Two PA-28 Piper Cherokee's crossing Atlantic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intellifax

8891 KHz 2209Z

I often listen to aircraft on HF, but it still gets my attention when I find something unusual. Just heard Gander talking to aircraft N2472Z, which was reporting Ops Normal for himself and N2545S. The "Ops Normal", a term not often heard from a civilian aircraft, and the fact that he was reporting for another aircraft made me look them up on FlightAware. Both are Piper PA-28 Cherokee single piston aircraft flown by Wings of Eagles Aircraft Delivery, crossing the Atlantic from Gander NLFD to the Azores. That's a 13+ hour flight in that little airplane going 120 knots. Hope they brought dinner, lunch, water, and lots of fuel.

2304Z: There's 3 of them out there, add N2575N to the group.

Last edited:

W0YGH

Feed Provider
TV show on Weather Channel

I stumbled across a program featuring Wings of Eagles operations, but I can't remember the title. I think it was on the Weather Channel. They ferry small planes all over the world. One episode followed the delivery of a Bonanza to Africa. They took the back seats out and welded up a stainless fuel tank that took up the whole back of the plane.

Rick

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
8891 KHz 2209Z

I often listen to aircraft on HF, but it still gets my attention when I find something unusual. Just heard Gander talking to aircraft N2472Z, which was reporting Ops Normal for himself and N2545S. The "Ops Normal", a term not often heard from a civilian aircraft, and the fact that he was reporting for another aircraft made me look them up on FlightAware. Both are Piper PA-28 Cherokee single piston aircraft flown by Wings of Eagles Aircraft Delivery, crossing the Atlantic from Gander NLFD to the Azores. That's a 13+ hour flight in that little airplane going 120 knots. Hope they brought dinner, lunch, water, and lots of fuel.

2304Z: There's 3 of them out there, add N2575N to the group.

Thats interesting.

majoco

Stirrer
Most commercial aircraft on over-water flights pass over a reporting point at reasonably frequent intervals, usually less than an hour and have to report their position and estimated time at the next reporting point to their HF control station.

However a small single engine aircraft on a delivery flight will take much longer to reach the next reporting point, so the controller instructs the aircraft to "make an ops normal call at time blah blah blah" so that he can keep track of him. He won't have HFDL either.

Food and water is not usually much of a problem, it's the lack of toilet stops!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

majoco said:
Most commercial aircraft on over-water flights pass over a reporting point at reasonably frequent intervals, usually less than an hour and have to report their position and estimated time at the next reporting point to their HF control station.

However a small single engine aircraft on a delivery flight will take much longer to reach the next reporting point, so the controller instructs the aircraft to "make an ops normal call at time blah blah blah" so that he can keep track of him. He won't have HFDL either.

Food and water is not usually much of a problem, it's the lack of toilet stops!

Depends! And take a dump just before you take off.

mgolden2

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; ZTE-Z990 Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Interesting TV show, called Plane Xtreme on The Weather Channel

http://press.weather.com/press-releases/the-weather-channel-soars-ahead-with-plane-xtreme/

D

DaveNF2G

NASA has a sort of astronaut Depends. They were made famous by the woman who stalked someone by car across several states.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I've tracked Cessna 172's that have made the hop to Hawaii and then on to the south pacific from California. What they do is put a spare fuel tank in the copilot's seat for the extra fuel required - and the flight type is typically 12-13 hours. By yourself. Ouch.

Definitely don't want to have any engine problems :)

Status
Not open for further replies.