its audio energy in the upper sideband…and the carrier was 1 kHz above the BC, so the audio was shifted away from the BC.

So, this was Sunday morning, August 28, at about 0405 UTC, I will have to keep an ear on that freq and time next week. As strong as it was for you and your QTH I wonder if another station has not jumped the pond.

T!
Thank you T for the education! Yes I recall Majoco bringing this AM supressed thing up a while back. Fascinating to actually see it in use:)
Far as its strength well it must have been operating from Russia's eastern coast which I recieve here VERY well. When VOR out of Petropovslosk gets up on 15425khz it consistantly buries the needle.

satosi

If it was S06 I don't think it's operating in East Russia because I was able to hear it here once with the internal antenna in a Grundig receiver. That could have been extremely good propagation because I have been able to pick up S/SE Africa with the same receiver. But if it wasn't, maybe it was a station other than S06. or they transmit from different locations at different times?

brandon

Database Admin
This is very interesting. I wonder if this station could be related to the recent V07 activity?
It will be interesting to see if folks in Europe or the east coast are able to hear it.

ridgescan

Last edited:

Token

The ending that brandon caught makes it S06, no doubt.

It is unlikely the source is Asiatic Russia, more likely brandon and ridgescan have just had good conditions into both Europe and the Pacific at the same time during that time period. I have not had a chance to check yet myself, been too busy. Maybe tonight I will try, but S06 seldom uses the same freq three nights in a week.

S06 is still regularly, as in almost every day, active and heard in Europe on frequencies that would be regional only, they can not be heard in the US and definately are not heard in the Pacific area. So, either this is an identical format station from elswhere or it is simply good conditions to Europe. I vote for the later, since Europe was in extremely strong on my 20M SSTV web page at that time.

I had hoped that possibly an outlet for S06 was operating in the Pacific region, as it appears V07 has shifted to operations there, but the more i look at this the less I think S06 has moved, or another S06 has popped up.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.