Do you monitor ships on HF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If so, then this announcement from Eric KG4OZO is right up your alley (via UDXF)
==========
This is a general invitation to all those interested in international shipping.

We are a group of fellows from around the world that, for some years now, have been putting together an international shipping database of those ships actually heard on HF.

Currently we have participating members in Germany,Italy, France, the United Kingdom, Canada, U.S.A. and Australia.

Our database has now exceeded over 35,000 vessels heard primarily on 2,4,6,8,12 and 16MHz.

We produce an updated data base using Excel, and some other tools each month and provide it to our active members monthly.

If any of you would be interested in joining our group, I invite you to email me at eearle52 (at) comcast (dot) net (note: I have deliberately modified the email address to make it harder for spambots..mja) and I will be delighted to give you the rules of periodic log submission.
=====

HTH...Mike

Boombox

Sounds cool, except I haven't heard a ship on the HF Maritime bands in a long time. When I'm tuning the bands, obviously they just ain't on....

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A lot of ships are using digital modes now - there's an ongoing thread on the UDXF Yahoo group of folks using Rivet that are logging and identifying ships

In addition, fixes to Rivet are announced on the UDXF, along with a list of ships that I think it uses in the decode process...Mike

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
If so, then this announcement from Eric KG4OZO is right up your alley (via UDXF)
Any idea how this might work? I perused UDXF yesterday but didn't get much info (and no, I didn't e-mail him yet). I am wondering if you have to be an active submitter to be eligible for receiving the database of freqs...?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would check how you are searching the UDXF Yahoo group - if you use 'GW FSK' along with its variations (gw fsk, and just GW) (which is the mode Globe Wireless uses, and Rivet can decode) and 'Rivet' you're going to find a slowly growing stream of traffic on both

Just a reminder that we have a dedicated forum for non-ham HF digital traffic - however, questions about Rivet, the ships database that it uses and updates should go to the UDXF group, as Ian is watching there.

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.